PDA

View Full Version : Hand 2 - flopping 2 pair on a free play

davidross
04-29-2005, 10:05 AM
THis has happened a lot in the last little while where I get a free play, hit the flop hard but then get run down. With a big field I don't know if betting out is best or trying for a check-raise to thin the field.

3 limpers and the SB completes, I'm in the BB with J /images/graemlins/spade.gif 3 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Flop 2 /images/graemlins/club.gif J /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 3 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

I bet out thinking (hoping) someone will raise here. I get 2 calls.

Turn 6 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

I bet and get 2 more calls.

River 4 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

Now what? I seem to make the wrong decision here every time.

krishanleong
04-29-2005, 10:10 AM
It's a tough spot and read on opponents would be invaluable. You can't hand read someone into a 5. There are not a lot of hands with a 5 that call this flop. Because of that you have to bet in my mind.

I'd fold to a raise from a passive and call from anyone else.

Krishan

tolbiny
04-29-2005, 10:14 AM
Bet out.
Calling a raise is standard, could be anything- especially if the sb is one of the callers- two pair- AJ.

ISF
04-29-2005, 10:15 AM
You have to value bet this. The decision to bet call or bet fold is player dependent, but against many I would bet fold here depending on where the raise came from especially with two opponents.

Guy McSucker
04-29-2005, 10:17 AM
Bet every street, including the river.

Flop: it's the kind of flop that often gets checked around when nobody has anything, and also the kind of flop where people call with any two cards hoping to hit the turn.

Turn: obviously bet.

River: clear value bet, and usually call a raise unless you know your enemy well.

Guy.

Alobar
04-29-2005, 10:18 AM
Why do you suspect anyone has a 5? Your bad run is making you see monsters. I bet, theyve called the whole way, give them another chance to call again. If either of them are the type that will bluff bet or bet their crummy made hand n this board, if you check, then I would have gone for the turn c/r

MAxx
04-29-2005, 10:25 AM
I echo the river bet in all cases. I also echo the sentiment for calling a river-raise in most cases. In anycase you have to lead river.

Packerfan1
04-29-2005, 10:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Why do you suspect anyone has a 5?

[/ QUOTE ]

See hand #1. The guy has K7 and calls 2 preflop and two more on the flop of Q95... K7! These goofs can and will have anything, anytime. I wouldn't doubt that they BOTH have a freakin 5. Seeing monsters? Yep - their called the luckbox monsters and there are herds of them. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

I'd bet and fold to the raise, but I can't blame you for not liking it DR.

Pack

PS- Alobar, just giving you grief, your posts are always very good. Thanks.

mindflayer
04-29-2005, 01:24 PM
No reads again,
Also your posting is getting a bit more sloppy too.
are you playing more than 4 short handed tables??
Im sure your using GT+ or some other aid to make your calls.
(you used to put a story behind each hand and player..now I can't tell who called.)

Without reads, Bet the river and call any raise.

fnord_too
04-29-2005, 01:33 PM
Bet and fold to a raise. (Haven't read the other responses yet, but I am guessing mine is not going to be very novel). Against some people you even have to call a raise, but you will generally know who they are.

edit - wow, I'm the only one who is folding this usually to a raise. maybe that is something I need to rethink.

Grisgra
04-29-2005, 01:34 PM
Echoing thoughts of another poster -- yeah, what is it with the no reads? How many tables are you playing?

DrGutshot
04-29-2005, 01:37 PM
David, play 2 tables for a while if these situations are uncomfortable for you.

I don't mean this in a negative or arrogant way, just trying to give some constructive advice.

And yeah, bet here, call a raise against an unknown, fold vs. passive.

Betting the flop+turn is the correct play as well unless you know there is a bet-when-checked-to player, then bet the flop and c/r the turn.

-DrG

Surfbullet
04-29-2005, 03:10 PM
bet the river, you'll get calls from weak 1 pairs and other garbage hands way more often than not.

Surf

Jeffage
04-29-2005, 03:11 PM
Bet. Pay off a raise. Next question.

Jeff

davidross
04-29-2005, 04:08 PM
On one hand, I'm feeling better about my play because in most of these hands I posted the majority have said to do what I did. I bet the river and got raised. THe SB folded and I called. He had A /images/graemlins/spade.gif 5 /images/graemlins/spade.gif and once again cost myself a bet. I guess that's part of running bad.

I'm sorry for not posting reads on players. I saved these hands during play last night but I play 1600 hands in the session and I really don't remember if I had anything specific on the players today when I posted the hands. I understand how difficult that makes it to give advice, I guess I'm trying to do a general checkup here.