PDA

View Full Version : Value of position, information.

SomethingClever
04-29-2005, 04:12 PM
Perhaps this belongs in poker theory, but I thought this forum is better equipped to answer.

Let's say you're in a 6-max game on the button. UTG raises and you know he has AJ offsuit. Other than his starting hand, you don't know anything about his usual pre or postflop play.

It's folded to you. What hands will you 3-bet with, knowing he has AJo? Is the correct answer any two cards?

How about with 1 cold-caller... does it change your 3-betting range? 2 cold-callers?

Thoughts?

Girchuck
04-29-2005, 06:28 PM
Why would you want to 3-bet with any 2?
Your knowledge of his hand does not prevent him from flopping a strong hand. Cold call, see the flop with most not dominated holdings. 3-bet with better hands. If you know that he got AJ, playing AT is still not profitable.

sethypooh21
04-29-2005, 06:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Your knowledge of his hand does not prevent him from flopping a strong hand. Cold call, see the flop with most not dominated holdings. 3-bet with better hands. If you know that he got AJ, playing AT is still not profitable.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't completely agree. If his postflop play is unknown then AT is not profitable. If he is either weak-tight or a chronic-overplayer, AT could show a profit, I think.

If he is weak tight, 3-bet with any two.

This is very similar to Chirs Ferguson's "exposed black aces" NL problem from a few years ago, where the correct answer was to call with anytwo cards. If the Aces know that you saw his cards, he will basically end up having to fold just about anytime he does not flop an ace and you bet.

MrFeelNothin
04-29-2005, 06:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't completely agree. If his postflop play is unknown then AT is not profitable. If he is either weak-tight or a chronic-overplayer, AT could show a profit, I think.

If he is weak tight, 3-bet with any two.

This is very similar to Chirs Ferguson's "exposed black aces" NL problem from a few years ago, where the correct answer was to call with anytwo cards. If the Aces know that you saw his cards, he will basically end up having to fold just about anytime he does not flop an ace and you bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Except in this situation Mr AJ does not know that you know his hand. (im assuming this, b/c it makes it a lot more interesting.)

I would definitely 3bet with any two non-dominated cards if there are no cold-callers.

With cold-callers, I'm not sure how to quantify the value of our info. I'd have to think about it, but I can say definitively that the answer is somewhere in between normal play and cold-call with any 2! /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

sethypooh21
04-29-2005, 06:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Except in this situation Mr AJ does not know that you know his hand. (im assuming this, b/c it makes it a lot more interesting.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Him not knowing that you know makes it easier to exploit his weak-tightness. Instead of "Man, I missed, and he still likes his hand. I fold." you get "Man, he knows I missed, I think he's full of crap. I call".