PDA

View Full Version : IQ Test Question

Cornell Fiji
04-30-2005, 07:53 AM
There was a post in Mid-High NLPL yesterday about IQs that linked to an IQ test. There were two questions (copied below) that completely baffled me from the 'culture fair' test. If anyone can explain this I would appreciate it:

IQ Tests (http://www.highiqsociety.org/noflash/nonmembers/iqtests.htm)

http://www.highiqsociety.org/img/gif/iqtests/cf15q.gif

Determine the next item in the series.
B,C,D,E,F

http://www.highiqsociety.org/img/gif/iqtests/cf14q.gif
B,C,D,E,F

I don't get it...

-Steve

soah
04-30-2005, 08:02 AM
I thought many of the puzzles were fairly easy (and the score I received tends to indicate that I got most of them correct) but those had me completely baffled.

ethan
04-30-2005, 09:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I thought many of the puzzles were fairly easy (and the score I received tends to indicate that I got most of them correct) but those had me completely baffled.

[/ QUOTE ]

I took the test, but these looked hard so I didn't do them /images/graemlins/smile.gif (There were also a few of the "which solid can't be made by folding this 2D shape" questions I skipped because they looked like they might take awhile.) I still ended up with 151, which leads me to think that this test may be skewed towards helping people qualify to purchase a $60 membership.

Even after a little more thought, I don't have an answer I'm happy with for these. I have a few thoughts on how one might solve them, but no concrete solution yet.

Roan
04-30-2005, 10:18 AM
These tests aren't legit. A real IQ test is designed to be used on kids under 15 to determine learning disabilities. Anyone who takes these tests as a 30 year old and scores really high is fooling themselves, and anyone who still brags about what their IQ score was when they were 12 is just a retard, regardless of IQ.

kurosh
04-30-2005, 10:31 AM
Count up the lines going out of the nodes for the second one. J has 3. I has 4. H has 5. Do you see? F is the answer.

I can't figure out the first one but I assume it's something similar.

mmbt0ne
04-30-2005, 10:42 AM
G and C both have 6. Why did it go to C over G?

kurosh
04-30-2005, 10:50 AM
Because there's no node that has 7 coming out of G? More likely because the test creators screwed it up. I'm nearly positive that's the right answer since there isn't really anything else to look at.

tek
04-30-2005, 11:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
...which leads me to think that this test may be skewed towards helping people qualify to purchase a $60 membership.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's also used to qulaify for the $4k/$8k game with Skuhlansky & friends /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Matt Flynn
04-30-2005, 11:56 AM
1. E - always choose the path with the most links. When given a choice of paths with the same number of links, go right. The little dots at the ends of some of the lines are not used.
2. F - explained

These tests are poor because there are often multiple reasonable rulesets that can be applied to come up with alternative answers.

Matt

purnell
04-30-2005, 11:57 AM
Guessing here, and probably wrong:

1) There seems to be a pattern of increasing complexity that culminates at A, and then wanes as we go through B,C,D, and E. So my guess is "B".

2) J has 3 "roads" leading out of it.
---I has 4
---H has 5
---C has 6
---A has 7
---F has 8, and is the only one with 8, so my guess is "F"

edit: Oops, I hadn't looked. I see the answers have been posted. /images/graemlins/blush.gif

Duke
04-30-2005, 12:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
These tests are poor because there are often multiple reasonable rulesets that can be applied to come up with alternative answers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ding.

That's one of the primary problems with all IQ tests, since to make it difficult you have to present some conflicting information that could lead to another reasonable solution.

This is why I tend to think someone is smart based not on numeric IQ scores, but instead on how they approach the problems and what sort of insights they have into them. The answer is almost irrelevent, since whatever random answer the testmakers picked is also irrelevent.

~D

purnell
04-30-2005, 12:41 PM
A connects to both E and B with three links. Which one is "to the right"? Also, if we choose E, where do we go from there?

edit: re the first puzzle

youtalkfunny
04-30-2005, 12:44 PM
I'm going with B and D.

I'm working with the assumption that you eventually will touch each letter once, without repeating any, and finish on a spot connected to your starting spot, so you can take another lap if you like.

In the first problem, when you're given F to A, you've got two options to finish the series: BCDE, or EDCB. BCDE is the one that will take you back to where you started.

Second problem, I say "D". Again, try to map a path that touches them all, and leaves you in position to get to the circle you started on.

Those who doubt me, suck [censored] by choice!

DcifrThs
04-30-2005, 01:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Count up the lines going out of the nodes for the second one. J has 3. I has 4. H has 5. Do you see? F is the answer.

I can't figure out the first one but I assume it's something similar.

[/ QUOTE ]

A is the answer to 2 b/c ther are indeed 7 lines from it (2,2,1,1,1).

as for #1 there are a few patters to look for:
1) the direction
2) the # of nodes ... it goes 1/1/1/2/2/3 so the next one should likely go 3/2/2/1/1/1 to unwind the series or 2/2/1/1/1 to go through.
3) the circles within the spaces. it goes no circle, nc, single circle, no circle, no circle, single circle at F but then there's no other guy w/o a circle to continue the pattern

-Barron

purnell
04-30-2005, 01:17 PM
"G and C both have 6. Why did it go to C over G? "

We are given that the series runs, J, I, H, C, A..., but we are not given that the series includes all the nodes.

purnell
04-30-2005, 01:30 PM
"...is just a retard, regardless of IQ. "

...speaks for itself.

Trainwreck
04-30-2005, 03:48 PM
I agree that is ridiculous, one could spend far too much time having self doubt on the answer and during a TIMED IQ test this matters, A LOT!

I came up with same answers as you did, wondering if this really just wanted you to go the shortest way to back to the first one, of course no info given on why the first ones go in the order, making this test very STRANGE.

The part to these tests that usually gets me is the spacial relations, taking pieces and trying to make something out of them.

TICKLE.com has me as genius, btw... LOL!

>TW<

contentless
04-30-2005, 04:06 PM
I'm going to say C and F. F for reasons already enumerated, C by following the path of smallest primes as determined by connecting edges. 3, 3, 5, 5, 7, 13, 7.

I echo the sentiment that it's stupid because there are so many possible alternate answers.

tripdad
04-30-2005, 04:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
These tests aren't legit. A real IQ test is designed to be used on kids under 15 to determine learning disabilities. Anyone who takes these tests as a 30 year old and scores really high is fooling themselves, and anyone who still brags about what their IQ score was when they were 12 is just a retard, regardless of IQ.

[/ QUOTE ]

there is a built in scoring curve based on age. that is why, when taking an IQ test, it always asks your age. for example, a 12 year old who gets exactly the same answers to all the questions as a 20 year old does, scores higher.

cheers!

i wanna be me
04-30-2005, 04:57 PM
god these are easy.....