PDA

View Full Version : Too agressive?

StojkeAK
04-29-2005, 11:31 AM
I'm new to SNG's and have done ok, but I have a problem where I bust out in 10th place with TPTK. I don't have exact hand history but it's prety close

BB: 15 SB: 10
I have AQo UTG+1 and raise to 60 and get called by 1 in LP and 1 in the blinds
FLOP: Q 5 9 (rainbow)
Pot is about 200 and i bet 200 with TPTK. I get called by the LP and the blind folds
TURN: 2
The pot is now 800, and with 400 left I push and the calls and flopped a set of 5's. Was this bad? In limited my xpierince in SNG's so far this has been the most common way me busting out early.

Misfire
04-29-2005, 11:36 AM
I wouldn't start by raising preflop. In fact, in early position, I'd probably fold.

hummusx
04-29-2005, 11:38 AM
This is really similar to another thread that's going. I kind of have this same question, I guess, because I probably play it exactly the way you did. The problem with this hand is that at the 11-33 levels on Party, Villian is equally likely to have QT as he is to have 55 or 99. Heck, Villian might have Q4, and he'd still play it the same way, or even A9 or K9. I busted some guy last night in the first couple rounds with TPTK to his MPTK. And I'd raise PF.

My current philosophy at the 33s is that I'm going to run into TPWK or MPWK or even worse much more often than trips or two pair, so I think it's worth busting out now and then to play it like this. Maybe at higher levels this isn't the case.

Note that this is also why it's worth playing pairs for set value at the lower blind levels.

hummusx
04-29-2005, 11:40 AM
Oops, yeah I should have mentioned that I wouldn't be raising with AQo in the early game, especially UTG+1. What I meant to say was that I'd probably play the same as you did from the flop on. Or I think the hand is just as valid if you we change the two queens to kings.

Misfire
04-29-2005, 12:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Oops, yeah I should have mentioned that I wouldn't be raising with AQo in the early game, especially UTG+1. What I meant to say was that I'd probably play the same as you did from the flop on. Or I think the hand is just as valid if you we change the two queens to kings.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think limping preflop (and the smaller resulting pot) would also make it easier to lay down if a set starting throwing chips around. I don't think I'd go to the felt w/ TPTK this early.

Sam T.
04-29-2005, 12:09 PM
Assuming you're playing low buy-ins, I'd agree with the other posters.

From EP, I'd probably limp with AQ, and see what happens. I want to keep the pot small with a solid, but vulnerable hand, so that you can ditch it if necessary. It probably wouldn't have helped in this hand, but at level one, I also raise to t75 or t80. You do not want a lot of business.

On the flop, I'd bet a bit less. With a board like this (which is pretty close to perfect), betting half or two-thirds of the pot will knock out those who whiffed the flop just as effectively as a full-pot bet. You can bet less to win the same amount. If he cold-calls, you have options on the turn other than pushing. If he raises, you can reconsider how much you want to be in this pot.

That said, in a $11 SNG, I'll go broke right along with you. As others have pointed out, you'll be shown weaker queens (Fish mantra: Play the pair, not the kicker.), second pairs, underpairs, etc. all the time. It's great when it works out, but obviously there are times when you are torched.

Good luck, and keep posting.

Sam

valenzuela
04-29-2005, 12:30 PM
AQo early levels early position is the kinda hand that leaves u broke