PDA

View Full Version : RollingStone poker article

lighterjobs
04-29-2005, 07:57 PM
The New Superstars of Poker (http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/_/id/7280830?pageid=rs.NewsArchive&pageregion=mainRegio n&rnd=1114714559970&has-player=true&version=6.0.12.1040)

pretty interesting article. mostly talks about daniel n. and phil ivey.

Kashie
04-29-2005, 08:02 PM
Thanks good article

FishBurger
04-29-2005, 08:42 PM
"It's the correct strategy," [Negraneu] says. "In the old days, there was this myth that you have to play tight and only play certain hands. Poker has evolved. The mathematics behind what everybody thought was correct--the 'book play'--is absolutely not correct anymore . It's way too conservative. The way the game was played in 1980, if somebody raised and then there was a reraise, that meant a premium hand. [b][David] Sklansky even wrote that you should lay down pocket Jacks in that situation. Well, the way the game is played now, the first raise could be 10-8 suited and the next raise Ace-8."

In one notorious example, Negreanu posted a blistering takedown of Annie Duke, commenting on everything from her table behavior to her personal hygiene. The diatribe stemmed from Negreanu's close friendship with Jennifer Harman, who he believed was the best female player in the world, despite persistent media reports awarding that title to Duke. In his post, Negreanu didn't name Duke, but the target was clear to everyone in the poker community. Howard Lederer, Duke's older brother, posted a lengthy response defending his sister. He closed by writing: "I will, from now on, ignore your entire existence, unless, of course, I am trying to bust you at the poker table. You have crossed the line, and I don't really care if you ever come back."

The exchange was a rare public rift between top players. Worse, at least for Negreanu, was that Lederer staked out the high ground (for the most part, anyway; he did accuse Negreanu of getting drunk and snatching the toupee off a player's head).

"The thing about Daniel is that he made mistakes when he was younger, but he grew up before our eyes," says tournament veteran Adam Schoenfeld. "Unlike someone like Phil Hellmuth, who simply never grew up."

Not intimidated, Ivey repeatedly came over the top of Hellmuth and made him lay down big hands.

"Every time I bet, you raise," Hellmuth complained to Ivey at one point.

Seeing that Ivey planned to stay characteristically silent, Slim interjected. "Why shouldn't he? You keep folding."

"The guy who is going to pass me up is Phil Ivey," says Barry Greenstein, who claims to have won more money playing poker than anyone in history. "He is hungrier than any of us. He has the most stamina and he has the killer instinct. Phil doesn't even play the games well right now. That's what's scary about him. He is a great gambler and he is just getting better. Right now, technically, he doesn't have it all down, but just on gambling smarts, he is able to stay even or win at most of these games. He just gets better and better all the time. By next year at the World Series, you're going to have a monster on your hands."

Lindgren is convinced that he and his good friends Negreanu and Ivey will be dominant for years to come. "We all love poker so much," he says. "There's no way we're quitting, so someone is going to have to come along and knock us off our pedestal."

Of course, poker history is littered with wunderkinds who captured a couple of tournaments or ran lucky for a year or two before fading into oblivion. As Doyle Brunson says, when asked to evaluate the latest crop of young studs, "Come ask me in 20 years and I'll let you know."

lighterjobs
04-29-2005, 09:59 PM
I thought this was the best:

[ QUOTE ]
Ivey, whose only regular job was a brief stint selling tickets to the policeman's ball over the phone

[/ QUOTE ]

or the fact that they said daniel n. resembles worm from rounders.

Russ McGinley
04-29-2005, 10:02 PM
When I was a kid, I answered the phone and had someone sell me tickets to the policeman's ball. I said yes because I thought if I said no, they'd send the cops to my house. Damn you, Phil Ivey!

Dantes
04-30-2005, 05:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I thought this was the best:

[ QUOTE ]
Ivey, whose only regular job was a brief stint selling tickets to the policeman's ball over the phone

[/ QUOTE ]

or the fact that they said daniel n. resembles worm from rounders.

[/ QUOTE ]

its somewhat hard to believe that an established national magazine with presumably a lot of experienced editors would get suckered in by that line from ivey, but there it is apparently.

Aceshigh7
04-30-2005, 12:08 PM
I just picked up that book, it is excellent.

feelixthegreek
04-30-2005, 12:40 PM
I had a job for a couple of months picking up the checks people would write for the tickets. Late night, envelopes taped to screen doors. Good stuff.