PDA

View Full Version : Coaching

hummusx
04-29-2005, 09:34 AM
I'm curious how many people have either coached or been coached in SNG play? And I mean directly, not the obvious 'coaching' that takes place on the forums here. How do these arrangements come about and how do they usually work? I've often thought I could make a significant jump in my play quality if I could just get someone to concentrate on my game for a couple hours and yell at me for all the stupid stuff I do.

raptor517
04-29-2005, 09:43 AM
i kinda coached my roomate to play. plus i get some people to look at my hand histories every once in a while and i do the same for them. helps keep our games sharp. holla

skipperbob
04-29-2005, 09:46 AM
How about this for a way to get "coached" for free?:
Pull down tournament histories for the SnG's that you play;
Check-out how the players who lasted longer than you played

hummusx
04-29-2005, 09:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
How about this for a way to get "coached" for free?:
Pull down tournament histories for the SnG's that you play;
Check-out how the players who lasted longer than you played

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I saw something about that in another thread and thought about it. But the real problem with this (and with analyzing my own play), is that I don't have enough perspective yet to make judgements. You can't just say, 'this person went out after me, therefore I should emulate how they played.' People who play worse than me bust me out of tournaments all the time. Also, most of the time I don't get to see the hands that other [good] people are playing with, because so much of the play is wrapped up in blind stealing.

Phil Van Sexton
04-29-2005, 10:04 AM
You should just PM a poster that you respect and ask nicely if they would look at your games and/or send you some of their tournaments.

skipperbob
04-29-2005, 10:05 AM
No!...The real problem is that it requires work & I'm sure that you don't want to do any of that....I got what I deserved for trying to make a meaningful reply to your question /images/graemlins/confused.gif

TheUsher
04-29-2005, 10:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You should just PM a poster that you respect and ask nicely if they would look at your games and/or send you some of their tournaments.

[/ QUOTE ]

I put the over/under on 2 people that'll pm you soon because of this post Phil. Might be too low though... /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

hummusx
04-29-2005, 10:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
No!...The real problem is that it requires work & I'm sure that you don't want to do any of that....I got what I deserved for trying to make a meaningful reply to your question /images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Give me a break. Everything I said was correct: just because someone lasted longer than you doesn't mean you should emulate their play. I'm not saying I can't learn anything from them. I do review my hand histories. But you know what? When I look at someone else's play, I can't ask them WHY they did what they did. I can't ask them, 'over the 1000 times that you make this play, what results do you see'. Most of the people I've never played at a table before, so I have no idea if they are just playing their first SNG ever or their 500th or their 5000th.

So sorry that I didn't say, 'Wow that's the greatest suggestion ever, even though it's a complete sidetrack that doesn't answer the question that I posted.'

hummusx
04-29-2005, 10:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was worried that I'd be pestering people. I've gotta think that 'those people' are badgered by people a lot and I didn't want to be presumptuous. Maybe I'll think about doing this.

eastbay
04-29-2005, 11:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Eh? Studying good players is a good suggestion. However...

There is a pretty obvious sample size problem in choosing people who lasted longer than you in one tournament. You're very likely going to end up studying mostly players that suck hiney.

eastbay

Misfire
04-29-2005, 02:18 PM
I'd also like to know who offers coaching and what kind of rate to expect.

Phill S
04-29-2005, 02:52 PM
im actually interested in this.

would any of you guys consider doing this, say for someone like me /images/graemlins/grin.gif

seriously though, ive made the leap from slower stars tourneys to faster party games and the adjustments arent easy - and ive got a head start on most people (ive played SnGs for over 2 years on and off, and ive tried party before). whether im learning quickly or im getting a bit of luck, im getting it more as time goes on (and learning while making a slim profit isnt half bad).

if someone were to offer a service to look over say 100 hand hists for a flat fee, while it wont make someone daliman over night, it can smooth out some rough edges.

if i were more experienced id offer this service. just a thought.

Phill

Apathy
04-29-2005, 03:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'd also like to know who offers coaching and what kind of rate to expect.

[/ QUOTE ]

The thing is, is that for any of the top SNG players here 'coaching' is -$EV, even if they are taking say 75% of profits or something. They would have to have another reason to do it other then just money probably

dfscott
04-29-2005, 03:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Eh? Studying good players is a good suggestion. However...

There is a pretty obvious sample size problem in choosing people who lasted longer than you in one tournament. You're very likely going to end up studying mostly players that suck hiney.

eastbay

[/ QUOTE ]

Another problem is that even if they're the mack-daddy, you'll see:

MackDaddy is all-in
Loser 1 folds
Loser 2 folds
Loser 3 folds
MackDaddy wins.

Hmm... wonder what he was pushing with there..."

hummusx
04-29-2005, 03:54 PM
Whoa what the hell happened to your avatar?

To Apathy, you're assuming that a coaching arrangement would be for a % of winnings? Is that typically the way it would work?

Apathy
04-29-2005, 03:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]

To Apathy, you're assuming that a coaching arrangement would be for a % of winnings? Is that typically the way it would work?

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I have considered in the past, charging 50% for a month or whatever, but you could do it for a set rate, hourly rate whatever, there's no "standard" aggreement.

Misfire
04-29-2005, 04:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
That's what I have considered in the past, charging 50% for a month or whatever, but you could do it for a set rate, hourly rate whatever, there's no "standard" aggreement.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, a percentage from the stakes I play would be pitiful. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

FieryJustice
04-29-2005, 04:54 PM
I want to be taught by one of the regular step 5'ers. Let me know the price, either a percentage or a flat fee, and what will be done to teach me how to be "good". Also, Eurobet does not give out tourney reports, so that is out. I know it is -EV but it is worth a shot!

Jcardshark

sofere
04-29-2005, 05:06 PM
Rather than looking at how other people play their hands in order to emulate them, you could look at what they call with in different push stealing situations. This way you can get a better idea of what opponents' general calling requirements are in different situations. Obviously there will be sample size issues, but I think might help a great deal when estimating $ev through ICM or SNG-Analyzer.

Also, analyze your hand histories meticulously, isolating every time it was folded around to you 4-5 handed. Run an icm of every one of these situations and see if your play was +$ev.

It is a lot of work, but you don't need someone to yell at you if you learn to look back and yell at yourself.

Coaching can get expensive, and you still might not get the advice your looking for. Also if you do the analysis yourself, it will stick better than having someone tell it to you.

Think of it this way, coaching is expensive. If you do the due diligence yourself, you'll get a lot more out of it AND you'll basically be paying yourself rather than paying someone else.

Note: All this stuff is stuff I've been meaning to do, but have been just to damn lazy.

dfscott
04-29-2005, 05:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd started winning enough that "poor, poor, pitiful me" didn't seem appropriate anymore and when the post about pocket nines being "Feldons" came up, I couldn't resist.

I'm also hoping it gets me into Yugo's Secret Club since I now have a chick as an avatar, too.

Newt_Buggs
04-29-2005, 05:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Also, analyze your hand histories meticulously, isolating every time it was folded around to you 4-5 handed. Run an icm of every one of these situations and see if your play was +$ev.

[/ QUOTE ]
on a side note, is this always a good idea? Everytime a push is +ev doesn't necessarily mean it was the right push does it? Even if a push is marginally +EV, you lose future FE by making it

LeVoodoo
04-29-2005, 06:23 PM
I was thinking of starting a similar thread, but I may as well add it on here since it is on topic.
It struck me that studying a good players tournament history would be a great way to learn. There is a wealth of information in those things and being able to see how a certain player reacts in different situations would be very informative.

So, are hand histories something that you're supposed to pay for, or do you just try to find somebody nice enough to share them with you no strings attached? If the latter, is anybody willing? If the former, PM me.

Blarg
04-29-2005, 09:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Give me a break. Everything I said was correct: just because someone lasted longer than you doesn't mean you should emulate their play. I'm not saying I can't learn anything from them. I do review my hand histories. But you know what? When I look at someone else's play, I can't ask them WHY they did what they did. I can't ask them, 'over the 1000 times that you make this play, what results do you see'. Most of the people I've never played at a table before, so I have no idea if they are just playing their first SNG ever or their 500th or their 5000th.

So sorry that I didn't say, 'Wow that's the greatest suggestion ever, even though it's a complete sidetrack that doesn't answer the question that I posted.'

[/ QUOTE ]

Your reply and your original reply were both fair ones. I dunno what's bunching up Skipper's shorthairs today.

Blarg
04-29-2005, 09:46 PM
In case some folks haven't seen these, it's a good place to check out some hand histories, which some people seem to be anxious to get. These are mostly $50 and $200 games.

The replayer is a tiny piece of software. This place was recommended to me a while ago by a pro. It also has some nice pages of great interest strategy-wise.

http://teamfu.freeshell.org/track.html

and for guest histories,

http://teamfu.freeshell.org/visitor_histories.html

Degen
04-29-2005, 11:30 PM
SNG's are not hard to beat at the 22/33 level. I could teach an intelligent twelve year old who has never played poker before to beat them in a couple of hours if they followed all of my instructions to a T.

The problem is that, as Apathy alluded to, its probably more profitable for a good player to be at the tables winning than to be coaching for hours on end.

Hand histories and the explaining of fundamental concepts are going to be the most effective way to teach. I think that through teaching, one gets better themselves, and because of this I would be willing to stear a new player or two toward the correct strategy.

I would be willing to review hand histories and explain fundamental concepts of SNG theory.

If you are not fully adept at bubble play, blind stealing theory or early tourney hand selection, I am your guy.

I beat the 33's regularly for over a 27% ROI and have been very successful at the 55 level as well. PM w/ any questions or comments.

Andre

TheUsher
04-30-2005, 12:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
SNG's are not hard to beat at the 22/33 level. I could teach an intelligent twelve year old who has never played poker before to beat them in a couple of hours if they followed all of my instructions to a T.

The problem is that, as Apathy alluded to, its probably more profitable for a good player to be at the tables winning than to be coaching for hours on end.

Hand histories and the explaining of fundamental concepts are going to be the most effective way to teach. I think that through teaching, one gets better themselves, and because of this I would be willing to stear a new player or two toward the correct strategy.

I would be willing to review hand histories and explain fundamental concepts of SNG theory.

If you are not fully adept at bubble play, blind stealing theory or early tourney hand selection, I am your guy.

I beat the 33's regularly for over a 27% ROI and have been very successful at the 55 level as well. PM w/ any questions or comments.

Andre

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey Degen, not to bust your balls or anything, but you might want to add your ROI at the 55's, or at the very least, how many games you've played at both levels. Seems a bit misleading to some people when you quote 1 ROI # but not the other in your ad above.

Degen
04-30-2005, 12:04 AM
Sorry....over 1200 at 33...just shy of 500 55's w/ 17% ROI...not looking to coach a 55 player, 33 or lower.

Andre

faquewdikhed
04-30-2005, 12:28 AM
I post here regularly... it's a fun little forum. Could use some more input from higgggggh level pros though!!

Blarg
04-30-2005, 12:44 AM
I've never checked the forums, but the hand histories posted there are pretty old. Seems people aren't uploading any more.

That's at least partly the fault of the site owner, that's for sure. There's no "contact us" link or link on how to submit hand histories on those pages where they're listed. Couldn't do less to encourage people to contribute, really.

faquewdikhed
04-30-2005, 12:46 AM
You gotta check the forums... The site owner is MJ.. he posts there quite frequently

Apathy
04-30-2005, 04:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I've never checked the forums, but the hand histories posted there are pretty old. Seems people aren't uploading any more.

That's at least partly the fault of the site owner, that's for sure. There's no "contact us" link or link on how to submit hand histories on those pages where they're listed. Couldn't do less to encourage people to contribute, really.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's really not the reason at all, the reason is more likely due to the fact that everyone who posted those regrets it.

Blarg
04-30-2005, 06:01 AM
I'm not sure how or why for sure that that might be true, but I do know one guy who posted tourneys there who never said anything about regretting it, and he recommended the site to me.

My point still stands, though. There are new people to poker every day. But by making submitting tourneys an obscure process, the site pretty much ensures it won't be done. That same smallish selection of games there has remained unchanged for many months.

Apathy
04-30-2005, 02:35 PM
Really? If your talking about dali.. I'm shocked he would say that, I mean I know he doesn't care if people see them since they are already up but I would be a little surpsrised if he didn't regret it. If your talking about Chelif911, then I can totally understand why he could care less if people see those...

Dr_Jeckyl_00
04-30-2005, 03:39 PM
People have refered to SNG and ICM, what is that?

Degen
04-30-2005, 04:44 PM
lol

SNG is a single table tournament...what this forum is all about.

ICM is an internal chip magnet, what i will install inside of you if i coach you. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Andre

The Yugoslavian
04-30-2005, 04:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
lol
SNG is a single table tournament...what this forum is all about.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL. No it's not /images/graemlins/tongue.gif. STT = single table tournament. SNG = sit and go which is a small tournament where there is no specified start time, one just waits for the table(s) to fill up and then the tournament starts.

Yugoslav

Degen
04-30-2005, 04:54 PM
Yugo 2
Degen 0

NH sir

Andre

stupidsucker
04-30-2005, 05:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A sure sign that you have no clue really.

Define regularly for us all please.

I'll bet you $1,000,000 that you can't sustain a 27% roi at the 30s over a 5k sample while 4tabling. The burdon of proof is on you. I am not a gambling man, this is solid + EV bet for me.

A while back I asked for anyone with 5k+ recent HHs at the 30s to show me their roi. No one could show me an roi over 18% yet you claim 27%

Ive had rois of 40% over nearly a 1k sample size before, but all in all I settle around 15%. I must suck.

Maulik
04-30-2005, 05:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A sure sign that you have no clue really.

Define regularly for us all please.

I'll bet you $1,000,000 that you can't sustain a 27% roi at the 30s over a 5k sample while 4tabling. The burdon of proof is on you. I am not a gambling man, this is solid + EV bet for me.

A while back I asked for anyone with 5k+ recent HHs at the 30s to show me their roi. No one could show me an roi over 18% yet you claim 27%

Ive had rois of 40% over nearly a 1k sample size before, but all in all I settle around 15%. I must suck.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ulimately if you can prove you ability to beat any limit, its time to take a stab at the next one. I would NEVER play 5k at the $33s, this is utterly ridiculous.

briliant.

The Yugoslavian
04-30-2005, 05:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Ulimately if you can prove you ability to beat any limit, its time to take a stab at the next one. I would NEVER play 5k at the $33s, this is utterly ridiculous.

briliant.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is wrong.

not so brilliant.

Yugoslav

byronkincaid
04-30-2005, 06:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Ulimately if you can prove you ability to beat any limit, its time to take a stab at the next one

[/ QUOTE ]

You seem to be disregarding living expenses. I think after thousands of $55s I'm a pretty strong player now but the bills come before the $109s.

Maulik
04-30-2005, 06:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

briliant.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is wrong.

not so brilliant.

Yugoslav

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Ulimately if you can prove you ability to beat any limit, its time to take a stab at the next one

[/ QUOTE ]

You seem to be disregarding living expenses. I think after thousands of $55s I'm a pretty strong player now but the bills come before the $109s.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think that a Pro is playing $33s for a living, sure it is possible if he plays enough. But chances are he's not and he's moving up as his bankroll permits and feels confident in his game. I hope one isn't spending 5,000 tournaments to get confident at the $33s.

p.s. I think what I'm saying is WHY (if you aren't paying for living expenses with poker would you consider playing 5k tournamnets at the $30s.

byronkincaid
04-30-2005, 06:31 PM
There are quite a few pros in the 33s. Stupidsucker is one of them

Maulik
04-30-2005, 06:34 PM
That would explain his interest in seeing 5k tournaments with the ROI degen mentions.

stupidsucker
04-30-2005, 06:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't think that a Pro is playing $33s for a living, sure it is possible if he plays enough. But chances are he's not and he's moving up as his bankroll permits and feels confident in his game. I hope one isn't spending 5,000 tournaments to get confident at the $33s.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
There are quite a few pros in the 33s. Stupidsucker is one of them

[/ QUOTE ]

Ive been playing the 20s recently.

The security that low limit SnGs offers is more important to me then big money. Ive made ventures into the 50s, but mix a swing in with bills due date meshed with a little bit of laziness on my part and you have a pro at the 30s. Bad things happen at bad times.

I enjoyed being lazy while playing poker for a living. Times have changed though.

byronkincaid
04-30-2005, 06:39 PM
Lorinda is probably the first person to come to mind on the topic of people who are playing at levels far lower than they could beat.

1C5
04-30-2005, 06:42 PM
Can you post your screennames or PM to me so I can stay off your tables as I am playing the 20s also now.

Maulik
04-30-2005, 06:43 PM
s.s. that seems reasonable, like I said I understand the bills and stuff, who knows where I'll settle. I'm in college and trying to get to the $215s before I graduate and have real living expesnes.

each person brings a unique set of circumstances, I'm not juding that.

as for lordina or anyone else whose not playing at limits they are ready for, not everyone loves gambling at high stakes i guess or something.

moral of what i should have said in my head and on the boards is: to each their own. i hope i haven't offended anywone.

The Yugoslavian
04-30-2005, 06:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]

i hope i haven't offended anywone.

[/ QUOTE ]

No...you just don't know what you're talking about /images/graemlins/smile.gif.

But don't worry, you haven't been the biggest idiot in this thread, /images/graemlins/wink.gif. I'll leave it as an exercise to the reader as who is...

Yugoslav

Misfire
04-30-2005, 06:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
s.s. that seems reasonable, like I said I understand the bills and stuff, who knows where I'll settle. I'm in college and trying to get to the $215s before I graduate and have real living expesnes.

each person brings a unique set of circumstances, I'm not juding that.

as for lordina or anyone else whose not playing at limits they are ready for, not everyone loves gambling at high stakes i guess or something.

moral of what i should have said in my head and on the boards is: to each their own. i hope i haven't offended anywone.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm terribly offended since I play the $1's and $5's despite being able to CRUSH the $200's. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Degen
04-30-2005, 07:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
but all in all I settle around 15%. I must suck.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not taking on any more people right now, I've had far too many PM's, but maybe in a month or two, I'd be willing to take you on /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Andre

Apathy
04-30-2005, 07:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not taking on any more people right now, I've had far too many PM's, but maybe in a month or two, I'd be willing to take you on /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Andre

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow I'm shocked, you spammed this thread and got 50 PMs, at least I don't have to worry about people getting good advice.

Maulik
04-30-2005, 07:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

briliant.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is wrong.

not so brilliant.

Yugoslav

[/ QUOTE ]

i just decided to say briliant at the end of every post. its very British and I like that. that said, I won't let your poking at my other posts, deter me from doing so.

raptor517
04-30-2005, 07:28 PM
bwhahahahaahaha. god thats funny. holla

Maulik
04-30-2005, 07:31 PM
i left out something at the end of the other post.

briliant.

Degen
04-30-2005, 07:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
you spammed this thread

[/ QUOTE ]

The thread was started by a guy looking to be coached.

Andre

microbet
04-30-2005, 07:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

briliant.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is wrong.

not so brilliant.

Yugoslav

[/ QUOTE ]

i just decided to say briliant at the end of every post. its very British and I like that. that said, I won't let your poking at my other posts, deter me from doing so.

Brilliant.

[/ QUOTE ]

You forgot that one.

TheUsher
04-30-2005, 08:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Andre

[/ QUOTE ]

This sounds like a challenge coming on. I wanna see either a high-stakes HU battle or something else that's good. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

The Yugoslavian
04-30-2005, 08:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Good.....I like it too. It's a heckuvalot better than just signing your screen name at the bottom of your email...;).

Yugoslav

briliant
04-30-2005, 08:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Good.....I like it too. It's a heckuvalot better than just signing your screen name at the bottom of your email...;).

Yugoslav

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree.

briliant

Degen
04-30-2005, 08:29 PM
haha not from me...i'm not in it for the ego or the respect or the braggin rights....i just want the money, eight tables at a time.

Andre

Blarg
04-30-2005, 08:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm curious how many people have either coached or been coached in SNG play? And I mean directly, not the obvious 'coaching' that takes place on the forums here. How do these arrangements come about and how do they usually work? I've often thought I could make a significant jump in my play quality if I could just get someone to concentrate on my game for a couple hours and yell at me for all the stupid stuff I do.

[/ QUOTE ]

Let's turn this into something like one of those rivalries between Kung Fu schools. Different masters each train a team of students, who call them Sifu and microwave their pizzas, and their teams face off in a series of tournaments. The sifu whose students win gets to be called the Jade Emperor, while the sifu whose students come in last is acknowledged to have shamed his ancestors, and therefore renounces his name and wanders off into the wilderness -- say, the OOT forum for a week -- swearing he will nevermore call himself Wong again.

Apathy
04-30-2005, 08:43 PM
I wonder who went through the time of creating this gimmick account and the mis-spelled the SN. I hope that was part of the joke, or maybe forumbot had had a few too many green monsters.

Maulik
04-30-2005, 08:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I wonder who went through the time of creating this gimmick account and the mis-spelled the SN. I hope that was part of the joke, or maybe forumbot had had a few too many green monsters.

[/ QUOTE ]

you're the first person to call me out on spelling it incorectly. finally! good work.

BRILLANT.

Maulik
04-30-2005, 08:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Let's turn this into something like one of those rivalries between Kung Fu schools. Different masters each train a team of students, who call them Sifu and microwave their pizzas, and their teams face off in a series of tournaments. The sifu whose students win gets to be called the Jade Emperor, while the sifu whose students come in last is acknowledged to have shamed his ancestors, and therefore renounces his name and wanders off into the wilderness -- say, the OOT forum for a week -- swearing he will nevermore call himself Wong again.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is a great idea, unfortunately I feel like no one is going to take this seriously.

TheUsher
04-30-2005, 08:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you're the first person to call me out on spelling it incorectly. finally! good work.

BRILLANT.

[/ QUOTE ]

Check the spelling again.

Freudian
04-30-2005, 09:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Most people here probably feel more pride about being a great player than a great teacher.

Maulik
04-30-2005, 09:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

BRILLANT.

[/ QUOTE ]

Check the spelling again.

[/ QUOTE ]

typo, eek.

BRILLIANT

Blarg
04-30-2005, 09:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Most people here probably feel more pride about being a great player than a great teacher.

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably, since this is a player's forum, not a forum for poker university professors. Pride in general doesn't seem to be in terribly short supply among poker players, though.

It would actually be a fun and interesting community challenge for both team members and team leaders, even if nobody was forced to commit hara-kiri or spend the rest of their days as a wandering monk perfecting the Tao if they lost.

Voltron87
04-30-2005, 09:38 PM
yeah this got me thinking. Take a group of 200 people, sort them into two groups controlled for IQ, test scores, age, et cetera, and have a poker pro teacher teach each class, kind of lecture style. So there are two classes (equal) each being taught and after a month of teaching they go play, and after another month their results are compared and whoever's group does best wins.

your post about the kung fu challenge made me laugh, funny stuff.

Blarg
04-30-2005, 10:07 PM
I was thinking like three teams of five or something, but anything would be funner than nothing, and get the competitive juices flowing.

Schneids and other habitues of the short-handed forum have held a bunch of teams-based heads-up tourneys among 2+2'ers and always seemed to get a huge, huge kick out of it. Some kind of SNG version of the same thing would be fun.

Maulik
04-30-2005, 10:21 PM
daliman, can you coach me!

/images/graemlins/cool.gif

brilliant

hummusx
04-30-2005, 10:34 PM
I just want to pipe in and say that I'm proud I finally started a thread that's 8 pages long.

Blarg
04-30-2005, 10:45 PM
Heheh yeah.

Seriously though, I would love to see some face-offs between some of our better players. That would wind up costing them money, though.