PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible for me to pick an interesting hand to post?

Munga30
04-30-2005, 11:01 AM
Or am I lacking in that certain something that makes for good discussion?

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (8 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Table was nice, somewhat loosey and not too aggressive. Villian is 44/8 preflop, after which he has 1.3 agg and sees showdowns at a 44% clip. He's also been table coaching and berating players a bit. Is this the right way to play him? Should I follow through on the river?

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with 9/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (4 SB) 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, MP2 calls, SB calls.

Turn: (6.50 BB) K/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP2 folds, SB calls.

River: (10.50 BB) 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks

Is the question here so easy that I shouldn't bother posting hands?

brazilio
04-30-2005, 11:05 AM
I'm raising preflop. What's the reason for raising the turn and checking through the river again? I still don't think I've read a good explanation when it's proper to be doing that.

CallMeIshmael
04-30-2005, 11:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
What's the reason for raising the turn and checking through the river again? I still don't think I've read a good explanation when it's proper to be doing that.

[/ QUOTE ]

In this hand...

If hero calls the turn, then calls the river, he puts 2 BB in, right?

If hero raises the turn, and checks the river, he also puts 2 BBs in.

But, the latter has folding equity vs the bettor, AND lets hero push out a player behind him. (and, of course opens to a 3-bet... but a 3-bet = we're dead/close to it normally anyway)

FWIW, Im not giving an opinion on the raise, just what it does in this situation.

ErrantNight
04-30-2005, 11:46 AM
it's your avatar.

Nick C
04-30-2005, 12:08 PM
I would have raised preflop, but otherwise I like it so far.

SB's turn bet (following the flop checkraise) certainly looks like it could have been motivated by the absence of a third diamond on the turn. Of course, you could be behind, but facing MP2 with two cold has its merits, especially if you are ahead and MP2 is on a draw.

Annoyingly, if SB 3-bets, I think tossing your outs versus K /images/graemlins/diamond.gif x /images/graemlins/diamond.gif or whatever else he has is probably best. (Well, I don't know. I guess it could be 73s or K7 or K3. But, fortunately, it didn't come to that, and you weren't faced with the decision.)

I wish I knew what was best on the river. I think SB could easily just have a worse 9, and he might call with that. All the same, what I'd most likely actually do is check behind.

Munga30
04-30-2005, 12:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
it's your avatar.

[/ QUOTE ]
What's your excuse? /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

rmarotti
04-30-2005, 12:40 PM
Um. . . his avatar rules?

PokerBob
04-30-2005, 02:10 PM
IMO this is a check behind. He's not very aggressive post-flop, and he lead into you on the turn when the K hit. If he was merely betting the scare card, I think he'd have folded to your raise, but he see an awful lot of SD's....hmmmmmm. OK, I changed my mind. I think I bet and expext to be shown a worse 9 often enough to make the bet profitable.

Munga30
05-01-2005, 07:27 PM
I check behind. SB tables Q /images/graemlins/club.gif 9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif and MHIG.

I will try harder to find this raise preflop. Obviously somewhat table dependent, but how low do you go? Is A7s acceptable in this particular spot?

I find the betting arguments to be a little more persuasive than the checking arguments. I also think this guy would have called with it because of his table coaching. After showdown, he chats "wild, just wild," to which I reply, "I had a good feeling about that hand." My goofy comebacks need work too.