PDA

View Full Version : Push or not

Poker Junkie
04-30-2005, 12:26 AM
Playing in a MTT (very low buy-in with re-buys) down to 46 left top 30 pay but only any money at final table. Blinds are 1K/2K. Folded to me on the button and I have Q /images/graemlins/diamond.gifJ /images/graemlins/club.gif. I raise it to 6K folded to BB who moves in for T13,673.50 I have T8,388.26 left. Fold or push? I'm not interested in making it to 30th (money)and am trying to work on being aggressive and would appreciate any thoughts on this. Results to follow

Thanks,
Walt

Hal 2000
04-30-2005, 01:15 AM
If my math is correct, you started with ~7xBB. Folded to you on the button, that should be push or fold. Given the push, I think you have to call for the odds.

invisibleleadsoup
04-30-2005, 01:34 AM
no question,you have to call
its basically a minraise,so have to call 6k more (give or take) to win the 18k already in the pot
he would have to be 75% favourite for you to fold,and thats fairly unlikely
especially in a low buyin tournament,he could have anything

Poker Junkie
04-30-2005, 01:46 AM
smartmoves,

Thanks for the reply. I thought the same thing, table was fairly tight and we had about the same amount of chips. It was a steal/semi-bluff attempt. When he pushes I'm getting 2.7 to 1 to call (roughly) and my hand is 58% against random 2.

Walt

Poker Junkie
04-30-2005, 01:49 AM
Soup,

Do you think I should have raised this or just called it? My thoughts were that the blinds were very big compared to my stack and wasn't sure if I would see another hand worth moving with. Thoughts?

Walt

invisibleleadsoup
04-30-2005, 03:02 AM
realistically you've 7 BBs so you're going to have to make a move soon,and when its folded to you in the button with QJ thats about the best you're likely to get,so i'm probably making a move
the only reason i might just call is if you think the SB or BB are bad enough to pay you off if you hit a Q or J,but even then you're giving them a chance to hit two pair or some raspy straight draw or whatever so you probably have to bet this,plus you're well short stacked

the main thing to realise though is that by making the raise you're pot committed-folding isnt an option
and btw,even if he has AQ or AJ,which is pretty much what you fear (other than AA-JJ) you're 27% to win (twodimes.net) so your odds are ok

KdoubleK
04-30-2005, 06:20 AM
At this stage of the game playing QJo from the button is really just a push or fold situation. Raising 3x the BB just puts you in a tough spot, since you've nearly pot commited yourself with the raise but are badly beaten by AA, KK, QQ, JJ, AQ, AJ, KQ, and even KJ, and are probably just a coinflip against anything else BB moves in with. Pushing would probably cause BB to fold most marginal hands he would otherwise push with himself. If you do decide to make a standard raise here, it should be with the intention of folding to the all-in unless your plan all along was to play a big pot. Personally with the chips you had I would've just folded the button and waited for a better spot to push.

Poker Junkie
04-30-2005, 11:34 PM
DoubleK,

Hindsight being 20/20 you may be right about pushing from the start. The table was tight and the BB was about the same in chips as me, and we were geting close to the bubble so I thought he would lay down any marginal hands.

In case anyone doesn't allready know the outcome here are the results.

I call the All-in and villian flips A,8o to my Q,Jo

Flop: Q,K,3

Turn: 8

River: A (ofcourse) /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thanks for all the responses to my query this forum and the members are always helpful to noobs like me.

Walt