PDA

View Full Version : irrational fears

daryn
04-29-2005, 12:19 PM
what gives?

people deathly afraid of spiders, needles, etc. what is the world coming to? what are your irrational fears and excuses?

kerssens
04-29-2005, 12:21 PM
Is fear of heights irrational? Its not as much a fear now as it was when I was younger but there are times when I get nervous.

gonores
04-29-2005, 12:21 PM
Fear: Claustrophobia

Excuse: Mommy issues

InchoateHand
04-29-2005, 12:22 PM
None. I have a lot of a rational fears--like heights. But thats what makes climbing, high places fun.

Also, I have a fear of dinosaurs. Not the ones in museums, real ones. If I saw a dinosaur, I'd be [censored] terrified. Not only could the thing possibly eat me, or at least step on me, it would shake my very foundations of understanding to the ground.

Shajen
I was thinking this same thing.

I don't have any irrational fears that I can think of.

Needles, snakes, spiders, heights, tight spaces, none of that bothers me.

It's very interesting psychology though.

daryn
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />
Is fear of heights irrational? Its not as much a fear now as it was when I was younger but there are times when I get nervous.

[/ QUOTE ]

it depends.. are you afraid when you are clearly in a safe situation, or are you hanging from a piece of dental floss from the outside of a skyscraper?

daryn
04-29-2005, 12:23 PM

[/ QUOTE ]

me neither that's why i thought to bring it up. i get afraid if i think i am in danger, that's it.

Lafortezza
04-29-2005, 12:24 PM
Waiting in a dentist room and sitting in the chair before he/she starts. It's not the actual drilling and poking around he does, it's just the waiting and thinking "This could really really hurt..."

It all stems from getting my front tooth knocked out when I was younger, got it capped after 5 injections and 4 hours in the chair.

No other fears really.

wacki
04-29-2005, 12:24 PM
Anything thats smaller than a dime and can do this. Caution, it's not a pretty spider bite. (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&amp;Board=exchange&amp;Number=1557931&amp;Fo rum=All_Forums&amp;Words=spider&amp;Searchpage=0&amp;Limit=25&amp; Main=1557931&amp;Search=true&amp;where=bodysub&amp;Name=7066&amp;d aterange=1&amp;newerval=1&amp;newertype=y&amp;olderval=&amp;oldert ype=&amp;bodyprev=#Post1557931)

peachy
04-29-2005, 12:25 PM
there is a reason they r called phonbias

daryn
Anything thats smaller than a dime and can do this. Caution, it's not pretty. (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&amp;Board=exchange&amp;Number=1557931&amp;Fo rum=All_Forums&amp;Words=spider&amp;Searchpage=0&amp;Limit=25&amp; Main=1557931&amp;Search=true&amp;where=bodysub&amp;Name=7066&amp;d aterange=1&amp;newerval=1&amp;newertype=y&amp;olderval=&amp;oldert ype=&amp;bodyprev=#Post1557931)

[/ QUOTE ]

i have seen that before. that's not what i'm talking about when i say "afraid of spiders"

although it would be irrational if you refused to ever put on shoes again, just because of the very very slight chance one could be in there.

chaas4747
I don't understand, if I have a story/excuse then wouldn't they be rational fears.

I am afraid of spiders, and even more so after that [censored] thread the other day. No reason, they just freak me out.

InchoateHand
04-29-2005, 12:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that because they hatefully and viciously discriminate against phones?

tbach24
04-29-2005, 12:27 PM
spiders really bother me. i'm not sure why, maybe because they're so bizarre looking. i think that people with reckless abandon are worse than those who are cautious tho

kerssens
04-29-2005, 12:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

it depends.. are you afraid when you are clearly in a safe situation, or are you hanging from a piece of dental floss from the outside of a skyscraper?

[/ QUOTE ]

Can't say I've ever been hanging from a skyscraper, pretty sure I'd need to change my pants from that experience. When I was younger even most safe places would make me nervous, like being at the window of my dad's 30th floor office but now it doesn't bother me so I guess I'm over it.

xadrez
04-29-2005, 12:39 PM
Jellyfish, and I have no frikkin clue why.

I dont care how hot it is, if I see one of those f'ers in water I wont go back in.

Rhone
04-29-2005, 12:42 PM
I have a fear that someone will push me onto the tracks when I'm waiting for the subway. It may have started with that famous Homicide episode with Vincent D'Onofrio, but I'm not sure. Anyway, I don't let it ruin my life or anything, I just step back toward the middle of the platform until the train arrives.

tbach24
04-29-2005, 12:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Jellyfish, and I have no frikkin clue why.

I dont care how hot it is, if I see one of those f'ers in water I wont go back in.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cause they hurt a lot and travel in packs. For science dudes out there, what are those things inside of them that look like chopped up peppers?

InchoateHand
04-29-2005, 12:47 PM
I'm not a science dude, but obviously there are more than one species of jellyfish. You'll have to be more specific. For what its worth, my favorite is the lion jellyfish---a "body" in excess of ten feet with tentacles extending to two hundred. Sea turtles close their eyes and just swim right on in.

Los Feliz Slim
04-29-2005, 12:47 PM
I would think a fear of spiders can be considered at least SOMEWHAT rational, in that it could help prevent you from being bitten by a poisonous spider.

I'm pretty afraid of dying, which is an irrational fear because it's inevitable. Fearing it isn't going to do me any good at all.

daryn
04-29-2005, 12:48 PM
I don't understand, if I have a story/excuse then wouldn't they be rational fears.

[/ QUOTE ]

not really. you could say you are afraid of spiders because you saw "attack of the 50 ft. spider" on tv one time.

tbach24
04-29-2005, 12:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm not a science dude, but obviously there are more than one species of jellyfish. You'll have to be more specific. For what its worth, my favorite is the lion jellyfish---a "body" in excess of ten feet with tentacles extending to two hundred. Sea turtles close their eyes and just swim right on in.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was at the Boston Aquarium the other day and there were like 10 types (btw, the Moon one is sooo cool) and they all had it. It was orange, there were 4 and they were not random.

wacki
04-29-2005, 12:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm pretty afraid of dying, which is an irrational fear because it's inevitable. Fearing it isn't going to do me any good at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not afraid of dying, but I am afraid of getting old. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

apd138
04-29-2005, 12:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] I was wondering how long it would take for somoene to attack Peachy's typo.

peachy
04-29-2005, 12:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

hahah i havent slept in i dunno how long...its finals week gimmie a break!!

Lazymeatball
04-29-2005, 12:51 PM
I've never had a fear of heights, spent alot of time time hanging from the top branches of trees when i was younger.

Spiders only creep me out in that they have the ability to crawl onto me and potentially bite me before I have a chance to stop them. Even then, I don't totally flip out if someone says there's a spider on my back, I would just calmly (yet urgently) ask them to brush it off. A spider in open space in front of me doesn't scare me.

Needles only creep me out when they are going into me. I can stand a quick poke, injection, and then your done. But a couple years ago I had to get a series of rabies vaccinations including a couple 10cc injections into both glutes. I didn't panic or anything, just stood there and felt very uncomfortable until they were done, which I assume in nature is a natural reaction to being poked with a metal object for any period of time.

About a year before that I was participating in some Asthma inhaler study, (blow into a tube, take a puff from an inhaler, blow into a tube again, get $30 cash, basic hobo stuff) which concluded in about a 30-40cc blood draw. the pinch didn't hurt, but the amount of time the needle spent in my arm kind of creeped me out.

After both incidents I started to feel light headed and queasy. I recovered in about five mintues without fainting or anything after getting some juice or cookies. I don't really believe that being uncomfortable with stuff poking into my veins is irrational. It's generally a good rule to follow in everyday life.

mostsmooth
04-29-2005, 12:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

me neither that's why i thought to bring it up. i get afraid if i think i am in danger, that's it.

[/ QUOTE ]
well you two guys are just soooo cool arent you!?!? /images/graemlins/cool.gif
actually, i cant think of any fears either. i dont like needles, well i dont have an opinion on needles themselves, but i definitely dont like getting shots. im not afraid, i just dont like it. is there a difference?

InchoateHand
04-29-2005, 12:57 PM
Ahhh...the four "pepper" things you saw are its feeding arms. I thought you meant something internal to the bell or body. I gets it now. Most Cnidarians (sp?) have four "arms".

Sponger15SB
04-29-2005, 12:58 PM
The one thing that puzzles me is people fear of flying. Not just anxiety on a plane, but like "I WONT get on a plane, ever."

Lazymeatball
04-29-2005, 01:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The one thing that puzzles me is people fear of flying. Not just anxiety on a plane, but like "I WONT get on a plane, ever."

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed, and these people are accepted as being otherwise rational in their daily lives. Intelligent people, who can't even be reasoned with statistics showing that driving in more hazardous, mile per mile than flying can have this fear.

tbach24
04-29-2005, 01:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My mom is like this. Good thing we drugged her or else she would've missed going to GA to pick me up from wilderness.

Sponger15SB
04-29-2005, 01:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed, and these people are accepted as being otherwise rational in their daily lives. Intelligent people, who can't even be reasoned with statistics showing that driving in more hazardous, mile per mile than flying can have this fear.

[/ QUOTE ]

This was exactly where I was going. It boggles my mind that people would get in a car every single day and be afraid to fly.

My aunt is afraid of flying, and a few months ago she had to go to a funeral and my uncle drove her 1,500 miles to go there. What a bitch!

Rotating Rabbit
04-29-2005, 01:02 PM
For the longest time (until about age 16) I was terrified of swimming pool filters. I would have to go round the swimming pool edge first to identify them all before risking it in the water.

Even now I dont like them; and choose to avoid where I can.

daryn
04-29-2005, 01:05 PM
For the longest time (until about age 16) I was terrified of swimming pool filters. I would have to go round the swimming pool edge first to identify them all before risking it in the water.

Even now I dont like them; and choose to avoid where I can.

[/ QUOTE ]

nice.. this is the stuff i am talking about.. more more more!!

wacki
04-29-2005, 01:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a feeling that a lot of this has to do with the fact that you are a science guy.

astroglide
04-29-2005, 01:09 PM
i know plenty of deep science people with irrational fears

wacki
04-29-2005, 01:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i know plenty of deep science people with irrational fears

[/ QUOTE ]

Really??? That's odd, what kind of phobias do they have?

Shajen
04-29-2005, 01:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Most people I've met that fit this criteria typically take perverse pride in it too...really weird.

"I don't fly, never have, never will! I'd rather drive the 3000 miles to California than set one foot on that plane."

/images/graemlins/confused.gif

TimM
04-29-2005, 01:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I have a fear that someone will push me onto the tracks when I'm waiting for the subway. It may have started with that famous Homicide episode with Vincent D'Onofrio, but I'm not sure. Anyway, I don't let it ruin my life or anything, I just step back toward the middle of the platform until the train arrives.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do this too. Not because of fictional episodes - I've seen at least one news report where someone was really pushed.

LondonBroil
04-29-2005, 01:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
what gives?

people deathly afraid of spiders, needles, etc. what is the world coming to? what are your irrational fears and excuses?

[/ QUOTE ]

I opened up this thread with the intent on replying that I hate both spiders and needles. Honestly.

sfer
04-29-2005, 01:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not afraid of dying, but I am afraid of getting old. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I've heard this many times. I'm convinced it's the same fear.

vulturesrow
04-29-2005, 01:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
what gives?

[/ QUOTE ]

Carnies..small hands, smell like cabbage.

astroglide
04-29-2005, 01:41 PM
very wide, 'typically odd' gamut. i find it surprising that you think that people in the science field would be exempted from something like this.

SomethingClever
04-29-2005, 01:52 PM
I am irrationally disturbed by spiders. If I see one inside, I must kill it or I can't be happy for quite some time.

Not talking daddy longlegs... but the thicker, faster moving ones just give me the willies.

partygirluk
04-29-2005, 01:56 PM
I am scared of needles. I have twice been to the doctors for a blood test in the past fortnight, but could not go through with it. I know it does not hurt. Anyway, some anaesethic cream was applied to the area. Made no difference. Something about the idea of a needle going into me makes me nauseous. I can't watch someone being injected on TV, but shooting, decapitations, defenestrations etc. present no such problem. I don't understand where this fear, which I know to be irrational, comes from.

thirddan
04-29-2005, 02:00 PM
its not really a fear, but i can't stand when babies have food all over their faces...

manpower
04-29-2005, 02:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
For science dudes out there, what are those things inside of them that look like chopped up peppers?

[/ QUOTE ]
http://www.emmai.com/paco/top/2001/photos/jellyfish.jpg
This is probably what you're refering to, as these guys seem to be the most common. The four white(sometimes purple or orange) rings are their digestive tracks, if i'm not retarded.

... nuclear war.

jakethebake
04-29-2005, 03:01 PM
I never used to have any irrational fears. Recently I've become afraid of hot tubs.

daryn
04-29-2005, 03:03 PM
I never used to have any irrational fears. Recently I've become afraid of hot tubs.

[/ QUOTE ]

if you actually knew how unfunny and lame you appear to be, you might just commit suicide.

wacki
04-29-2005, 03:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
very wide, 'typically odd' gamut. i find it surprising that you think that people in the science field would be exempted from something like this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not exempt, psychology is psychology. However, I'm in the field, and have been my whole life, and I've never met a scientist that had irrational fear.

I've met scientists with irrational hatred of all things republican, corporations (especially in acadamia), etc. But I've never seen one with a fear of heights, flying, etc.

I've always assumed that this was due to a rational thinking scientific mind.

So for me, I find it very odd to hear what you are saying.

Sample size is an odd thing.....

jakethebake
04-29-2005, 03:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

if you actually knew how unfunny and lame you appear to be, you might just commit suicide.

[/ QUOTE ]

Witty!

Dr. Strangelove
04-29-2005, 04:08 PM
1. Daryn is a dick.
2. I have an irrational fear of spiders. Understanding that it is irrational doesn't make it go away.
3. I have what most would call an irrational fear of flying, but what I would call a rational fear of the several minutes preceding the crash. I have a hard time thinking of a worse way to go. I would much rather die in an auto accident.

If commercial airlines had ejection seats I would have no problem.
If I absolutely must, I will fly.

brassnuts
04-29-2005, 05:33 PM
Basic pop-pscych 101: people fear the unknown.

I don't like spiders cuz they're too damn stealthy. There could be one on the back of my neck and another on my leg and I would have no clue. Plus, I had an incident as a child where I used an old blanket that had been in storage in our garage for a few years. As I wrapped myself up in, I disturbed a small number of black widows who decided to crawl all over me without my knowing. My dad comes in and sees one spider crawling on my head. He smacked it off my head. I ran into the bathroom and stripped my clothes off and there were 2 others crawling around in my clothes. Scarred for life, man.

Edit: If I see a harmless spider I can will myself to go pick it up and play with it, but I still don't like it.

Vaughn
04-29-2005, 05:36 PM
I fear I'm running out of herbage and booze. I'd best overcome that fear and get some mo'.

DUI

WEASEL45
04-29-2005, 05:47 PM
Flying
Heights
Rats

gamblore99
04-29-2005, 06:17 PM
I don't have any phobias, but I scare easy. Like one time on a tour of israel, they decided to through in some rock climbing. One or two parts of it, you would probably die if you lost your footing or grip. That was scary.

Actually I think I have one. Rollercosters. I hate them, and won't go on with any huge drops.

daryn
04-29-2005, 06:17 PM
I don't have any phobias, but I scare easy. Like one time on a tour of israel, they decided to through in some rock climbing. One or two parts of it, you would probably die if you lost your footing or grip. That was scary.

[/ QUOTE ]

sounds like a rational fear

gamblore99
04-29-2005, 06:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not exempt, psychology is psychology. However, I'm in the field, and have been my whole life, and I've never met a scientist that had irrational fear.

I've met scientists with irrational hatred of all things republican, corporations (especially in acadamia), etc. But I've never seen one with a fear of heights, flying, etc.

I've always assumed that this was due to a rational thinking scientific mind.

So for me, I find it very odd to hear what you are saying.

Sample size is an odd thing.....

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it is more difficult for people in the science field to develop phobias because as you said, they are able to rationalize things pretty well for the most part. But through conditioning, anyone can be given a phobia. I know some people in this field with phobias. Flying, and public restrooms.