PDA

View Full Version : She Made It Up! (long quoted story from CNN)

Los Feliz Slim
04-30-2005, 09:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
(CNN) -- A Georgia woman, who was found in New Mexico early Saturday and who said she had been abducted, admitted today she had made up the story because she was nervous about her upcoming wedding, police said.

Albuquerque Police Chief Ray Schultz said Jennifer Wilbanks, 32, had told them she had taken a bus to Las Vegas, Nevada, and on Saturday had taken another bus to New Mexico.

Earlier, Wilbanks had told family members and police that she had been abducted by a man and a woman in a van. She was to be married Saturday.

"Agents and detectives learned Miss Wilbanks had become scared and concerned about her pending marriage and decided she needed some time alone," Schultz said.

Police in New Mexico and Georgia said she will face no criminal charges, despite her false kidnapping story.

"It has been determined that Jennifer has some issues the family was not aware of. We're looking forward to loving her and talking with her concerning these issues," family spokesman Mike Satterfield said, reading a statement.

"There have been so many people who helped us through this and we want to thank all of them," Satterfield said.

Abduction claim

Wilbanks called her fiance, John Mason, at his Duluth, Georgia, home from an Albuquerque pay phone at 1 a.m. EDT Saturday to say she had freed by two strangers who abducted her Tuesday night, Mason said.

Within minutes, Albuquerque Police found Wilbanks at a 7-Eleven convenience store.

Wilbanks, who was to be married to Mason in Duluth, was last seen by her fiance Tuesday night, when she left the home she shares with him for a jog about 8:30 p.m.

Earlier, Pastor Alan Jones, who was to preside at the wedding said Wilbanks told him her abductors "came up behind her, cut her hair and put her in a blue van," Jones said.

Schultz said Wilbanks' hair has been cut.

Among the clues found during the search that followed her disappearance was a clump of hair along the route she was believed to have been jogging.

Family members are expected to fly to Albuquerque Saturday morning to be with her.

Disappearance drew national attention

News of Wilbanks' admission comes just hours after police in Georgia announced they would suspend their ground search for her, saying they've looked everywhere she may have been.

Her disappearance quickly drew national media attention, including talk show speculation sometimes comparing the story to that of Laci Peterson, the pregnant woman who disappeared from her Modesto, California, home on Christmas Eve, 2002. In that case, husband Scott Peterson was convicted of murder and sentenced to death.

Wilbanks' fiance said he tried not to get upset about the media comparisons to the Peterson case since he knew her family had faith in him.

"I never worried that they were going to point their fingers at me," Mason said.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just watched her friend on CNN defending what she did because of how much "pressure" she was under from planning her wedding.

I'm pretty sure I will not be the only outraged person here.

kurosh
04-30-2005, 09:54 AM
I'm pretty pissed off at the fact that this made national news in the first place. Who the [censored] cares? Just because it's some rich white christian, the entire [censored] world has to know about it? God damn.

Los Feliz Slim
04-30-2005, 10:02 AM
I agree, I think the media assumed that either the fiance killed her, and they had another Scott Peterson story to keep them going for the next three years; or she ran off, which would last a week or so. Almost like they knew...

JMP300z
04-30-2005, 10:19 AM
BOOYAH...I was at lunch yesterday and my friend was talking about this and i told her it was just premarraige jitters even though I hadnt even seen the story or heard anything about this...she said no way. Man im going to throw this in her face.

a gloating..
-JP

Uglyowl
04-30-2005, 11:25 AM
I owe the future husband an apology I guess. I thought I knew for sure he killed her and dumped her in a river. She should get 25 years and jailed and fined the amount that the police spent searching for her.

Brown Thumb
04-30-2005, 11:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I owe the future husband an apology I guess. I thought I knew for sure he killed her and dumped her in a river. She should get 25 years and jailed and fined the amount that the police spent searching for her.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a harsh punishment for proving you wrong.

mmbt0ne
04-30-2005, 11:37 AM
Why? She didn't ask to be searched for. It's ridiculous to fine her because the spent time searching for her.

EDIT: Oh, so she did tell the police she was kidnapped. But that was after they had found her, not before they started searching, so I still don't know.

OtisTheMarsupial
04-30-2005, 11:52 AM
Uh, excuse me...?

Where in the story did it say police spent hours and hours searching for her?

I'm guessing that they had a good idea it was a hoax from the beginning that is WHY they are not pressing charges.

Seriously, how many kidnappers cut hair during the abduction?

- Otis the logical

tech
04-30-2005, 11:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Why? She didn't ask to be searched for.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope you are kidding. They assumed she was really abducted. How exactly is a real kidnapping victim supposed to ask for a search?

mmbt0ne
04-30-2005, 12:02 PM
Ok, they assumed she was abducted. They were wrong. Why should she be jailed/fined because of this?

tech
04-30-2005, 12:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Why should she be jailed/fined because of this?

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't say she should. I just think her fiance and her family should beat the **** out of her when she gets back. She voluntarily put them through hell.

mmbt0ne
04-30-2005, 12:15 PM
Oh yeah, familial beatings I'm fine with. Just so long as there's no police punishment.

threeonefour
04-30-2005, 12:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

filing a false report?

perhaps she didn't actually file a report but i am pretty sure it is illegal to give the police fake leads, or generate a false report, or just make up crimes...

BeerMoney
04-30-2005, 01:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

filing a false report?

perhaps she didn't actually file a report but i am pretty sure it is illegal to give the police fake leads, or generate a false report, or just make up crimes...

[/ QUOTE ]

It is. The reason she's not charged with anything is cause she's a woman. Some dumb [censored] at my schoool made up a story about being raped, and police let her off the hook.

kurosh
04-30-2005, 01:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

filing a false report?

[/ QUOTE ]

It is. The reason she's not charged with anything is cause she's a white rich woman. Some dumb [censored] at my schoool made up a story about being raped, and police let her off the hook.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

Trainwreck
04-30-2005, 02:08 PM
Wife and I were just laughing about this.

Coldfeet is unfortunately not a crime, and either is lying (without a real crime) or we poker players would all be in deep.

Her BF should dump her quick now!
She's going to be too much baggage now, getting stared at and cussed at in public for years to come, well hell maybe he likes that kind of thing.

LOL!

I think she should be forced to marry each of the 7 folks suing Denny's for $28 Million, they deserve each other.

On the + side she did survive a LONG bus ride ALONE, I've been on a LONG bus ride before, it's almost torture.

>TW<

B Dids
04-30-2005, 02:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I sure hope you are. This is far too meaningless to get anybody "outraged".

mmbt0ne
04-30-2005, 02:39 PM
There was a false police report for maybe 4 hours before she changed her story. It's not like she had cops out searching the hillsides for a week and a half before telling them the truth. Nobody should ever get charged for something like this.

Los Feliz Slim
04-30-2005, 02:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I sure hope you are. This is far too meaningless to get anybody "outraged".

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't find this woman's treatment of her fiance, friends, and family outrageous? How about the way she chose to run away rather than deal with the predicament she was in? Or the implication that what she did was understandable because of all the "pressure" she was under?

I'm pretty hyper-sensitive to personal commitments, I guess, but this got under my skin. I couldn't care less about what the police do with her, I'm talking about the complete lack of personal responsibility and consideration for others.

Tacjedi
04-30-2005, 02:53 PM
I blame the fiance. If he cant keep her in line now then he never is going to be able to.

They should give the fiance a fine of about $25 to make a point.

Trainwreck
04-30-2005, 02:56 PM
The BF should get dozens of 'I'm with stupid' T Shirts.

and if he still marries her now, she should get dozens of 'I'm with stupid' T Shirts.

The wedding had to be canceled but still paid for.... just blew a nice chunk...

All of her stuff would be outside my house on the lawn if my GF pulled a stunt like that.

I'm married though, my wife agreed! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

>TW<

tech
04-30-2005, 03:01 PM
The dude is probably better off with this happening. For a few days of hell, he finds out before the marriage that this chick is a nutcase. Now he can dump her ass, have everyone feel sorry for him, and come out golden.

Luv2DriveTT
04-30-2005, 03:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
fined the amount that the police spent searching for her.

[/ QUOTE ]

AMEN. It will probably happen due to the false report.

TT /images/graemlins/club.gif