PDA

View Full Version : Poker starting age?.

Baulucky
04-29-2005, 08:15 AM
I have a 3 yr. old daughter. I plan to teach her to play, so that, if the online games stay this active or grow, she will be a multi-millionaire by the time she hits her 18th birthday. All her earnings will go into a separate trust account.

She will play 3 hours per day as an extra curricular activity, along with other activities.

What's a good age to start?.

Non_Comformist
04-29-2005, 08:17 AM
None of those.

iluzion
04-29-2005, 08:20 AM
I say none-of-the-above because you really should not be forcing a minor to gamble. Gambling is bad for so many people because they can't handle it, if she wants to learn, make sure to teach her right, if not, let her do whatever she wants.

Baulucky
04-29-2005, 08:25 AM
I apreciate your input. FWIW, I think mastering gambling and managing risk is one of the biggest edges one can give to one's child. Take it from someone that learned to do it far too late in life.

Dariel86
04-29-2005, 08:27 AM
Yeah, your kids should be able to choose whatever hobbies they want. It's their life, not yours! But if she wants to get into gambling ( sounds amusing), then learn her how it's done the right way.

Non_Comformist
04-29-2005, 08:29 AM
You would be better off teaching her about investing. Poker is still just a game and has many pitfalls for somone at a young age. If she is good and takes to the game you run a real risk of it taking away from school.

Baulucky
04-29-2005, 08:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
you run a real risk of it taking away from school.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wish I will be so lucky...

Non_Comformist
04-29-2005, 08:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
you run a real risk of it taking away from school.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wish I will be so lucky...

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't understand?

mmbt0ne
04-29-2005, 08:35 AM
Right. Your daughter has about a 0.0000362% chance of being a multi-millionaire by 18 because of poker. Why not just make her contribute her allowance to your hedge fund instead?

Baulucky
04-29-2005, 08:37 AM
IMHO, school and university are, mostly, useless. Except to create a "system drone". This is a very against the grain opinion, from someone that graduated with honors in record time, and learned little of value.

Social and people skills, math and general knowledge, are the only pluses I see in attending school/university/etc.

The rest, it's better to hire a drone than to waste time learning.

The most successful people I know have little to no formal training. Maybe it's an anomaly.

Baulucky
04-29-2005, 08:38 AM
The hedge fund is closed to new investors.

mmbt0ne
04-29-2005, 08:42 AM
/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Subfallen
04-29-2005, 08:42 AM
nh mmb

Baulucky
04-29-2005, 08:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
nh mmb

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I usually say to whatever suckout fish sitting at my table...

I guess stupidity is also a right guaranteed in the constitution of the world.

mmbt0ne
04-29-2005, 08:53 AM
Demostrated especially well by whoever would trade you an Aeron for a 2001fp.

btw, you should control your emotions better against the fish.

Baulucky
04-29-2005, 08:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Demostrated especially well by whoever would trade you an Aeron for a 2001fp.

[/ QUOTE ]

That one offer is still open.

Non_Comformist
04-29-2005, 09:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
IMHO, school and university are, mostly, useless. Except to create a "system drone". This is a very against the grain opinion, from someone that graduated with honors in record time, and learned little of value.

Social and people skills, math and general knowledge, are the only pluses I see in attending school/university/etc.

The rest, it's better to hire a drone than to waste time learning.

The most successful people I know have little to no formal training. Maybe it's an anomaly.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is an anomaly. Having a good education will give her options. Doctors, Lawyers, Accountants, etc, do not get hired off the street. Regardless of how smart they seem.

Your view of education troubles me.

aron
04-29-2005, 09:24 AM
Are you going to force her to play poker and that way turn her into your money making machine?

To have a plan for a 3-year old to spend 3 hours a day in training sounds a bit absurd.

IMHO
-aron

Non_Comformist
04-29-2005, 09:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]

To have a plan for a 3-year old to spend 3 hours a day in training sounds a bit absurd.

-aron

[/ QUOTE ]

I missed that part. That is ridiculous, I don't even play that much.

lorinda
04-29-2005, 09:36 AM
One of my friends has been divorced from his wife since their daughter was born, but he still sees her (the daughter) once a week.

A few years ago, when she was five, they had to go together to a parents' evening at school, child in tow.
The teacher asked the child if her father had taught her anything, and she said "Daddy taught me how to count"
His ex-wife was very pleased at this, as was the teacher, and they asked the girl to count.

"One, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight, nine, ten, jack, queen, king" was the reply.

That one actually happened, although I only have his word for it, if you knew this guy, you'd know it was true /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Lori

tylerdurden
04-29-2005, 09:37 AM
She's already too old, give it up.

snowbank
04-29-2005, 09:45 AM
Having a good education will give her options

Having a good education will give her options that will allow her to be average.

If you want to be very successful, in my opinion school is probably not the way to go. I'm in agreement with the original poster there. If you want to make sure you have a 22 year safety net, then school is fine. If I could do it over I doubt I would go to school, unless it was just a party school to have fun, because I learned very little in school that will actually help me become successful.

Non_Comformist
04-29-2005, 10:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Having a good education will give her options

Having a good education will give her options that will allow her to be average.

If you want to be very successful, in my opinion school is probably not the way to go. I'm in agreement with the original poster there. If you want to make sure you have a 22 year safety net, then school is fine. If I could do it over I doubt I would go to school, unless it was just a party school to have fun, because I learned very little in school that will actually help me become successful.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes how silly of me clearly it is better to have no advanced education than to have one. I forgot all of the things that having a degree and learning prevents one from doing.

Baulucky
04-29-2005, 10:07 AM
That's only part of the plan.

My intentions for my daughter is for her to be independently wealthy by her 18th birthday, managing a multimillion dollar private trading fund, and/or with a career in diplomacy for an European nation (this JOB is optional). Poker will be hopefully only a passtime for her by then.

My parents intentions for me were to have a career and get a job. While, I believe thay had the best intentions at heart and succeeded with their plans, those were poor choices. I still love them for what they did.

The Polgar sisters (chess) were started in gaming, by their father at the age of 4, and that was before the internet was even a possibility.

I intend to stay ahead of the curve. Poker may not be the best vehicle in a few years anyway. I consider poker, just a means to an end. It's even boring.

lorinda
04-29-2005, 10:08 AM
Yes how silly of me clearly it is better to have no advanced education than to have one. I forgot all of the things that having a degree and learning prevents one from doing.

It's a closer call than you might think.

You sacrifice a large percentage of your life doing it, so it's a far more individual choice than a clearly better one.

These days you can pretty much learn anything you want to either online or from books, and if you have no desire to work for other people (rendering the piece of paper that says you're clever useless), then there really isn't anything to be gained from further education.

I'm not saying this approach is right for many people, but it is far from as obvious as you make out.

Lori

I Play 2 Ski
04-29-2005, 10:08 AM
FWIW my kid is 4 and she is very in watching when I play. I haven't started teaching her poker per say, but we have been using a deck of cards to learn simple addition. We play Slapjack and other silly games.

I don't care if she plays poker or what not, but the main thing I want to teach her is to evaluate her decisions and make sure she chooses the +EV ones. Poker forces you to really think about decisions and future decisions and how their outcomes will affect you. Chess is similar, I plan to teach her both.

The school systems really don't help develop these decision making skills. They focus on memorizing information and conformity.

Your kid is three, what ever you decide to do, make sure she has a big fat smile on her face when your doing it. Thats all that really matters.

Non_Comformist
04-29-2005, 10:11 AM
Also please ignore the following Nation wide data (http://www.bls.gov/emp/emptab7.htm) in favor or your and the OP's anecdotal evidence. College may not be for everyone and there are exceptions but when planning for a child's future it is retarded to think she/he would be better off with a good education.

mc1
04-29-2005, 10:13 AM
Personally i feel my UK Computer science degree was a waste of £10000 and 4 years of my life.

I wish I had left school at 18 with my 3 A levels (good grades) and taken life from there.

Non_Comformist
04-29-2005, 10:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]

It's a closer call than you might think.

You sacrifice a large percentage of your life doing it, so it's a far more individual choice than a clearly better one.

These days you can pretty much learn anything you want to either online or from books, and if you have no desire to work for other people (rendering the piece of paper that says you're clever useless), then there really isn't anything to be gained from further education.

I'm not saying this approach is right for many people, but it is far from as obvious as you make out.

Lori

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually I disagree it is pretty obvious when talking about a random person. We are not talking about someone who has already shown an interest or ability to be self employed but rather a random kid who would be playing poker at the detriment of school. IMO this is not at all close.

lorinda
04-29-2005, 10:14 AM
That data proves nothing other than clever people earn more money than non-clever people.

It doesn't prove that someone who could have done a degree but chose not to would earn any more or less than the person of identical intelligence who chose to do it.

Lori

Non_Comformist
04-29-2005, 10:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]

My intentions for my daughter is for her to be independently wealthy by her 18th birthday, managing a multimillion dollar private trading fund, and/or with a career in diplomacy for an European nation (this JOB is optional). Poker will be hopefully only a passtime for her by then.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh my bad then man. I thought we were dealing in reality.

lorinda
04-29-2005, 10:15 AM
Actually I disagree it is pretty obvious when talking about a random person. We are not talking about someone who has already shown an interest or ability to be self employed but rather a random kid who would be playing poker at the detriment of school. IMO this is not at all close.

Ok, I can agree on that.

Lori

I Play 2 Ski
04-29-2005, 10:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Personally i feel my UK Computer science degree was a waste of £10000 and 4 years of my life.

I wish I had left school at 18 with my 3 A levels (good grades) and taken life from there.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dropped out of my CS degree program after the first year and decided to take a stab at getting into the work force w/o my degree. Best decision I have ever made, now I am just working on getting out...:)

Baulucky
04-29-2005, 10:29 AM
Oh my bad then man. I thought we were dealing in reality.

What part is not real for you?.

Any IQ 90+ monkey with proper instruction can make $75K a year playing poker in the current environment. She's way smarter than that. I believe she can make $1M or more by her 18th birthday.

The fund: She'll just hopefully take over from mine, if successfull, in 15 more years.

The career in diplomacy goes thru a degree in languages or management, and it's up to her whether she likes it or not. It's unlikely that she will have any big positions at this early age though.

FWIW and IMO, the graduating ages from college are going to get lower and lower in the coming years. You'll see 17 yr. old engineer, lawyers, etc. sooner than you think.

mmbt0ne
04-29-2005, 10:36 AM
There is absolutely no reason to believe that 17 year olds will suddenly be able to argue law on par with someone who went through the educational system as currently set up (Dutch Boyd not withstanding). I tend to agree with some parts of the assertion that, for a very few select people, typical schooling is not helpful, but a 17 year old lawyer is out of the question IMO.

k000k
04-29-2005, 11:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
"One, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight, nine, ten, jack, queen, king" was the reply.

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha, and the teacher said "no, that's ACE, two, three......"

Reminds me of "The Happiest Day of My Life" by Lisa Simpson. "The happiest day of my life was three Sundays ago. I was sitting on my daddy's knee when the Saints, who were 4½-point favorites, but only up by three, kicked a meaningless field goal at the last second to cover the spread."

Ok, seriously, I have a 5yo daughter who loves to play poker, NLHE.. We play for M&M's, pretzls, poker chips, and change. Good way to teach about 5 pennies to a nickel, 2 nickels to a dime, etc btw.. She's actually pretty good, she knows the hand ranks, she throws fake tells, bluffs, etc.. She can't shuffle chips worth a damn tho, but she tries.. She's not good at counting outs, but she does know when she has a flush draw she has a good chance of hitting it. She doesn't recognize when she has a gutshot. I'm not pushing her to be a pro or anything, we just play cuz it's fun..

Inthacup
04-29-2005, 11:08 AM
social services should come and take your kid until you get your head out of your ass and start thinking about her needs rather than how you wish you had it

Baulucky
04-29-2005, 11:24 AM
Thanks for the unwarranted attack. I sincerely hope you get twice as much as what you desire upon me and my daughter.

Art Vandelay
04-29-2005, 11:37 AM
If you have lots of kids, they can each get a $12,000 bonus at Party to get started on their way to millionaredom.

k000k
04-29-2005, 11:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If you have lots of kids, they can each get a $12,000 bonus at Party to get started on their way to millionaredom.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yaaa, the perfect replacement for ghetto moms having more kids to get bigger welfare checks!

Rah
04-29-2005, 11:46 AM
Teach her right away, and put the dog on bonuswhoring 0.5/1.

SackUp
04-29-2005, 12:24 PM
This is one of the more entertaining threads I have read in a long time.

Having a multimillonaire daughter by age 18 would be awesome! Sign me up too!!

Only problem is getting her there. I see many flaws in your overall argument, but I will just point out a few glaring ones for arguments sake b/c I actually have to hit the library (yes I'm in law school so that should already tell you my view on things).

First on education. I will start by saying that I wholeheartedly agree that education is not everything and great experience will often take the cake over schooling. With that said, education may not be the end all, but it is a means to getting that experience. Living in the US it is almost impossible to start out if you don't have at least one degree. It's not that people can't learn w/o going to college, it's just that they typically aren't given the opportunity to.

Our system is set up so that employers higher inviduals based on academic prowess first and foremost. This is how you get your first jobs. There are definitely exceptions to this, but as a general rule you need some form of higher education for the opportunity to be hired. This is defintely true for basically any white collar job out there. There is just a fundamental problem with getting any initial experience w/o these degrees.

I think one of the biggest mistakes of kids in college is waiting till they are out of college till they start getting practical experience. If more kids would start interships while in college they would have such an edge. Experience + education = success. Either one alone makes for an uphill battle.

I'm also a big fan of education for a variety of other reasons including social interaction, learning about a variety of skills and tools and really just learning how to think. Someone said something about just being taught to memorize. Some of this is true but memorization is a very helpful tool. It is hard to apply information that you can't remember and it is not efficient to look things up ever 4 seconds.

I'll leave it with one final thought. I agree that you can definitely be successful w/o a higher education, I just think it is a much harder road given how competitive things are right now. It is just so hard to break into fields w/o a degree. The exceptions would come from being an entrepeneur or working in daddy's business. So unless you have lots of money to support your daughter in any venture or she can just start under you (ie poker) then I wouldn't pass the buck on education so quickly. I would instead encourage her to take school seriously and to always gain as much practical experience as she can along the way.

This was a long rant, but fun. As to the original question I have no problem with teacher your kid cards at an early age. It is very good for thinking skills and for general math skills. I don't know about gambling with real money too early as that can lead to big time bad habits in the long term, but the games themselves are great.

And Bualucky, hopefully one of the million get rich quick schemes you post on here each week will finally hit and then you can support your daughter in any venture she wants. But honestly another reason for education and outside experience is for learning how to think and how to be succesful. So if you are not a multimillionaire right now then why do you think you could teach your daughter to be? And if you are a multimillionaire then great. But then again you already said you had formal education right? And I know you aren't a multimillionaire as you scheme to much here /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Inthacup
04-29-2005, 12:26 PM
My parents intentions for me were to have a career and get a job. While, I believe thay had the best intentions at heart and succeeded with their plans, those were poor choices. I still love them for what they did.

You're doing the same thing as your parents, except on the other end of the spectrum. Ultimately, their desire was for you to be 'successful' as it fit in their definition. As a result, they gave priority to what they want for you and disregarded what you want for you. I'm not saying you should support her every whim. But you should place a priority on finding her interests/talents and supporting them.

She doesn't have to earn the money to be able to respect it and manage it well when she turns 18. She would be much better off if YOU played an extra 3 hours a day for her trust fund. You can teach her the concepts of gambling and managing risk without forcing her to give up much of her childhood playing poker.

Do you not see that you're overcorrecting for how you were raised, yet you're still guilty of the same problem?

My social services comments are based solely on the fact that you plan on making a 3 yr old play poker for 3 hours a day. You are a horrible father if you make a child do something like this, even if your intentions are 'good'.

Subfallen
04-29-2005, 12:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Any IQ 90+ monkey with proper instruction can make $75K a year playing poker in the current environment.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? I've worked extremely hard at this game, am by and large in the top 5% IQ-wise, and would hestitate to take an even-money bet that I could do $75k/yr. Then again, I'm also EASILY the most unlucky person I've ever met...

Baulucky
04-29-2005, 12:39 PM
Raise and fold more and call less. Play good cards only.

With those two alone you can make $75,000 multitabling party 3-6.

IronDragon1
04-29-2005, 12:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I apreciate your input. FWIW, I think mastering gambling and managing risk is one of the biggest edges one can give to one's child. Take it from someone that learned to do it far too late in life.

[/ QUOTE ]

This sounds a whole lot like a parent (despite certainly not consciously doing so) trying to live vicariously through their child.

That's ALWAYS a bad idea.

Phill S
04-29-2005, 03:36 PM
i think that you've seriously underestimated how illegal this is.

teahcng your minor daughter to play, especially at like 3-10 opens up a whole new level of legal and moral questions.

if found out, and it will be found out, lets face it, a 6 year old wouldnt pass up the oportunity to say she makes more than her friends father playing poker, then you will likely have your daughter taken into care of the state (im putting it more subtely that the other guy, but it will happen).

out of interest, what does her mother think of this? how about the grandparents. how far have you thought this through?

i think kids at 16 and 17 playing poker online with their parents knowledge is wrong. i cant believe your suggesting a preteen should play poker.

i do hope this is a joke. dont expect society to see what your suggesting as a positive thing for your daughter's development.

incidentally. i dont think there is anything wrong with teaching her chess and poker - i do see there being merit. IF she wants too learn that is (dont force her down any route, it doesnt work that way). but effectively having her work a 15 hour week at the party tables is just wrong.

-----

on the note of degrees. i left education at 18. tried working. walked into several brick walls trying to progress my career and now im 21 and in my first year's study. there are a lot of merits of having a degree. at the same time my father is self-employed, has no higher education and always put food on the table.

Phill

Tboner7
04-29-2005, 04:05 PM
Well, if you teach your kid to play that sounds OK; but not for real money. Too much distraction from school work. When I started playing, I would play all the time and would skip school work to do it. I had to force myself to take 3 days away from it to get over it. Now I only play a few hours a week. I doubt a child could give up all that money for school work.

Bremen
04-29-2005, 04:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Raise and fold more and call less. Play good cards only.

With those two alone you can make $75,000 multitabling party 3-6.

[/ QUOTE ]

Rotfl. I tried to think of some smart-ass comment to put in here, but I'll try to answer seriously just because I feel something needs to be said.

Even if I could make $75k playing Party 3/6 I wouldn't. Not because I have a great job, I make $10/hr working at a coffee bar. I would not do it because I'd be giving money a higher priority than my own well being. When I went to college I choose to study chemical engineering because it offered such high earning potential from just a 4yr degree. I was miserable. While I was certainly capable of doing the work (most people don't last a semester) I could not force myself to do it just for money. I got out of bed each morning and would wonder if I was better off dead. No ammount of material wealth is worth that. Now I'm not going to say my job is great, but I at least think my life is worth living. I plan to attend part time classes again, not for the money, I am doing it in order to study something I find interesting (at present I'm going to do philosophy). Maybe it will find a better job for me, even if I was 100% certain I wouldn't get a better job out of it I'd still do it.

If you're wondering what this has to do with a topic you started about your daughter remember this; the Polgar sisters may have started learning chess at an early age, but they were never forced to.

apd138
04-29-2005, 04:30 PM
I don't know if this has been said but where in all of this is there time for your child to enjoy being a child? You can't lump responsibilities and stress on a child like you can an adult and expect them to adjust properly.

Wetdog
04-29-2005, 05:20 PM
I think the whole premise is a god-awful donk idea. But, the application of math problems to a fun activity gives girls who are traditionally deficient in math a better motivation to try. Things like making a math problem out of odds of hitting a flush with 3 of a suit, 4 of a suit, OESD, gutshot straights etc. Those are PRACTICAL math problems.

blaze666
04-29-2005, 05:45 PM
i think it'd be nice to completly smother a baby with poker. so instead of lullabys, you read it skalnsky's books, and have royal flush wallpaper, so it can slowplay before it can walk. that'd be very good i would like to try that one day...

stinkypete
04-29-2005, 06:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

clearly this guy is trolling. (either that, or he's the worst parent in the history of parenting, but i'll give him the benefit of the doubt)

KingOtter
04-29-2005, 11:04 PM
While I agree with some of your assertions about the modern education system (it is designed to create employees, not employers... but that doesn't mean the education is at fault, just the system that has been created to insert it into the brains of our youth... education is still important), I also agree with those that say you should encourage your daughter to follow her own interests, instead of yours.

The reason I can read poker sites, poker books, and play poker on a daily basis is because it is a rabid interest of mine. But don't put that honus upon your daughter.

Let her do what she wants to do, you play poker for 18 years and become a multi-millionaire and send her to schools that don't have 'zero tolerance' policies but rather encourage independent thought.

KO

Mr Mojo Risin
04-30-2005, 01:03 AM
What are you people talking about?! Education? Ability? None of these matter. Not a single one of us got our first job based on merit. As a matter of fact, I would say a very small percent of Americans get their first job based on merit. Can you all say nepotism?

Kevin K.
04-30-2005, 01:19 AM
You're obviously trolling, lol. The number of serious responses you've gotten is hilarious. Take into account cognitive development and the first 4 answers are out of the question. I'm not gonna bother with whether or not 15 is too early.

Reef
04-30-2005, 04:24 AM
start too early or push too hard and any kid would learn to hate it with a passion

KingDan
04-30-2005, 07:18 AM
My grandfather taught my dad poker when he was 4. He isn't a winning player, his 'experience' overtakes the right play. He has even read a few books, but does not really follow them. He believes in luck.. " That is only true for the long run. Sometimes you need something other than numbers.I felt a heart was coming."

I don't think poker teaching your child poker at all until they are at least 12 years old is worthwhile, and possibly detrimental. They might pickup bad habits if they learn too early.

KaneKungFu123
04-30-2005, 07:29 AM
When I was 6 I was chess champion of my elementry/middle school, and retained the title until I was 13 and we moved away. I also competed in mental math contests around this same time.

There is no reason to believe I wouldnt have been successful at poker from an early age.

[ QUOTE ]
My grandfather taught my dad poker when he was 4. He isn't a winning player, his 'experience' overtakes the right play. He has even read a few books, but does not really follow them. He believes in luck.. " That is only true for the long run. Sometimes you need something other than numbers.I felt a heart was coming."

I don't think poker teaching your child poker at all until they are at least 12 years old is worthwhile, and possibly detrimental. They might pickup bad habits if they learn too early.

[/ QUOTE ]

JohnnyHumongous
04-30-2005, 02:43 PM
Based on your posts throughout this thread I would be quite surprised if by age 16 or so your daughter is not either:

a) Completely effed up on drugs;
b) A raging slut who's seen more cock ends than weekends and is planning her upcoming entry into the porno industry;
c) Out of your house, living with a 26 year old derelict boyfriend who beats her when she comes home from her midnight-8am shift cleaning offices.

Whether the outcome is as extreme as one of these 3 or another outcome altogether, I think it is safe to say that she will with absolute certainty be spiteful and incredibly resentful of you.

Voltron87
04-30-2005, 02:44 PM
my kid is going to learn to read from super system, and learn to count by stacking chips.

Baulucky
04-30-2005, 02:50 PM
I sincerely hope you die soon of a painful disease.

Your Mom
04-30-2005, 05:30 PM
I think plotting your daughter's life is an awful idea, just as your parents plotting your life is an awful idea. Most likely, if you go through with this, your daughter will hate and resent you by the time she is 18.

gmanko
04-30-2005, 05:54 PM
18, of course

pecto
04-30-2005, 11:16 PM
Maybe she dosen't like poker. She's a child. Let her have fun in her childhood.

PS: She can make over a million by the time she gets to 18

arizona
04-30-2005, 11:53 PM
Why is everyone under the impression that baulucky is going to chain his daughter to the computer and force her to play no matter what? I don't know baulucky at all, but I just assumed that if his daughter hated it, she would be able to quit. I taught my friends' kids (ages 8 and 10) to play poker and they are both better than 95% of adults. They don't play for serious money, though.
I think the main problem with teaching a kid to play poker is that they just don't have the discipline or maturity to be sucessful at it. Counting outs and playing tight can be taught to a monkey, but no 12 or 15 year old is going to be able to handle a 100 hour losing streak that costs them upwards of $1000.
The parents of the kids I taught may let them start playing for low stakes when they are 15 or 16, but only for a few hours per week. I think 3 hours a day is way too much.

crovax4444
05-01-2005, 02:07 AM
well, let me ask this question. How many of you guys are 16? 18? 20?...12? How many of you are college students? High school? Middle school? Tell me, do you remember your attention spans at that age? You can't do this guys

SmileyEH
05-01-2005, 02:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Any IQ 90+ monkey with proper instruction can make $75K a year playing poker in the current environment.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know if the rest of this is a joke, but that statement is completely false.

-SmileyEH

toxtox
05-01-2005, 02:19 AM
is this person serious????? u want ur kid to play poker for 3 hours a day, possibly as early as the age of 6? MY GOD THAT IS SO RIDICULOUS.

i just wish u were kidding, people like u should not be parents.

Your Mom
05-01-2005, 04:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Why is everyone under the impression that baulucky is going to chain his daughter to the computer and force her to play no matter what?

[/ QUOTE ]

He said she has to play 3 hours a day. That would be the first clue.

Ralf
05-02-2005, 12:08 AM
This post amuses me.

ChrisCo
05-02-2005, 01:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
well, let me ask this question. How many of you guys are 16? 18? 20?...12? How many of you are college students? High school? Middle school? Tell me, do you remember your attention spans at that age? You can't do this guys

[/ QUOTE ]

There are many young or even underage posters on these forums. Granted most teenagers at that age are going to be complete fuckups that can't keep there emotions out of the game. Just be careful when a young player comes along that has the mind AND the discipline for poker, that person will clean up. I think it is not the worst thing in the world to start teaching your daughter about cards, not specifically texas holdem, in the coming years.

When she gets around 15 years old see how she matures, and make your decision then. If you start teaching your daughter while she is still young(>18) she will be able to process and learn cards much faster than if she were an adult. A child's brain absorbs much more information than an adults brain. If you start young you will have a huge advantage because of the learning curve that most have to overcome. Everything will be easier to pick up and will have a better understanding of the game then most.

I started playing when I was 16 and somewhat regret it and somewhat don't. It has given me tremendous oppurtunities by making amounts of money a 16 year old should never be able to make. In some ways it has helped me be a "kid" more because I have thew freedom to do what I want because of the money that I have made. But in turn it has made me pretty lazy and haz changed my ideals some. Its hard to go into class and listen to the teacher when you already know that you are making more money than him by just playing cards. I was able to keep my head straight through high school and I am now ready to head to one of the better colleges in my state.

If I had to go back again I think I would still play the game, I would just make sure that it does not become to big apart of my life.

BeantownCaller
05-02-2005, 01:28 AM
If she gets too good and gets out of the kiddy pool too early, make sure the matador doesn't bust her when she's trying to make your bail money, or else she'll obsess over it for her entire life and lose her bankroll trying to cheat the matador with a thrown together signalling team.

I probably could have beat Party Poker 2-4 limit at 9 or 10 years old but judging from this riduclous post I received better genes than you passed on to your daughter.