PDA

View Full Version : Hitchiker's Guide to Galaxy movie

Wynton
04-29-2005, 10:54 AM
Has anyone seen this yet? Anyone heard how it is?

More specifically, does anyone have any idea whether the movie might be entertaining for kids (10 and 8)? I wouldn't expect they would catch all the humor, but I'm hoping it wouldn't be boring for them either. I want to go see this movie this weekend, and might have to bring my kids.

Catch of the Day
04-29-2005, 11:26 AM
Didn't it just come out today?

Catch-

P.S. Me, The Dude, and GoT are going to see it round one so I will let you know.

Wynton
04-29-2005, 11:29 AM
It just came out today in NY, where I've read some pretty good reviews. But thought it might have been out faster other places. In fact, one person in London told me he saw it last night, and liked it.

The Dude
04-29-2005, 05:52 PM
I just got back from the movie, and I was disappointed.

tbach24
04-29-2005, 05:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I just got back from the movie, and I was disappointed.

[/ QUOTE ]

did you read the book? i havent read it...will i be disappointed?

Wynton
04-29-2005, 05:55 PM
Did you think that 10 year old kids would find it entertaining or boring?

LondonBroil
04-29-2005, 05:59 PM
I got tickets for the 9:40 show and am very excited to see it. The IMDB ratings are very promising and I am a big fan of Douglas Adams books.

SomethingClever
04-29-2005, 06:01 PM
I'm seeing it at 8pm pacific tonight. I will report back.

I have read all the books a billion times each; I may be the biggest non-british fan of these books ever.

The Dude
04-29-2005, 06:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
did you read the book? i havent read it...will i be disappointed?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, I just finished the first book last night actually, I'm about half way into the second. (The movie doesn't get into the second book at all.) I don't know if you'll be disappointed. The movie itself is kind of corny, but has several very funny lines - all taken virtually verbatim from the book.

The Dude
04-29-2005, 06:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Did you think that 10 year old kids would find it entertaining or boring?

[/ QUOTE ]
My guess is boring, since I don't think 4th graders will get the satirical humor in the film, and it's not "kiddish" enough to entertain them elsewise. I dunno, though, 10 year olds are wierd.

kerssens
04-29-2005, 06:28 PM
I'm going to see it tonight and I'm expecting it to suck. I haven't read the book. Since I'm expecting a garbage movie, I'm hoping that it'll be just below average, thus exceeding my expectations. That's what happened with I,Robot.

peachy
04-29-2005, 06:49 PM
i took my brothers to see this movie this afternoon and the movie was not good at all...and most movies i find at least good and this one wasnt even near good

kerssens
04-29-2005, 06:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
the movie was not good at all

[/ QUOTE ]

In that case I'll have fun laughing at how bad the movie is and making fun of it. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Phill S
04-29-2005, 06:56 PM
i enjoyed the movie - and i dont think anyone with an ounce of thought would think it would cover most of one of the books, let alone more than one.

course i enjoyed the book more, but you know.

think of it as a re-imagining of the story. its basicly devloped several times from the radio show, TV show to the 5 books (tho ive not read thanks for all the fish and the 5th one with arthur's daughter).

the books are great. but like i say, the movie was good. its a companion and if it gets a few thousand people reading douglas adams books (all 7 of them) then thats a great thing.

bring on milliways.

Phill

kerssens
04-29-2005, 06:57 PM
reading books is overrated.

peachy
04-29-2005, 07:25 PM
i didnt read the book and i still thought it was awful and like i said i find few movies awful...it was the equivalent of The Village awful. Both had potential and then when they ended u were like what the hell was that....

i didnt see u asked about for kids...my brothers are 12 and 14 and there were others there with kids smaller...my brothers didnt like it because it was boring...not enough too keep them or me interested. One thought it was so bad he was like "I got checked out of school for this?" hahaha so i guess he hated it. They laughed at one part...and i only smiled at a few parts - nothing was overly funny in it.

kerssens
04-29-2005, 07:27 PM
I'm actually more looking forward to seeing this movie now. For some reason I like really bad movies, depending on who I'm watching it with.

JackWilson
04-29-2005, 07:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
like i said i find few movies awful...it was the equivalent of The Village awful

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you see a lot of movies? The Village is not anywhere near awful in comparison with some other crap out there.

EDIT: Still a little while until THHGTTG comes out in South Africa but, having read and LOVED the book (I think it's the best ever written based purely on entertainment factor) I don't see how this could ever be turned into a good movie. Granted my last reading of it was a while ago but...I don't think any of the humor would translate well to film.

tbach24
04-29-2005, 07:35 PM
1-10, with 1 being fast and furious and 10 being sin city, where's it at?

peachy
04-29-2005, 07:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
like i said i find few movies awful...it was the equivalent of The Village awful

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you see a lot of movies? The Village is not anywhere near awful in comparison with some other crap out there.

[/ QUOTE ]

yes i love movies...so i see a good # of them....the humor wasnt the issue (although the movie lacked humor badly) - the issue was the movie had SOOOOOOOOOO much potential, come on its about the galaxy and the 29340923094239040923 different life forms that could be out there. It was horrible - the overall idea was great - the story blew in this movie (like i said ive never read the books) And it was horrible b/c it had potential and i was waiting the WHOLE movie for something to happen that was worth anything and then it ends.... ???????!?!??!?!?!?!!?

and TBACH - i didnt find the 1st fast and furious THAT bad...this movie was far below it if that says anything. Because of the facts ive stated it was one of the worst movies ive seen this year...maybe even in years - but this is my opinion.

And just b/c im a girl doesnt mean i only like sappy girlie movies, u have to remember aliens is one of my favorite movies and like i said before i can sit through just about any movie and rarely find any that i just cant stand - i will NEVER sit through this movie ever again. Either they didn't use thier time wisely, it got edited horribly, or they needed more time to make it worth while. To me it seems the movie needed far more time and more context - i woulda easily sat through a movie that was around 3 hours or so like this if they had told any kind of a hint of a story. It had so many little stories (characters) within it that they went no where with and because of that u were like wtf was that part even in there for?!?!? So then the whole movie seems like a bunch of these parts so bascially the movie becomes a wtf was that?? The movie would have been better for me with the 1st 15 mins and then a 5 min part about earth later. If it had been THOSE 2 parts ALONE i would have found this movie far far far far far far better

kerssens
04-29-2005, 07:40 PM
Was the book funny like haha funny? For some reason I have a hard time believing that I could laugh out loud reading a book. That being said, I don't remember the last time I read a book (high school?)

JMP300z
04-29-2005, 07:50 PM
THe books are hysterical...if you have a sense of humor.

-JP

Jack of Arcades
04-29-2005, 07:51 PM
Do you ever laugh out loud reading something online? I don't see why a book would be so different.

DeezNuts
04-29-2005, 08:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Was the book funny like haha funny? For some reason I have a hard time believing that I could laugh out loud reading a book.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are thousands of books that should qualify under this. However, the books you are forced to read for academic pursuits rarely evoke laughter.

[ QUOTE ]
That being said, I don't remember the last time I read a book (high school?)

[/ QUOTE ]

Sadly, you are not the exception to the rule. Addiction to other forms of media such as television and the internet is turning out to be very unhealthy for society.

DN

The Dude
04-29-2005, 08:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
For some reason I have a hard time believing that I could laugh out loud reading a book.

[/ QUOTE ]
I laughed out loud numberous times during the first book, and so far the second book is much of the same.

manpower
04-29-2005, 10:51 PM
Yeah the books are laugh out loud funny. I've read them all. I'll let you all know when I see the movie.

kerssens
04-30-2005, 12:36 AM
This movie is highly retarded. Does the British sense of humor stop evolving at 10 years old? There is absolutely no subtlety and it is completely juvenile. The only thing that was missing was men dressed in women's clothes to complete the movie. There were a few parts where the crowd started cheering and all I could do was shake my fist at them all.

ilya
04-30-2005, 12:37 AM
I think kids would really like it. Lots of visual gags, crazy sets, funny outfits.

scotty34
04-30-2005, 12:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
This movie is highly retarded. Does the British sense of humor stop evolving at 10 years old? There is absolutely no subtlety and it is completely juvenile. The only thing that was missing was men dressed in women's clothes to complete the movie. There were a few parts where the crowd started cheering and all I could do was shake my fist at them all.

[/ QUOTE ]

"You know what is funny?"

"What?"

"A man dressed in a woman's clothing"

"Ah yes, ripping good laugh"

kerssens
04-30-2005, 12:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

"You know what is funny?"

"What?"

"A man dressed in a woman's clothing"

"Ah yes, ripping good laugh"

[/ QUOTE ]

"The British are lovely people, not physically of course"

LondonBroil
04-30-2005, 03:44 AM
Just got back after seeing it and I have to say I was disappointed. I was REALLY hoping I'd like it but I just didn't. It's like they tried to cram too much from the book into the running time. They also put in a bunch of stuff that wasn't in the book which would have been better served putting in more from the book.

The best parts were definitely Marvin and the Probability Ship's computer. Zaphod was absolutely horrible. Not just horrible, horrible like JarJar horrible. It's really a shame too.

SPOILERS

At least they put the whale and petunia part in /images/graemlins/grin.gif

manpower
05-08-2005, 02:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'll let you all know when I see the movie.

[/ QUOTE ] Saw it, very meh.

einbert
05-08-2005, 07:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
For some reason I have a hard time believing that I could laugh out loud reading a book.

[/ QUOTE ]
Wow.

Crveballin
05-08-2005, 09:20 PM
I saw it today and I want my money back. I read the book and loved it (when i was like 10) but the movie sucked.