PDA

View Full Version : please help. Question about screws and screwdriver stuff

gamblore99
04-30-2005, 02:19 PM
My movers are coming in a little more than 1 hour. I have to take apart my desk. It is a 3 piece desk. There is only 1 screw that needs to be undone, but because of where it is placed I can't really put enoughtorque(?) on it. The screw has become deformed to make the it impossible to get a good placement for the screw heading. I tried shaving a deeper crescent for the screw head, but then again it just got deformed. It appears the screw is stuck.

Trainwreck
04-30-2005, 03:39 PM
You need a special tool, I'd just inform the movers of the situation and they can take it as is.

If it's phillips head, I usually manage with a flat head, but if it's really awkward or absolutely stripped, yeah you need a special tool, or drill the sob out.

>TW<

NoTalent
04-30-2005, 05:36 PM
Sounds like you're screwed

/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

But seriously, like TW said you will need to try another screwdriver or get a drill to take it out. Look here:
http://alsnetbiz.com/homeimprovement/damaged_screw.html

bholdr
04-30-2005, 05:48 PM
this probably won't work if you can barely get at it with a screwdriver, but there is a drill bit that one can use that is designed to remove stripped screws and bolts. ask your local hardware store, they'll be able to point you in the right direction. a carbide square or chisel-tip punch, knocked a couple milimeters into the screw and turned with a pair of vice grips will do in a pinch.

you could also try using a penetrating lubricant (not astroglide, mind you). they usually loosen up stuck screws enough to get it out even if it is a little deformed. try the least viscous oil you have lying around- that may do it.

mason55
04-30-2005, 05:49 PM
Since you posted this 3 and a half hours ago, I'm curious how it turned out.

Ray Zee
04-30-2005, 08:07 PM
take a bit and epoxy it in the screw. then back it out. next time dont strip it, make sure you have a good purchase on it before turning. or go buy an easy out, that will do it as well. but i bet the movers did it with no trouble.