PDA

View Full Version : working on your short hand game

aba20
04-29-2005, 05:50 AM
I have only played 10 handed poker and I am looking at getting into playing some shorthanded. I was wondering if anyone had any advice of how I could practice. Obviously playing is the best practice, but what else could I do to learn. Are there any starting hand chart for begginners anywhere? Are there any good books out there on short hand play? I am playing at 2-4 and 3-6 limits right now but will probably move up to 5-10 shortly. This is the range that I want to beable to play shorthand in.

Chris Dow
04-29-2005, 06:05 AM
No offense intended, but players who are still thinking in terms of hand charts will not be very successful short handed players. As far as books you can take a lot of the advice in SSHE or HEPFAP and you just assume that the first 4 people have folded. That is a very rough start. The best way to learn is to head over to the HUSH forum and start playing on party's lowest 6 max table.

aba20
04-29-2005, 06:24 AM
That is what I have been doing preflop always assuming I am in middle or late position and going from there. I was just wondering if there was a better way to go about it. Maybe a more precise method.

Bluffoon
04-29-2005, 06:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
That is what I have been doing preflop always assuming I am in middle or late position and going from there. I was just wondering if there was a better way to go about it. Maybe a more precise method.

[/ QUOTE ]

Start browsing the HUSH forum. You will not find better games than party 1/2 6max but you can experiment with the changes to your game and accustom yourself to shorthanded play for smaller stakes at other site. Pokerstars for example has .5/1 6max.

Fiddler
04-29-2005, 07:10 AM
There have been a couple of charts floating around in the HUSH forum, this one for instance. (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=1897985&page=&view=&s b=5&o=) Might be a good while you get your feet wet and it will also give you an idea of what any 20%-25% VP$IP 15% PFR players you run into are coming in with.

Isura
04-29-2005, 11:37 AM
You could also seek short-handed tables at your current limit, and practice there for a while. Most full ring players at 2/4 and 3/6 don't know how to adjust to short-handed play, so this be easier than playing a regular 3/6 6 max at Stars for example.

rmarotti
04-29-2005, 03:28 PM
Read Miller's article in this month's magazine.