PDA

View Full Version : Top Pair Top Kicker Question

pokey32
04-29-2005, 10:47 AM
I wanted to ask the resident experts about a play of mine in a tournament last night, which ended up working for me, but of course that doesn't necessarily mean it was the right decision. The first hand in a 10 person SNG at Party (start with 800 chips) went like this: I was in middle position, a couple players limped in front of me, so I called with AQ offsuit, a couple more players limped in and the BB checked, I believe there were about 6 people to see the flop, which came:

4, 8, Q rainbow

The SB and the BB checked, and the next player bet 200 into a pot that only had 100. Everyone folded to me. In my mind I thought that such an overbet likely meant one of two things: A total bluff or he had a Q with a worse kicker and he wanted to take down the pot right there. I thought it was unlikely that he had a set with such a big bet. I raised all-in, he thought for a second, called and showed Q10. He got no help and I doubled up. I just wanted to know what people here think of my play? I know it worked out for me this time but was my reasoning correct?

zambonidrivr
04-29-2005, 10:49 AM
good play. not sure abot the all in but a re-raise was def in order. not sure of chip stack or preflop action either, but this sounds pretty darn right to me... just as long as you didn't let anyone limp pre-flop, i am okay with this

Freudian
04-29-2005, 11:01 AM
Overbet usually means "ok but not great".

Which of course sometimes makes overbets very useful against solid players when you have a set. They will go all in with hands you dominate and you can pat yourself on the back for being supremely cunning.

hummusx
04-29-2005, 11:16 AM
First I wanted to say that I really like seeing questions like this, questions that ask 'this worked out great but I'm not sure I should have done it.' Sorta like the opposite of a play that was 'duh' but then the person got sucked out on so they post and ask if they should fold aces pre-flop. This TPTK thing has really been on my mind a lot, so I'm glad you asked and I hope more people will weigh in on the issue.

I'd probably play this the same way, although I might not re-raise all-in.

[ QUOTE ]
just as long as you didn't let anyone limp pre-flop, i am okay with this

[/ QUOTE ]

He said everyone limped, including him.