PDA

View Full Version : Showing a losing hand.

maddo
04-29-2005, 04:36 AM
Hi.

A quick question about showing your hand.

I raised PF in MP and had a caller in EP. It was checked down to the river. EP showed a pair which beat me. I mucked my hand without showing. Someone commented that as I had raised PF then I had to show my (losing) hand.

Is this correct?

Cheers.

Yeknom58
04-29-2005, 04:40 AM
In no way do you have to show your hand.

And bet the flop.

maddo
04-29-2005, 05:12 AM
Well I actually simplified the details for the purpose of asking the question. I think there were about 4 callers, some behind and some in front. I really didn't fancy betting out with no hand and no draw, except overcards, vs several callers. Looking at the other hands that were shown at the end, then I think a continuation bet may have got through, but the pot was fairly big, so my bet would have to be a fair size. But, I guess I was too weak to make that move. Anyway I was happy to see all 5 cards for no further cost.

ravballz
04-29-2005, 06:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
And bet the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed, nh

MarcT
04-29-2005, 09:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
In no way do you have to show your hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

how often does this one come up? In NO way are you required to show your hand. The _ONLY_ way that you are required is if someone suspects you of colluding. This is the only reason the rule is there, and if you talk to any knowledgeable floor person, this is the explanation you should get.

You should always push to this interpretation of the rule. Most people will give that this is why the rule exists.

canis582
04-29-2005, 09:41 AM
What if I get called on the river and I show my king which gives me the best hand...do I have to show the other card too?

Jeffage
04-29-2005, 10:09 AM
Yes, to receive any portion of the pot after being called, you must show both cards face up on the felt. First, this is to prevent someone taking advantage of a bad deck (say you have K /images/graemlins/heart.gifK /images/graemlins/heart.gif) and secondly...he paid to see your hand. That means both cards.

Jeff

Jeffage
04-29-2005, 10:10 AM
If it's checked down on the river, most places say earliest position should show first. But if he showed first and you can't beat it, feel free to muck. Some places say last aggressive action shows first. But again...if someone turns over their cards before you voluntarily and you can't beat it...feel free to muck your cards.

Jeff

mrkilla
04-29-2005, 10:35 AM
you must show 2 cards to win
In other words you must show that suited rag duece you played with

RacersEdge
04-29-2005, 10:56 AM
I think officially the person who is required to show first in a SD is the one who was the last to show strength. So if everything was checked after the flop, your raise would be that strength.

But if the other guy showed already, you can muck.

Jeffage
04-29-2005, 11:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think officially the person who is required to show first in a SD is the one who was the last to show strength. So if everything was checked after the flop, your raise would be that strength.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not true in most cardrooms and is not a standard poker rule. You're obviously right that he can muck once the other person shows.

Jeff

canis582
04-29-2005, 11:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
you must show 2 cards to win
In other words you must show that suited rag duece you played with

[/ QUOTE ]

Id rather show the table that I raise garbage than show the table that I only play premiums.

smoore
04-29-2005, 03:12 PM
With my demeanor, I would have laughed in the complainer's face.