PDA

View Full Version : All the sugars at the bottom of my iced coffee...

tbach24
04-30-2005, 11:22 AM
I tried using the straw to mix it up, but it stayed.
I tried swirling it around, but it stayed.
I tried shaking it, but it stayed.

Suggestions?

mmbt0ne
04-30-2005, 11:25 AM
You've already put 2 things too many in your coffee. Just dump it out and start over.

mmcd
04-30-2005, 11:25 AM
Buy your iced coffee at a place where they are not morons and dissolve the sugar in hot water.

Uglyowl
04-30-2005, 11:26 AM
Too late now, but next time use Equal.

tbach24
[ QUOTE ]
Buy your iced coffee at a place where they are not morons and dissolve the sugar in hot water.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, but I am loyal to Dunkin' Donuts and this is not a common thing to happen.

Lazymeatball
this would suggest that your coffee is already supersaturated with sugar, therefore it is impossible to dissolve any more sugar at it's present temperature and pressure. Why do you need this much sugar?

tbach24
04-30-2005, 11:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Too late now, but next time use Equal.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is Equal like Splenda?

tbach24
04-30-2005, 11:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You've already put 2 things too many in your coffee. Just dump it out and start over.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have milk in there too /images/graemlins/grin.gif

tbach24
04-30-2005, 11:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
this would suggest that your coffee is already supersaturated with sugar, therefore it is impossible to dissolve any more sugar at it's present temperature and pressure. Why do you need this much sugar?

[/ QUOTE ]

It doesnt taste very sugary...

gorie
04-30-2005, 11:29 AM
coffee is for old people.

mmbt0ne
04-30-2005, 11:36 AM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />

[/ QUOTE ]

In all seriousness, this is the right answer. The guy probably just made a mistake this time.

Lazymeatball
04-30-2005, 11:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

In all seriousness, this is the right answer. The guy probably just made a mistake this time.

[/ QUOTE ]

won't the sugar just precipitate once the ice cools down the coffee?

mmbt0ne
04-30-2005, 11:49 AM
hmmm, while I'm certainly not even the chemistry mind I was 3 years ago, I believe the coffee will stay supersaturated for a while before the sugar precipitates out. IIRC, this is how rock candy is made.

Freakin
04-30-2005, 12:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
hmmm, while I'm certainly not even the chemistry mind I was 3 years ago, I believe the coffee will stay supersaturated for a while before the sugar precipitates out. IIRC, this is how rock candy is made.

[/ QUOTE ]

Correctish. Though I don't beleive the sugar will ever 'precipitate out.' It will remain in solution once it is dissolved.

Freakin

mmbt0ne
04-30-2005, 12:18 PM
I'm pretty sure it does precipitate out after a while. Not that it's important to the discussion at hand.

http://www.mpcfaculty.net/mark_bishop/supersaturated.htm

Freakin
04-30-2005, 01:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm pretty sure it does precipitate out after a while. Not that it's important to the discussion at hand.

http://www.mpcfaculty.net/mark_bishop/supersaturated.htm

[/ QUOTE ]

You are correct. I guess that's what makes rock candy possible....

Freakin

Jack of Arcades
04-30-2005, 01:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is because more of a substance dissolves in hot water than it does in cold water. So in your cold coffee, most of the sugar didn't desolve, so it isn't sweet at all.

VayaConDios
04-30-2005, 02:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is because more of a substance dissolves in hot water than it does in cold water. So in your cold coffee, most of the sugar didn't desolve, so it isn't sweet at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Congratulations, you understand second grade science.

DemonDeac
04-30-2005, 02:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, but I am loyal to Dunkin' Donuts and this is not a common thing to happen.

[/ QUOTE ]

just get their regular coffee at dunkin donuts. their coffee is awesome. they load it with sugar, which i assume u enjoy

tbach24
04-30-2005, 02:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

just get their regular coffee at dunkin donuts. their coffee is awesome. they load it with sugar, which i assume u enjoy

[/ QUOTE ]

It definetly is, I'm just more of an iced coffee guy.

Jack of Arcades
04-30-2005, 03:04 PM
ty, I try to educate whenever possible.

Soul Daddy
04-30-2005, 03:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm fairly certain that it's also also loaded with crack.

jba
04-30-2005, 05:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm fairly certain that it's also also loaded with crack.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can confirm this.

peachy
04-30-2005, 05:30 PM
none besides heating it up lol theres nothing u can do that i know of...cause ur cold coffee isnt gonna disolve them

tbach24
04-30-2005, 05:32 PM
My final solution was to add more sugar while stirring intensely and then drinking it quickly. Kinda worked

The Goober
04-30-2005, 05:59 PM
here's what I do... hold your straw so that the end of it is near the bottom of the cup, but not quite. If you stick it all the way down, you'll start sucking up lots and lots of sugar, bring it up a bit, and you won't get any. The trick is to hover the straw at the right distance so that some sugar gets sucked up, but not too much.

JaBlue
04-30-2005, 06:04 PM
solution: drink your coffee like a man

DcifrThs
04-30-2005, 06:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I tried using the straw to mix it up, but it stayed.
I tried swirling it around, but it stayed.
I tried shaking it, but it stayed.

Suggestions?

[/ QUOTE ]
heat it up (the coffee), dissolve it (the sugar), ice it (the combo).

-Barron