PDA

View Full Version : OT: Poker comes in handy @ work (no content, you've been warned, etc.)

private joker
04-29-2005, 07:39 PM
Poker content doesn't belong in OOT, so here it goes.

It's a boring Friday afternoon. I'm a casting director for a television company in Hollywood. My boss just called me into his office. Uh oh. But wait! He says, "I heard you play Texas Hold'em. I need poker 101. Have a seat."

So I proceed to teach him how to play so he's primed for a home game among industry hotshots (to give you an idea, his friend just married Dave Grohl, so his circle probably involves fairly popular and good-looking folks). At first I think it's going to be a deadly lesson, because he's asking what a straight is, and what a flush is. "So, a straight beats three of a kind? That seems kind of lame!"

But then he picks up on things very quickly. I get into starting hand requirements, and boil things down to the basics. "You want to play big cards, pairs, and cards of the same suit but-" and he finishes my sentence "it's better if the cards of the same suit are close together, right?" A natural! He understands suited connectors!

I tell him calling is usually the wrong option, and that when he thinks he has the best hand he should raise, and when he thinks he has a hand that's not very good he should fold -- and that he should be folding more often preflop than the other guys.

But just as he's understanding the betting structure and the "small blind" and "big blind" and what it means to check, he asks "what are some more terms I can learn so I don't look like a retard?" I bite my tongue, but tell him about full house, boat, etc. I think he'll do fine as long as his opponents are at the same level as he is but didn't get the lesson.

This was a good office meeting because earlier this week I totally fu[/i]cked up a casting interview and I was probably on his bad side. But now I'm the poker master of the office. Ha!

iluzion
04-29-2005, 10:03 PM
Get your money back for this lesson. Demand a raise or invite him to a home game.

JoshuaD
04-29-2005, 10:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Get your money back for this lesson. Demand a raise or invite him to a home game.

[/ QUOTE ]

What money did he lose that he needs to get back?

Harv72b
04-29-2005, 10:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Get your money back for this lesson. Demand a raise or an invite to that home game.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

Catt
04-29-2005, 10:19 PM
When he asks for "some terms he can learn so he doesn't look like a retard" you really missed an opportunity. Feed him a number of colorful names for starting hands. Just make it up on the fly.

Pocket 77 = hanging monkeys
J8 = fishing for snowmen
K9 = doggy patrol
66 = buddas.

Seriously -- you could have generated a lot of entertaining stories; your boss would very likely not be embarassed because most at the home game would love to learn the "lingo" of the true playas - your boss may in fact be the hit of the game; and depending on the characters involved in the home game, you could be laughing 3 years from now when Van Patten or whoever whispers "oh he's decided to play the suited 'fishing for snowmen' here - watch out" on some televised tourney.

Reasonably nh anyway.

rmarotti
04-30-2005, 04:29 AM
This was one of my favorite contentless posts ever.

I am drunk.

Michael Davis
04-30-2005, 05:10 AM
I have one of the prettiest faces you've ever seen. Can you get me a gig?

-Michael

Evan
04-30-2005, 05:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I have one of the prettiest faces you've ever seen.

[/ QUOTE ]
And some of the cutest sweaters to go with it.

ArturiusX
04-30-2005, 09:34 AM
You should star in Rounders 2, teaching the boss a few tricks /images/graemlins/cool.gif

scrub
04-30-2005, 09:58 AM
I hope you explained that your starting requirements were for limit hold em, since the overwhelming majority of WPT-inspired home games are no limit...

scrub

SippinSoma
04-30-2005, 11:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I hope you explained that your starting requirements were for limit hold em, since the overwhelming majority of WPT-inspired home games are no limit...

scrub

[/ QUOTE ]

Owned. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Nick C
04-30-2005, 12:42 PM
Fun post.

As an aside, I feel uncomfortable, sometimes, giving poker advice outside these forums to my non-poker-playing friends, because so often what that advice amounts to is telling them they need to be raising when they're quite likely not a favorite to win the hand.

For those who aren't thinking in terms of equity advantages and picking up outs, it is sort of counter-intuitive.

Fortunately, though, most of my non-poker-playing friends don't ask for advice much.

OtisTheMarsupial
04-30-2005, 12:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
When he asks for "some terms he can learn so he doesn't look like a retard" you really missed an opportunity.

[/ QUOTE ]

istewart
04-30-2005, 01:26 PM
You really needed to tell him to say "Do you see why?" everytime he put a chip in the pot.

brimstone1
04-30-2005, 01:38 PM
I'd 3-bet the flop and call the rive..
oh wai...

nice /images/graemlins/wink.gif

private joker
04-30-2005, 02:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Fun post.

As an aside, I feel uncomfortable, sometimes, giving poker advice outside these forums to my non-poker-playing friends, because so often what that advice amounts to is telling them they need to be raising when they're quite likely not a favorite to win the hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I wouldn't get that advanced with this guy. I'm not going to tell him to raise on a flush draw to get a free card. ("You can have a free card?!")

I didn't get into any strategy, just the absolute basics of starting hand selection & general theory. Explaining why AKs is a good hand. When it's correct to check (I didn't explain checkraising). The proper etiquette of not acting out of turn (which he got immediately -- "Oh, you mean like if you fold before it's your turn, the other guys know you're not a risk and they can bet more") and why people talk about position.

And Scrub -- yes, NL starting hands are different, but even if he plays NL, I think he's better off knowing KQs is stronger than J4o, and that 99 is preferable to Q2o. If you've seen these home games, it's just "oh what is it to me?" and they robotically call any amount preflop with any two cards; my boss will not do that now.

cold_cash
04-30-2005, 03:04 PM
Can I be in the next Terminator movie?

Michael Davis
04-30-2005, 06:26 PM
"And some of the cutest sweaters to go with it."

You didn't even see the best ones, Evan. I've got one that's baby blue and has a bunch of stripes running randomly down the left side and looks very unbalanced. I think it's Ted Baker. I'll wear it next time I see you and maybe you can spend the night.

Sorry for continuing to hijack. Not really.

-Michael