PDA

View Full Version : Pushing is becoming less gangsta

Sam T.
04-29-2005, 11:14 PM
A quick rant/question for the low buy-in crowd.

Granted I'm working from a limited sample, so I'm wondering if lately anyone else out there is having their bubble steals called more often than they'd like, or more often than ususal.

It's kind of an odd situation - the villains seem to be calling as if to prove that you're on a steal, regardless of their holdings. For example:

We're four handed, I'm the big stack and in the SB with T9o.

Folded to me, I push. BB calls with Q-freaking 2. Board full of blanks, and he doubles up. Then he types, "I knew you had XXXX."

I know, I know, I know. Tiny sample, it's +EV in the long run, yeah, yeah, yeah. But without folding equity, this game is a lot tougher...

End of rant,

Sam

Blarg
04-29-2005, 11:35 PM
Yup. I'm finding this too lately, and playing more cautiously because of it. I used to fold my way into the money, then I learned to fold other people out of the money, and now I'm having to learn how to actually play.

Degen
04-29-2005, 11:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
it's +EV in the long run

[/ QUOTE ]

FieryJustice
04-29-2005, 11:42 PM
Its happeneing in the higher buyins too...like the $215's. I pushed the other day with 72 and got called by T2...
Jcardshark

hummusx
04-30-2005, 01:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Its happeneing in the higher buyins too...like the $215's. I pushed the other day with 72 and got called by T2...
Jcardshark

[/ QUOTE ]

That's scary.

Scuba Chuck
04-30-2005, 01:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Jcardshark

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's scary.

[/ QUOTE ]

Stacksizes would make this statement more relevant.

Eevee
04-30-2005, 01:32 AM
Yeah, wtf is goin on? This was at a PP 55.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t300 (4 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

UTG (t5695)
Hero (t975)
SB (t2240)
BB (t1090)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to t1650</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: (t1950) 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Turn: (t1950) K/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

River: (t1950) K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: t1950

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
Hero has 2d 7h (two pair, kings and sevens).
SB has Th Jd (one pair, kings).
Outcome: Hero wins t1350. SB wins t600. </font>

?EV

Scuba Chuck
04-30-2005, 01:37 AM
Yeah, I'm always surprised by the TJ call. I think it says in some book somewhere that TJ sooted runs well hot and cold. Too bad the fish don't realize that terminology is used for pushing, not calling.

Does anybody know what party poker.net is teaching these fish? Just a side note/question.

ilya
04-30-2005, 01:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I'm always surprised by the TJ call. I think it says in some book somewhere that TJ sooted runs well hot and cold. Too bad the fish don't realize that terminology is used for pushing, not calling.

[/ QUOTE ]

What do you mean? Whether or not it runs good hot and cold doesn't have anything to do with whether you're pushing &amp; getting called or calling a push yourself. If you had to call the push in that spot, would you rather do it with JT or A4o?

Nottom
04-30-2005, 01:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
it's +EV in the long run

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

not if you know they will call with Q2.

Scuba Chuck
04-30-2005, 01:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
What do you mean? Whether or not it runs good hot and cold doesn't have anything to do with whether you're pushing &amp; getting called or calling a push yourself. If you had to call the push in that spot, would you rather do it with JT or A4o?

[/ QUOTE ]

Against any pair, any two broadway, any ace
JTs has 41% card equity
A4o has 42% card equity.

They both suck. What's your point? Villain doesn't need to call, he wants to. What's more interesting is that Eastbays tool shows that if hero's calling range is loose, calling with TJs is very marginally positive.

ilya
04-30-2005, 01:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

JTs has 41% card equity
A4o has 42% card equity.

They both suck. What's your point? Villain doesn't need to call, he wants to. What's more interesting is that Eastbays tool shows that if hero's calling range is loose, calling with TJs is very marginally positive.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was just surprised that you were surprised by JTs calls, since people routinely will call with hands like Axo which are no better hot and cold.

Eevee
04-30-2005, 01:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What do you mean? Whether or not it runs good hot and cold doesn't have anything to do with whether you're pushing &amp; getting called or calling a push yourself. If you had to call do it with JT or A4o?

[/ QUOTE ]

JTs has 41% card equity
A4o has 42% card equity.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you mean hero's pushing range?

Scuba Chuck
04-30-2005, 01:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I was just surprised that you were surprised by JTs calls, since people routinely will call with hands like Axo which are no better hot and cold.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm probably more suprised when it's called by AK and I'm out of the tourney after waiting patiently for a good solid hand. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif