PDA

View Full Version : is there really much skill to fishing?

TStoneMBD
04-30-2005, 07:05 AM
with all the technology out there that shows fishermen where all the fish are centralized, is there really much skill left in fishing tournaments? is there really a skill for throwing the line into the lake that seperates the men from the boys?

juanez
04-30-2005, 07:08 AM
Are you serious? Getting a worm on a hook without getting worm shiit on your hands is incredibly difficult. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Blarg
04-30-2005, 07:22 AM
Especially not squealing like a little girl when you do it.

JTrout
04-30-2005, 02:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
is there really a skill for throwing the line into the lake that seperates the men from the boys?

[/ QUOTE ]

absolutely. not only the casting into tight spots, but how it is presented is also key. (bass fishing)

vulturesrow
04-30-2005, 02:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
is there really a skill for throwing the line into the lake that seperates the men from the boys?

[/ QUOTE ]

absolutely. not only the casting into tight spots, but how it is presented is also key. (bass fishing)

[/ QUOTE ]

Presentation is key and also what you are throwing is important as well. Knowing where the fish is usually not the hard part. Being able to read the conditions and present the correct lure in the right manner is what is important.

mason55
04-30-2005, 02:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Please explain. I've been watching this thread intently because I've always wondered how there could be so much skill that they can make huge tournaments and stuff.

jakethebake
04-30-2005, 02:47 PM
None at all. It's just luck. <font color="white"> Don't tap the tank. </font>

tech
04-30-2005, 03:04 PM
If there isn't, then why do the same dudes always place high in big tournaments. My guess is that somewhere on a fishing message board, somebody just posted "Is there really much skill to poker?"

tripdad
04-30-2005, 03:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If there isn't, then why do the same dudes always place high in big tournaments. My guess is that somewhere on a fishing message board, somebody just posted "Is there really much skill to poker?"

[/ QUOTE ]

and there are probably just as many bad beat stories as well. "i swear he had to be a 10 pounder. got him right up to the boat...damn that XXbrand 4lb. test line! i'm switching to YYbrand!"

cheers!

mason55
04-30-2005, 03:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Because fishing is rigged, just like online poker.

Trainwreck
04-30-2005, 03:35 PM
The casual fisherman don't give a hoot:

Fishing is popular because:

#1 Time with the boys!

#2 Lots of drinking!

#3 Quiet time away from the SO and/or kids!

I know, due to many a fishing trip when I was younger and all the older folks would fish for hours and hours and just come back for more beer and sleep, rinse and repeat.

We did sneak some poker in on occasion if the weather went bad on us.

As a watchable pro sport? To me anyhow, it's a joke.

And you think poker requires luck? Got nothing on fishing....

&gt;TW&lt;

GuyOnTilt
04-30-2005, 04:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If there isn't, then why do the same dudes always place high in big tournaments.

[/ QUOTE ]

My guess is that how nice their equipment is, aka. who has the spendiest sponsorship deals, will make a big difference. So the rich get richer, which would make it much more likely for the same group of guys to be consistently at the very top of tournaments. I know nothing about fishing and I'm not saying there isn't skill to it, but I would think this effect would be present to some extent.

GoT

Freakin
04-30-2005, 04:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
None at all. It's just luck. <font color="white"> Don't tap the tank. </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

I love it.

Freakin

peachy
04-30-2005, 04:20 PM
depends on what kind of fishing ur doing and for what kind of fish....so yes there is a great deal of skill in some...

and then uve gotta know what type of bait/lure/fly to use in that time of yr in that particular whether

i fly fish with barb less hooks for 10lb + rainbow trout in GA and for tarpon in the keys....id say those arent for ur average idiot - plus both of these are in very shallow water so u have to keep a low profile too...with the tarpon uve got to be able to cast the fly rod out over 80 ft consistently - something thats not easy and take a world of practice in my opinion

the fish being there can be a lil luck...but this also takes knowing the type of fish - knowing where they like to stay in what wheather or what time of the year, etc etc.

sure any tard can catch a fish or two outta luck....but it takes knowledge and practice in some forms of fishing

RocketManJames
04-30-2005, 04:36 PM
Fishing with equipment is weak... it's all about Okie Noodling (bare-handed catfishing).

Here's a Pic (http://www.aptonline.org/catalog.nsf/0/7CBC89693658D99685256B8B0060BEF3/$FILE/okie+noodling.jpg).

-RMJ

Benal
04-30-2005, 04:49 PM
Knowledge of the lake and its structures are key.

guller
04-30-2005, 07:42 PM
Wow you fish for tarpon with a fly rod. Thats gotta be some fight, how does the rod hold?

I just caught a 75 lb'er last weekend in Key West, charter though. Current fishing with a hunk of fish and lots of chum. She fought for over an hour.

peachy
04-30-2005, 07:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Wow you fish for tarpon with a fly rod. Thats gotta be some fight, how does the rod hold?

I just caught a 75 lb'er last weekend in Key West, charter though. Current fishing with a hunk of fish and lots of chum. She fought for over an hour.

[/ QUOTE ]

hahah yes it holds...they make bigger fly rods and higher test for it...yes its a fight...and the larger ones can take a few hrs...but its well worth it and feels like an accomplishment getting one in on a fly rod!

SpearsBritney
04-30-2005, 08:29 PM
First of all, you have to know where the fish are. This is pretty common knowledge among pro fishermen, but the key is once you find them, you have to make sure that there aren't too many other fishermen in the same party.
If you do find a sweet spot you have to be very aggressive, because before long more fishermen will come along and scare away all the fish.
It's aslo very important to have some sort of tracking device to monitor and keep track of the fish. This is a very useful tool and can dramatically increase the size of your catch. For instance, sometimes the fish will be very timid and lazy, while other times they'll be very aggressive, and splash all over the place once you have them on the line. It's always good to know beforehand just what type of fish you'll be dealing with.
Another important, but often overlooked aspect is to always make sure you have enough bait. I can think of nothing worse than to be staring at the biggest fish you've ever seen, and suddenly realize that you've just run out.
So as you can see, there is a great deal of skill involved, but no matter how hard you try to explain this, most people, it would seem, would rather believe it is just luck.

M2d
04-30-2005, 09:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]

My guess is that how nice their equipment is, aka. who has the spendiest sponsorship deals, will make a big difference.

[/ QUOTE ]
not really. The only advantage sponsorship deals gives to the top anglers is the ability to stay in nicer hotels on tour.
nicer reels don't mean much, since pros can cast anything. the super duper anti backlash reels are great for joe schmoe who just fishes on weekends and cant cast a lick. all the extra features do things the pros can already do with standard equipment.
same goes for rod sponsorships, lures, line, etc. if it works, the pros will already have it or be able to approximate it with their equipment.

for fly fishing, look up lee wulff. I saw a video of him casting a fly line thirty feet. without a rod. there's a reason he was usually on fish when everyone else was skunked.

brassnuts
04-30-2005, 10:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
is there really much skill to fishing?

[/ QUOTE ]

There must be because I never catch anything.

masse75
04-30-2005, 11:02 PM
Not if you're using dynamite.

Linky (http://www.darwinawards.com/darwin/darwin1998-07.html)