PDA

View Full Version : AQ in the SB 1 spot from the final table......

tiger7210
04-30-2005, 02:46 AM
Please someone assure me this is just plain bad luck and not a bad play here.

859 runners Stars $10 MTT

down to 10 players 5 handed table

blinds 6000/12000 a 600

hero 124K after posting SB 3rd in chips
villain 220K 2nd in chips

folds to hero who has AQo

Villain has not been out of line and played relatively tight

I open push to pick up the blinds

Vilain insta calls with TT's

Is this the best line here as I can't raise and consider folding to a reraise with AQ 5 handed

My only concern was he was the only guy at the table that could bust me.

Is pushing here correct?

Matt R.
04-30-2005, 03:02 AM
I generally like the push. I think an obvious exception could be made when there's a large jump in prize money from 10th to 9th (not sure how the structure on Stars is). AQo is clearly a really strong hand with 1 person yet to act, and ~20K+ is a really nice addition to your stack. And you're right about not being able to fold to a re-raise with the blinds at 6K/12K and your stack size. Looks like just a bad situation and bad luck to me. I'm an inexperienced MTT'er though so I'd like to hear what other people think.

invisibleleadsoup
04-30-2005, 03:30 AM
not a bad move i dont think,unlucky he's the one guy can bust you though...
i like that kind of push a lot though,with AJ-AK,because a lot of the time you'll get called with a worse ace

Pepsquad
04-30-2005, 03:46 AM
This might be one of the very few times I think it's okay to just complete and see a flop with the blinds as huge as they are.

But ultimately, your push was correct and in this situation I think the chips were going in no matter how the scenario had played itself out. The other poster is absolutely correct. There are all kinds of weaker aces that will call your push. Take into account villain will call with any PP to which you are only in really bad shape against QQ+ and you made the right decision. Sorry it didn't work out.

JaBlue
04-30-2005, 05:01 AM
I push here too, especially since I will be pushing here with hands a lot worse than AQ against most opponents.

You got unlucky. Oh well /images/graemlins/frown.gif.

betgo
04-30-2005, 09:21 AM
You have to push. I would open push in any position with AQ and 10xBB 5-handed. I would probably call a push, push at limpers, or reraise allin with AQ also.

I wouldn't need AQ to push from the SB: any ace, pair, high cards, most suited connectors and gappers, or suited cards with one face card will do. In fact UTG 5-handed with 10xBB, I push with any pair, AT, A7s, T9s, face cards, and some other hands. You have an ante on Poker Stars and you have to fight for it.

In an SNG or supersatellite, you can play real cautious. (Although with 10xBB in the SB and AQ you would frequently need to push there also.) In a tournament, you have to make favorable gambles, even if you risk busting out. If you play that way, you will win some tournaments.

If you had won this hand, I don't think you would be posting this wondering if you did anything wrong. This is really a bad beat post, although it is not meant as one.

tiger7210
04-30-2005, 12:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you had won this hand, I don't think you would be posting this wondering if you did anything wrong. This is really a bad beat post, although it is not meant as one.

[/ QUOTE ]

It really wasn't meant as a bad beat post. I played this tournament on a friends account to help him get into the top 100 TLB for the month.

He questioned my open pushing 1 spot from the final table against the only player that could bust me. I was pretty sure I made the right move and I guess I just wanted reassurance which is what everyone's response has given me.

Thanks to all who replied.

transmitt
04-30-2005, 12:50 PM
this close I think I raise 4x BB or so and fold down to the re-raise, plus he may just flat call and you get to see a flop w/ the overcards.