PDA

View Full Version : Mathematically speaking..

prepotency
04-29-2005, 09:38 PM
.. what is the lowest odds you are willing to take with any two cards irregardless of chip stacks/blinds etc.

example: you're in SB with 24o and you are getting 9:1 to complete

I'm trying to figure out what the math is (in terms of BB) for a pre-flop call (assuming that there will be no raises behind you also) or even if there is the possibility of a mini-raise

thoughts?

pokerlaw
04-29-2005, 09:57 PM
Great question. I often think of this when say, it is 20/40 blinds, I am in SB w 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif, and 6 limpers are in the pot (so i am getting 15:1). Assuming I have t1500, is this a call?

I certainly be folding unless 9 9 x; 3 3 x; 9 3 x; or 3 hearts - but even all of those dont guarantee i have the best hand (999 or 333 is prob the only certainty, though flopping a boat is nice also). While 93 is a fold i feel, when is the cutoff point reached mathmatically??

adanthar
04-29-2005, 10:01 PM
Yes, this is a call. Also, if you autofold a flush draw no matter what odds you get on the flop, it's a mistake.

After around 10:1, plus implied odds, almost anything playable that costs you under 5% of your stack should be an autocall, IMO. (I'd still fold 93o with six limpers...but I wouldn't be happy about it. I might call 32o if I felt lucky. I'd definitely call 54o.)