PDA

View Full Version : Any speculation on future Dell deals?

Jeff W
04-30-2005, 03:36 AM
I need to purchase a new desktop pc and 2 Dell 2001FPs.

I missed out on the last Dell deals. I am graduating next month and I'd like to have my set up in CA by May 16. My 256 MB Ram laptop is not cutting it.

Will there probably be another deal on monitors in the next two weeks or should I just bite the bullet and pay the $600? Should I wait for another deal on Dell desktops or should I build my own?

Thanks for the help.

mcozzy1
04-30-2005, 03:39 AM
New computers depreciate so fast in value. I don't know why people get new ones. You can get a used PIV for $200. This is plenty fast enough to multitable, run PT, and playerview.

MissOt
04-30-2005, 03:47 AM
dont get a dell desktop. find someone who knows something about computers and have them help you build one. you will save a lot of money and can get a much better comp. i just built my computer for about $850 and if i went dell it would be around $1500 and not even as good.

Jeff W
04-30-2005, 03:51 AM
What is a PIV?

I am cool with buying a used computer or building my own, but I want to avoid downtime that is going to cost me money in the long run. Therefore, I need a reliable PC.

I want to run 6-8 tables, PV and PT at the same time.

didymus
04-30-2005, 07:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
What is a PIV?

I am cool with buying a used computer or building my own, but I want to avoid downtime that is going to cost me money in the long run. Therefore, I need a reliable PC.

I want to run 6-8 tables, PV and PT at the same time.

[/ QUOTE ]
That really doesnt require a new computer, or even an almost new one..

RunDownHouse
04-30-2005, 12:06 PM
Jeff,

Like your title says, this is speculation, but I definitely would not pay over $500 for a 2001. They have been going for under that way too often lately. As far as a new laptop/desktop goes, I have no idea. Those deals seem less frequent than the electronics & accessories deals, and less consistent in how good of a deal they are.

If you want to get both the computer and monitor from a retail store, I shudder to think how much it will run you.

Jeff W
04-30-2005, 02:29 PM
Okay, seems like everyone is recommending a used/refurbished computer. Should I go through e-bay, a vendor or some other source?

IggyWH
04-30-2005, 02:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Okay, seems like everyone is recommending a used/refurbished computer. Should I go through e-bay, a vendor or some other source?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ebay is a good place... but you got to know how to pick the right seller. So often do I hear stories about people who got ripped off by someone with little feedback. Here's some ebay do's before you consider bidding on an auction :

1)NEVER buy something from someone who has under 50 feedback

2)NEVER buy something from someone who has less than 98% positive feedback (100% is obviously the one you want to buy from but as a seller, you find out that there's always an [censored] that will give you a negative feedback for no reason at all)

3)ALWAYS look at the comments left from past feedback AND what the sold item was. Don't go sending $1000 for a computer to someone who has only sold $2 knick-knacks

4)ALWAYS contact the seller with ANY question you may have. If they're willing to answer your questions friendly and timely, it's usually a good sign of things to come

5)ALWAYS use PayPal to purchase the item because it gives some protection and you have 30 days to claim a refund.

I bought my Dell off ebay brand new for about $850 after shipping. At the time building it on the Dell website, it was about $1500 so there are good deals to be found. You might pay a little more when following my do's, but I'd rather pay a couple more bucks and be confident in my purchase than save a couple bucks and not know if I'm ever going to get my goods.

Cubswin
04-30-2005, 02:44 PM
dont get a dell desktop. find someone who knows something about computers and have them help you build one. you will save a lot of money and can get a much better comp. i just built my computer for about $850 and if i went dell it would be around $1500 and not even as good.

Take the dell challenge. I bought the following machine for my boss on friday.... i challenge you to find the componets to build it for less then what i paid for it. I will post what i paid for this machine after you quote me a price....

Dimension 8400 Desktop: Pentium 4 Processor 540 with HT Technology (3.20GHz, 800 FSB, 1MB)
Microsoft Windows XP Professional
1 GB DDR2 SDRAM 533MHz (2 DIMMs)
No Floppy Drive
250 GB EIDE SATA Hard Drive (7200 RPM)
128MB PCI Express ATI Radeon X300 SE
56Kbps Data/Fax Modem
Sound Blaster Live! 24-bit ADVANCED HD Audio with 100dB Perform
16X DVD ROM Drive
Operating System Software CD
WordPerfect Productivity Suite 12.0

Oh... and the computer has 8 USB ports, 3 free PCIs, PCIe...

Let the challenge begin.....

Cubswin
04-30-2005, 02:57 PM
PS...lets see if u can beat my price without even pricing out the motherboard and case....

Deathbear
04-30-2005, 02:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Take the dell challenge. I bought the following machine for my boss on friday.... i challenge you to find the componets to build it for less then what i paid for it. I will post what i paid for this machine after you quote me a price....

Dimension 8400 Desktop: Pentium 4 Processor 540 with HT Technology (3.20GHz, 800 FSB, 1MB)
Microsoft Windows XP Professional
1 GB DDR2 SDRAM 533MHz (2 DIMMs)
No Floppy Drive
250 GB EIDE SATA Hard Drive (7200 RPM)
128MB PCI Express ATI Radeon X300 SE
56Kbps Data/Fax Modem
Sound Blaster Live! 24-bit ADVANCED HD Audio with 100dB Perform
16X DVD ROM Drive
Operating System Software CD
WordPerfect Productivity Suite 12.0

Oh... and the computer has 8 USB ports, 3 free PCIs, PCIe...

Let the challenge begin.....

[/ QUOTE ]

Why are you waiting for others before you post yours?

Cubswin
04-30-2005, 03:01 PM
ok ok....price i paid below....

<font color="white">493.94 tax and shipping included </font>

Jeff W
04-30-2005, 03:04 PM
WTF, how is that possible? I am looking through Dell.com and the 8400 starts at $880.

Cubswin
04-30-2005, 03:09 PM
I got mad skills my friend.

Its all about dell refurbs and waiting to purchase at the right time. They ran a huge sale last weekend and again on friday. All desktops were reduced in price and then there was 15% additional off then free shipping to boot. Some fat walleters were spending over 50 grand and were just going to fleabay their loot.

Unfortunately, today marks the end of dells quarter so i dont think there will be really good deals for sometime. Though, if you keep searching fatwallet you might be able to snag a deal if there are stackable coupons that overlap.

cubs

Jeff W
04-30-2005, 03:12 PM
I suck at deal chasing. I had no idea there was a big sale yesterday.

Cubswin
04-30-2005, 03:12 PM
and.... i only paid 368.28 for my 2nd 2001FP /images/graemlins/tongue.gif i feel like i got hosed on the first one i bought in feb because i paid $486.... oh well.... my whole set-up cost a little over $1400 and will be plenty fast for some time to come....

cubs

Cubswin
04-30-2005, 03:15 PM
honestly... if you have disposable income fatwallet can be a lot of fun. so many deals on so many different things... plus you have a fatcash account which is kind-of like rackback... basically you split affiliate revenue with fatwallet for purchases made if you link from their site. time and again i sound like a shill for fatwallet but thats just because im one happy customer whos saved a ton of $$$....

cubs

Jeff W
04-30-2005, 03:24 PM
I'm sure it is cool, but I don't any much money outside of beer, food and the bare necessities. If I could get a desktop &amp; 2 2001FPs at a decent price, I would be set for at least a year. Right now my laptop smells like ozone whenever I 4-table with PV.

Unfortunately, God hates me and I will have to pay full price for everything.

IggyWH
04-30-2005, 03:24 PM
http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/features.aspx/outrageous_desktops?c=us&amp;cs=04&amp;l=en&amp;s=bsd

Not a bad deal on the 8400...

and if you want a 2001FP, it's only $300 to add it or you can just take the free 19" E193FP.