PDA

View Full Version : Question for all you computer experts

vulturesrow
04-30-2005, 08:09 AM
On my laptop (running Windows XP) I used to have two parittions on my hard drive. Yesterday I decided to unpartition so I used the XP disk management utility to delete the logical drive and partition. How do I reallocate that unallocated space back to the C drive?

snappo
04-30-2005, 08:15 AM
http://www.partitionmagic.com/partitionmagic/

That will work, but you'll have to pay. There are probably free utilities that will do the job if you do a search on google.

vulturesrow
04-30-2005, 09:24 AM
Yeah I was hoping that some people had some ideas besided Partition Magic, as I dont want to pay for it just for this.

Freakin
04-30-2005, 12:15 PM
I don't trust some free piece of disk management software to repartition my system drive. Get partition magic.

Freakin

mason55
04-30-2005, 02:18 PM
Diskpart (http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/diskpart.mspx)

It's built into Windows XP and will do what you want.

Trainwreck
04-30-2005, 03:53 PM
There are other partition products out there also, but PM rocks.

Instead though, just backup all your important fare, and just wipe and drop and using XP CD Bootable it will let you wipe the hard drive.

I suggest two partitions though, one for XP, one for DATA, so you can wipe XP whenever it needs it without having to mess with important data.

12 gigs is plenty for the XP partition.

>TW<

mason55
04-30-2005, 03:59 PM
Yeah, why did you unpartition anyways? Having a partition for windows and a partition for data is a good thing.

vulturesrow
04-30-2005, 04:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
There are other partition products out there also, but PM rocks.

Instead though, just backup all your important fare, and just wipe and drop and using XP CD Bootable it will let you wipe the hard drive.

I suggest two partitions though, one for XP, one for DATA, so you can wipe XP whenever it needs it without having to mess with important data.

12 gigs is plenty for the XP partition.

>TW<

[/ QUOTE ]

Diskpart was exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!!

vulturesrow
04-30-2005, 06:29 PM
Mostly because my laptop has a 20 gig HD and I found myself butting against my partition limits pretty quick. If you guys want to give me some other suggestions on how I should partition,feel free. Im always looking for ways to optimize my computers.