PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Movie

Ianco15
04-29-2005, 11:21 PM
I feel like there are a lot of good movies that I haven't seen. List your favorite movie so I can go watch it.

Eihli
04-29-2005, 11:24 PM
Fulltime Killer

I won't give you a synopsis or review or anything because it would be impossible to do the movie justice with one. You need to watch this movie.

pshreck
04-29-2005, 11:25 PM
13 going on 30

Jack of Arcades
Igby Goes Down

jakethebake
Ernest Goes To Camp

Duke
04-29-2005, 11:27 PM
Amadeus.

This isn't actually my favorite, since I have many that I favor equally, but it's a good one that may not be mentioned.

~D

Eihli
04-29-2005, 11:27 PM
"to sharpen a knife, you just drag the knife gently along the wet stone, keeping it almost parralell, and follow through untill you feel the knife cutting... skin.... look! a rabbit! uggghhhhh"

Blarg
04-29-2005, 11:29 PM
Try Shadow of a Doubt.

swede123
04-29-2005, 11:32 PM
The Jerk is a classic.

Swede

Eihli
04-29-2005, 11:33 PM
is that the "I was born a poor black child." movie?

Los Feliz Slim
04-29-2005, 11:39 PM
A couple of years ago I got into a see-the-best-movies-I've-never-seen cycle. The movie that made the biggest was "Midnight Cowboy" with Dustin Hoffman and John Voigt.

gorie
04-29-2005, 11:41 PM
all the real girls.

i am in love with this movie. however the title & movie description kinda makes it impossible to get a guy to watch it and appreciate it. but that's ok cuz i prefer to watch it alone.

Jeff W
04-29-2005, 11:42 PM
If you're not afraid of subtitles (Italian) or B&W:

The Bicycle Thief

wacki
04-29-2005, 11:44 PM
Dawn of the Dead -remake 2004
Underworld

Those are my favorites at the moment. But they change periodically.

Blarg
04-29-2005, 11:52 PM
Got that one right now from Netflix.

Vince Young
12 Angry Men
American History X

shant
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Not a big horror or zombie movie fan but this movie is the shiz.

Blarg
04-29-2005, 11:56 PM
I'm not a big zombie fan either, but I really liked this one too. Watched it two or three times. Good fun.

Rob Zombie is coming out with a zombie movie, and there's one Australian zombie movie coming out too. I saw really quick previews on MTV.com the other day. I hope those are good. Even though I'm not really a zombie fan at all. I just think zombie movies have a lot of potential to be good if they're done right, and there's probably still a ton of stuff to do with them that's creepy that hasn't been done yet. Spending a big part of it on repetitive gut-munching doesn't move me much, though.

Rhone
04-30-2005, 12:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
A couple of years ago I got into a see-the-best-movies-I've-never-seen cycle. The movie that made the biggest was "Midnight Cowboy" with Dustin Hoffman and John Voigt.

[/ QUOTE ]

Same with me. I thought this was a really moving film. My wife's reaction: "Why didn't he just get a damn job?!"

Blarg
04-30-2005, 12:13 AM
Because he thought life was something different from what it really was. He needed to, because of who he was and what his life and prospects really were.

He probably did, eventually, get a job, just like all the actresses waiting tables in Hollywood, many of whom have a lot in common with him. As do almost all of us, in some way, at least when we're young.

Hell of a good movie.

deacsoft
04-30-2005, 12:52 AM
Pulp Fiction. My daughter is named after Uma Thurman's character, Mia.

Ianco15
04-30-2005, 01:15 AM
Thanks to everyone for suggesting movies. I plan on watching all the ones I haven't seen. First on the list is Pulp Fiction because I have heard from a ton of people that it is a great movie.

sourbeaver
04-30-2005, 01:24 AM
THE source.

http://imdb.com/chart/top

Blarg
04-30-2005, 01:26 AM
Get the collectors edition or whatever. The DVD extras are great, including a really good Ebert & Roeper special just on Tarantino alone, which is something they never really did normally. Plus lots of other great supporting material.

ZeeJustin
04-30-2005, 01:45 AM
American History X, Braveheart, American Beauty, Fight Club, Good Will Hunting, 12 Monkeys, Forest Gump, Shawshank Redemption, Requiem for a Dream, Pulp Fiction, Donnie Darko, Back to the Future, Lost in Translation, The Usual Suspects, Spring Summer Fall Winter... and Spring, Office Space, Superman, Ghost Busters, The Terminator

That list is in order, although it's a bit old. The Breakfast Club should be on there, somewhere towards the end/middle.

-Skeme-
04-30-2005, 01:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Shoulda named her The Wolf.

[ QUOTE ]
Fulltime Killer

I won't give you a synopsis or review or anything because it would be impossible to do the movie justice with one. You need to watch this movie.

[/ QUOTE ]

I Netflixed it last week. I didn't find it particularly good. Get The Sting, now that's a movie.

deacsoft
04-30-2005, 01:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Shoulda named her The Wolf.

[/ QUOTE ]

Her mother never would have allowed it. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

gvibes
04-30-2005, 01:55 AM
Grave of the Fireflies. You'll want to kill yourself.

-Skeme-
04-30-2005, 01:56 AM
Netflixed that aswell. It's in the DVD now, gonna watch tomorrow. Will let you know if I cry.

deacsoft
04-30-2005, 01:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Tell me more.

The Dude
04-30-2005, 02:16 AM
I am ashamed of my fellow OOTers.

whiskeytown
04-30-2005, 02:41 AM
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon

Blarg
04-30-2005, 02:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I almost said that one too, but decided not to for the very reason you cite.

It's as good as any movie I've seen, though. Man, it's hard to watch a second time, though. It took balls like boulders to write that thing.

Blarg
04-30-2005, 03:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Tell me more.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's about two kids who become war orphans amid the firebombing in WWII Japan, a boy of about umm...13 or so and his little sister, who's like 4 or 5. He has to find some way to provide for both of them, and they wind up living out in the open, trying to find food somehow. You can probably guess the ending without anyone saying it, but anyway it's really heartbreaking. It's also autobiographical, making it even more heart-rending. Think: soul-destroying lifelong guilt.

The DVD extras are extremely good on this one, too, with historians talking about the real fire-bombing of Japan, a really good, insightful segment with Roger Ebert talking about the movie's techniques and the realization of its themes and moods, "making of" stuff and interviews with the director, and info about the writer of the original book, etc. Be sure to get the DVD extras disk if you rent.

Jeff W
04-30-2005, 03:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
THE source.

[/ QUOTE ]

THE source for the most overrated movies?

3. 8.8 The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (2003)
11. 8.6 The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (2001)
14. 8.6 The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (2002)

That's just for starters.

theBruiser500
04-30-2005, 03:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

wow that's awesome.

a sleeper foreign film whjich is compelteyl sweet. My Life As A Dog

Blarg
04-30-2005, 03:40 AM
Insanely good.

Jeff W
04-30-2005, 03:45 AM
I am deprived. I have never heard of Netflix before. I went to the website and it is love at first site.

Phoenix1010
04-30-2005, 03:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've saifd it before. This is one of the greatest movies ever made. Anyone hwo hasn't seen it should rent it immediately. Someone else said you can olny watch it once. its so true. I canb;t bring myselfg to watch it again, evcen though I want to. It's so good though.

wacki
04-30-2005, 03:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If your going to point your nose up so high, you might as well tell us what it right and what is wrong. You know, that thing called contributing?

Phoenix1010
04-30-2005, 03:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Not a big horror or zombie movie fan but this movie is the shiz.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. I really didn't like this movie at all. Watct the original instead, or the Night of the Living Dead flix instead. Original George Romero is aso much better than the wannabe crap.

Jeff W
04-30-2005, 03:52 AM
I'm sure he's offended by the omission of The Big Lebowski.

SGS
04-30-2005, 06:26 AM
To say you have a favorite movie is kind of ridiculous as there are so many movies that are so different from each other. Some of my favorite movies are Braveheart, Amarican History X, Fight Club, and The Big Lebowski.

SGS

juanez
04-30-2005, 07:12 AM
Spinal Tap.

Bulldog
04-30-2005, 07:13 AM
White Men Can't Jump

Blarg
04-30-2005, 07:22 AM
Excellent. I gotta go put that in my Netflix queue and see it again.

private joker
04-30-2005, 07:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Fulltime Killer

I won't give you a synopsis or review or anything because it would be impossible to do the movie justice with one.

[/ QUOTE ]

I will:

A Taiwanese woman running a Japanese video store in Hong Kong cleans the apartment of a Japanese hitman (who listens to country music and collects American comic strip figures) but then starts dating a Chinese assassin who quotes French and Mexican action films. Did I mention there were Swedish cars in Malaysia and Singapore, and that the Hong Kong police do voice-over narration in English?

The cultural casserole cooked up by writer/director Wai Ka Fai and his co-director Johnnie To is the basis for an extremely entertaining action film about the globalization of mass media and its effect on an audience who assimilates violence with sex with diversion. The Chin character (video store clerk and housekeeper) is the crux of this thesis, a girl without an identity who creates her own perfect man by drawing into her life the aspects of two professional killers. In a story about creating identity, it makes sense that the cop would become a novelist and the hitmen would become legends (who realize their self-destructive fantasy in a scenario based on a video game). But what’s also super-cool about the flick is that the dense plot plays its cards close to its chest -- although exclusively self-reflexive and hardly emotionally engaging, the story does reveal information bit by bit at perfect times, structured in a dischronology that accentuates the hedonistic themes of the script.

Fulltime Killer makes the most of To’s skills with character and acting (as usual, he gets a great performance from Andy Lau as the cocky, rabid Tok) and displays a knack for casual conversation that flows naturally into brutal violence much like To’s 1999 film The Mission. Wai’s contributions to the film’s direction are evident in the angular slo-motion of the bravura action set-pieces (a train station shoot-out and an exterior ambush against cops are two notable occasions, not to mention the Beethoven’s 9th-drenched climax in a fireworks warehouse), some of which equal the dazzling craft Wai demonstrated in his masterpiece to date, the Chow Yun-fat western Peace Hotel. Occasionally clumsy and not especially cohesive (did we really need the Olympics, the older brother, or the puking and foaming at the mouth?), Fulltime Killer can chalk up its heterogeneousness to the incongruity of the cultures it explores: when you’re pasting together a quilt of continents into a film that celebrates the diversity of the art form, you’re bound to let a couple disparate tones butt heads. That’s a flaw I’m willing to accept at the stylish and manic hands of Johnnie To and Wai Ka Fai.

RagleGumm
04-30-2005, 08:12 AM
Lock, Stock & Two Smoking Barrels

My favourite movie of all time.

"If you hold back anything, I'll kill ya. If you bend the truth or I think your bending the truth, I'll kill ya. If you forget anything I'll kill ya. In fact, you're gonna have to work very hard to stay alive, Nick. Now do you understand everything I've said? Because if you don't, I'll kill ya. "

"Also, I think knives are a good idea. Big, [censored]-off shiny ones. Ones that look like they could skin a crocodile. Knives are good, because they don't make any noise, and the less noise they make, the more likely we are to use them. [censored] 'em right up. Makes it look like we're serious. Guns for show, knives for a pro. "

Dominic
04-30-2005, 09:24 AM
Blade Runner
Local Hero

tbach24
04-30-2005, 09:54 AM
Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back
Super Troopers
Gladiator
Motorcycle Diaries
Butterfly

Not my top 5, but one's I'd recommend

ArchAngel71857
04-30-2005, 10:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Fulltime Killer

I won't give you a synopsis or review or anything because it would be impossible to do the movie justice with one.

[/ QUOTE ]

I will:

A Taiwanese woman running a Japanese video store in Hong Kong cleans the apartment of a Japanese hitman (who listens to country music and collects American comic strip figures) but then starts dating a Chinese assassin who quotes French and Mexican action films. Did I mention there were Swedish cars in Malaysia and Singapore, and that the Hong Kong police do voice-over narration in English?

The cultural casserole cooked up by writer/director Wai Ka Fai and his co-director Johnnie To is the basis for an extremely entertaining action film about the globalization of mass media and its effect on an audience who assimilates violence with sex with diversion. The Chin character (video store clerk and housekeeper) is the crux of this thesis, a girl without an identity who creates her own perfect man by drawing into her life the aspects of two professional killers. In a story about creating identity, it makes sense that the cop would become a novelist and the hitmen would become legends (who realize their self-destructive fantasy in a scenario based on a video game). But what’s also super-cool about the flick is that the dense plot plays its cards close to its chest -- although exclusively self-reflexive and hardly emotionally engaging, the story does reveal information bit by bit at perfect times, structured in a dischronology that accentuates the hedonistic themes of the script.

Fulltime Killer makes the most of To’s skills with character and acting (as usual, he gets a great performance from Andy Lau as the cocky, rabid Tok) and displays a knack for casual conversation that flows naturally into brutal violence much like To’s 1999 film The Mission. Wai’s contributions to the film’s direction are evident in the angular slo-motion of the bravura action set-pieces (a train station shoot-out and an exterior ambush against cops are two notable occasions, not to mention the Beethoven’s 9th-drenched climax in a fireworks warehouse), some of which equal the dazzling craft Wai demonstrated in his masterpiece to date, the Chow Yun-fat western Peace Hotel. Occasionally clumsy and not especially cohesive (did we really need the Olympics, the older brother, or the puking and foaming at the mouth?), Fulltime Killer can chalk up its heterogeneousness to the incongruity of the cultures it explores: when you’re pasting together a quilt of continents into a film that celebrates the diversity of the art form, you’re bound to let a couple disparate tones butt heads. That’s a flaw I’m willing to accept at the stylish and manic hands of Johnnie To and Wai Ka Fai.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, I just thought it sucked when I saw it.

-AA

gorie
04-30-2005, 11:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
If your going to point your nose up so high, you might as well tell us what it right and what is wrong. You know, that thing called contributing?

[/ QUOTE ]
judging by his avatar and his name maybe he's waiting for "The Big Lebowski" to be mentioned /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

edit: oops i guess two people already mentioned this before me, yeah i should probably finish reading the thread before posting.

Turkish
04-30-2005, 11:52 AM
Eternal Sunshine of the spotless mind.. I'm surprised nobody else liked this?

TripleH68
04-30-2005, 11:55 AM
Love and Death

-Woody Allen

marsvolta619
04-30-2005, 12:32 PM
Orgazmo
Army Of Darkness
Clerks
Super Troopers
Saving Silverman
Zoolander

Duke
04-30-2005, 12:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
THE source.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What's the fee to cross over your bridge?

~D

JMP300z
04-30-2005, 12:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Orgazmo
Army Of Darkness
Clerks
Super Troopers
Saving Silverman
Zoolander

[/ QUOTE ]

Not only do we share musical taste but movies too.
Others:
Swingers, 21 grams, Pulp Fiction, kill bill, Requiem for a dream, Cant Hardly Wait.

marsvolta619
04-30-2005, 12:53 PM
Will you wear my promise ring JMP?

Duke
04-30-2005, 12:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
21 grams

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't like a lot of this movie, but I'll agree it was very good. The way the director handled it all was brilliant, despite there being some issues I had with it.

~D

tbach24
04-30-2005, 12:55 PM
Blow is good too.

tbach24
04-30-2005, 01:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Zoolander

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the funniest movie ever. It's on TBS right now. I'm laughing soo much.

"I'm not an ambi-turner, it's a problem I've had since I was a baby"

trying2learn
04-30-2005, 01:50 PM
listen to your friend billy zane...he's a cool dood.

orange mocha frappachinos!!!

they're IN the computer? of course, it's so simple!

trying2learn
04-30-2005, 01:50 PM
mer-MAN pop...mer-MAN!

tbach24
04-30-2005, 01:52 PM
the "earth to matilda" scene is one of the funniest things ever

sourbeaver
04-30-2005, 02:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
THE source.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not a spoon feeder. You have to weed out the crap. Jeez /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

deacsoft
04-30-2005, 02:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Tell me more.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's about two kids who become war orphans amid the firebombing in WWII Japan, a boy of about umm...13 or so and his little sister, who's like 4 or 5. He has to find some way to provide for both of them, and they wind up living out in the open, trying to find food somehow. You can probably guess the ending without anyone saying it, but anyway it's really heartbreaking. It's also autobiographical, making it even more heart-rending. Think: soul-destroying lifelong guilt.

The DVD extras are extremely good on this one, too, with historians talking about the real fire-bombing of Japan, a really good, insightful segment with Roger Ebert talking about the movie's techniques and the realization of its themes and moods, "making of" stuff and interviews with the director, and info about the writer of the original book, etc. Be sure to get the DVD extras disk if you rent.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks I'll check it out. How old is it?

Jeff W
04-30-2005, 02:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What's the fee to cross over your bridge?

[/ QUOTE ]

I swear I'm not trolling. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Ranking the LotR trilogy in the top fifteen movies of all time is absurd. Even the biggest fans of the series should admit that. There are numerous faulty choices throughout the top 150 list starting with #1.

Soul Daddy
04-30-2005, 02:40 PM
L.A. Confidential
Quiz Show
Pootie Tang

marsvolta619
04-30-2005, 04:21 PM
2 favorite scenes...

"Don't you know a foamy latte makes me farty and bloated?!" and then they exchange the looks, and then mugatu frolics over to the model of the zoolander center for kids who cant read good. Leading into....

The brainwashing sequence. "Haaaappy... happy. Haaappy... happy."

Blarg
04-30-2005, 04:47 PM
It's from 1988.

Blarg
04-30-2005, 04:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Love and Death

-Woody Allen

[/ QUOTE ]

My favorite Woody Allen movie. From back in the period when he was still funny. Non-stop gags. I was howling all the way through it.

tdarko
04-30-2005, 05:30 PM
legends of the fall
scent of a woman
lost in translation
donnie darko
the truman show
one flew over the cuckoo's nest
to kill a mockingbird
bull durham

Ianco15
04-30-2005, 07:27 PM
I just got back from Best Buy. I purchased the following movies:

Requiem for a Dream
The Usual Suspects
Donnie Darko
Reservior Dogs
Pulp Fiction
The Big Lebowski

I plan to watch everything that was suggested here, though. Especially "Grave of the Fire Flies." That one sounds to crzay for me to miss. I'll have to order some of them online because I couldn't find them at Best Buy.

gorie
04-30-2005, 07:44 PM
you should just sign up for netflix if you like watching movies /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Blarg
04-30-2005, 08:45 PM
Yeah I agree. I am on their plan where you can get 5 out at a time, and I usually get in 20-ish or so movies a month that way.

There are some super special things I still buy, though, because I know I'll watch them so many times.

astroglide
04-30-2005, 11:21 PM
american history x is officially added to the overrated movies list

wacki
04-30-2005, 11:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
american history x is officially added to the overrated movies list

[/ QUOTE ]

BOOO!!!! That movie was well done and had a lot of meaning to it.