PDA

View Full Version : Best Band Tourney (Elite 8)

tbach24
04-29-2005, 09:30 AM
last week (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=2226690&page=&view=&s b=5&o=)

contentless
04-29-2005, 09:38 AM
Not fair. Radiohead gets taken out by the Beatles.

By the way...

Didn't we agree to do this thing without the 60s because of the...ahem...inherent advantage?

Edit: Older bands > Newer bands

tbach24
04-29-2005, 09:41 AM
All the 1 seeds made it through, so I gave them a top spot and then randomly matched up the bottom one's. I don't recall any agreement against the 60's, but it's probably good that they're in to provide competition for LedZep

tbach24
04-29-2005, 10:15 AM
anyone else have a tough decision between nirvana and pink floyd? i think that nirvana had better music, but didn't do enough to make them better so i voted floyd

Pocket Trips
04-29-2005, 10:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
anyone else have a tough decision between nirvana and pink floyd? i think that nirvana had better music, but didn't do enough to make them better so i voted floyd

[/ QUOTE ]

The only tough call of the 4 I hated having to choose just one but went with floyd for the same reason

contentless
04-29-2005, 10:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
anyone else have a tough decision between nirvana and pink floyd?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope.

[ QUOTE ]
nirvana...didn't do enough

[/ QUOTE ]

Understatement of the year.

swede123
04-29-2005, 10:44 AM
Final prediction: Beatles will beat out Zep by a less than 20% margin.

Swede

tbach24
04-29-2005, 10:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
anyone else have a tough decision between nirvana and pink floyd?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How many CDs did they have? I think I know of 2, but couldn't name either. I have like 5 CDs of PF in my collection and am aware of much more.

HesseJam
04-29-2005, 10:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]

By the way...

Didn't we agree to do this thing without the 60s because of the...ahem...inherent advantage?

[/ QUOTE ]

60s, 70s > 80s and 90s in music.
more innovative
better lyrics
higher complexity, ie takes more time you "get" it but then it leaves you with a deeper impression.

istewart
04-29-2005, 10:55 AM
I'm a pretty big Nirvana fan, but Pink Floyd was an easy choice for me.

Sucks that Radiohead ran into the Beatles.

tbach24
04-29-2005, 10:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

To be honest, I couldn't name 1 Radiohead song. What songs did they have?

istewart
04-29-2005, 10:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF?

DOWNLOAD OK COMPUTER NOW.

DougOzzzz
04-29-2005, 11:04 AM
Well I wouldn't call Radiohead the best band of all time, but they're my favorite band of any of those listed here (followed by Pink Floyd, Led Zep, Beatles). I gave them a pity vote just so the final tally wouldn't be too embarrassing.

contentless
04-29-2005, 11:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure that you've at least heard of Creep. Maybe Paranoid Android? And if you've seen Romeo and Juliet, they do the Exit Music.

contentless
04-29-2005, 11:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How many CDs did they have? I think I know of 2, but couldn't name either. I have like 5 CDs of PF in my collection and am aware of much more.

[/ QUOTE ]

You misunderstood me. Nirvana has done nearly nothing...they don't even approach enough.

tbach24
04-29-2005, 11:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You misunderstood me. Nirvana has done nearly nothing...they don't even approach enough.

[/ QUOTE ]

haha, me = st00pid /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Arsene Lupin III
04-29-2005, 02:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't listen to them for about 5 years. Like a lot of music, it's hard to get into a lot of their stuff at first. You just have to find something that clicks. OK computer has a diverse enough set of songs that you should be able to find a few tracks that you love.

-adam

tbach24
04-29-2005, 05:48 PM
looks like its over, but i'll bump this anyways to let more people have a crack at it

jaybee_70
04-29-2005, 05:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Nirvana has done nearly nothing...

[/ QUOTE ]

since we're into hypebole now, your statememt has to be the greatest understatement ever. Nirvana almost singlehandedly destroyed 80's butt rock. That alone should earn them a bye into the finals. That, and Pink Floyd sucks.

Joe

Phoenix1010
04-29-2005, 06:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
That, and Pink Floyd sucks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Everyone is entitled to an opinion. Yours is just wrong, however.

GrekeHaus
04-29-2005, 06:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

By the way...

[/ QUOTE ]

more innovative
better lyrics
higher complexity, ie takes more time you "get" it but then it leaves you with a deeper impression.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. Just look at Tool for instance. Great lyrics, innovative, and complex. Maybe you've just been listening to the wrong 80's and 90's music. Not everything that comes out these days is as lame as Green Day.

mason55
04-29-2005, 07:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Bleach, Nevermind, and In Utero were the main three. MTv unplugged could count. I also count Incesticide, even thought it's technically a comp.

Still not even close to Pink Floyd.

contentless
04-29-2005, 11:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Nirvana has done nearly nothing...

[/ QUOTE ]

since we're into hypebole now, your statememt has to be the greatest understatement ever. Nirvana almost singlehandedly destroyed 80's butt rock. That alone should earn them a bye into the finals. That, and Pink Floyd sucks.

Joe

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's my opinion. Nirvana did about the same amount for music as Britney Spears did. In Nirvana's wake, there spawned an inordinate number of crappy grunge bands. In Britney Spears' wake, there spawned an inordinate number of crappy female bubblegum pop acts. Nirvana had totally overrated album and an even more overrated catalogue, overrated by depressed Gen X-ers forsaken by 80s yuppies. Britney Spears sucks. Just because Nirvana wrote their own music means nothing.

Nirvana is probably the most overrated band of all time. Zero originality, zero longevity, zero freaking talent. It's a common misconception among people who like Nirvana that they have better musical taste than even teeny-boppers. Just because they had a 'great video' on MTV means nothing. Can anyone even explain why Nirvana was good?

JaBlue
04-29-2005, 11:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

By the way...

[/ QUOTE ]

more innovative
better lyrics

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. Just look at Tool for instance. Great lyrics, innovative, and complex. Maybe you've just been listening to the wrong 80's and 90's music. Not everything that comes out these days is as lame as Green Day.

[/ QUOTE ]

Green Day > Tool.

istewart
04-29-2005, 11:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Zero originality

[/ QUOTE ]

This is where you're wrong.

contentless
04-29-2005, 11:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Zero originality

[/ QUOTE ]

This is where you're wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, that's lame. You have herpes.

See I can make up stuff without backing it up too!

istewart
04-29-2005, 11:20 PM
How am I supposed to back it up? Would you like me to give you a mathematical theorem proving Nirvana was an original band? You compared Nirvana to Britney Spears, and thus, I think arguing about you on this would be futile.

contentless
04-29-2005, 11:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
How am I supposed to back it up? Would you like me to give you a mathematical theorem proving Nirvana was an original band? You compared Nirvana to Britney Spears, and thus, I think arguing about you on this would be futile.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, perhaps you could tell me why Nirvana was original. There's obviously something that makes you think so.

GrekeHaus
04-29-2005, 11:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

By the way...

[/ QUOTE ]

more innovative
better lyrics

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Green Day > Tool.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know how anybody who's ever listened to both of these bands can say this.

istewart
04-29-2005, 11:39 PM
Tool is better, but saying Green Day is lame makes you gay IMHO.

GrekeHaus
04-29-2005, 11:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Tool is better, but saying Green Day is lame makes you gay IMHO.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not so much that they're lame, it's more that they produce unoriginal, uninspired, cookie-cutter punk rock. I can enjoy their music in small doses, but they certainly don't embody anything that's great about 90's music.

JaBlue
04-29-2005, 11:50 PM
They were a big part of the evolution of the punk scene in the early 90s along with bands like operation ivy and rancid. I agree their recent stuff (ever since what's that album called... warning) has really sucked. However, if you ever saw them live you would know why Green Day > Tool.

deacsoft
04-30-2005, 01:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How do they possibly get paired against one another until the finals?

dr. klopek
04-30-2005, 04:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
zero longevity

[/ QUOTE ]
Seems like the kind of thing you wouldn't have to say about someone who stopped making music 11 years ago after making 3 albums.

GrekeHaus
04-30-2005, 05:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
They were a big part of the evolution of the punk scene in the early 90s along with bands like operation ivy and rancid. I agree their recent stuff (ever since what's that album called... warning) has really sucked. However, if you ever saw them live you would know why Green Day > Tool.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't doubt Green Day is a very good live band. Most punk is far better live than prerecorded. However, being a good live band won't make up for all the many ways that they're inferior to Tool.

tbach24
04-30-2005, 10:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How do they possibly get paired against one another until the finals?

[/ QUOTE ]

I let all the #1 seeds have top rows, then randomly selected the lower seeds to matchup. Anyways, Rolling Stones are the best lower seed. Not even close either, especially considering I don't really know who Radiohead are and don't have the means to find out (i.e kazaa, etc.)

deacsoft
04-30-2005, 02:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't really know who Radiohead are and don't have the means to find out (i.e kazaa, etc.)

[/ QUOTE ]

The best thing to come out of the UK since the Beatles.
http://www.slsknet.org/

You're welcome. /images/graemlins/smile.gif