PDA

View Full Version : Check raise in SNG, how often do you use it ?

tjh
04-29-2005, 02:44 AM
I most play the 11's at Ultimate Bet but I have added a few 22's as bankroll allows. So far the tiny tiny sample of 22's has them paying for themselves. Thanks guys, could not have done it without you.

Here is the question.

Today I made about 6 succesful check raises. Some were bluffs some were semi-bluffs. Basically if I felt that they were buying an orphaned pot I put in a competing bid for that pot. These moves were succesful.

I tried this move for the following reasons.

I felt like these guys were playing how I would. If it is checked to me in late position I bet even if the flopped missed me.

They were making minibets at these pots so it felt like they were weak.

I had reads on them that they were aggressive.

Check raising is the only way to give you psuedo-position for a moment. You get to act after them once.

Note that this is at UB so the stacks are deeper and post flop play actually matters.

What is your opinion on check-raising ?

Is it a disaster waiting to happen?
Is it a worthwhile move at the 20's , 30's , 40's or 50's.

Obviously for a check raise to work we need to assume that the player is somewhat aware /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Note that until tonight I had never check raised in a SNG and doubt that I would try it at the 10's. Are the 20's different or am I just more nervous/attentive there ?

zambonidrivr
04-29-2005, 10:47 AM
i use this move all the time at $10's & 20's. It's really improved my ITM & ROI stats as before I was only making a little. The key for me is picking my spots, where the texture of the flop is favorable. I don't want people getting free cards with a flush draw showing or possible straight. Typically you get some fish pushing their stack, only to leave the table early. good luck

Che
04-29-2005, 10:56 AM
tjh-

[ QUOTE ]
What is your opinion on check-raising ?

Is it a disaster waiting to happen?
Is it a worthwhile move at the 20's , 30's , 40's or 50's.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gigabet uses the check-raise quite effectively in the step 5's I have played against him (but that's back when he was gigabet, not swiftsteal). I learned quite a bit watching his use of that play.

As for the 50's and under, I don't know. I haven't played any of those in quite some time.

Wherever you play, it's player dependent. Some players think check-raise means monster, some think it means bluff. You've got to figure out who is who to make it effective.

Most importantly, though, *never* check-raising cannot be good. Adding that play to your arsenal will definitely be an improvement if you don't overuse it.

Later,
Che

tjh
04-29-2005, 02:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Most importantly, though, *never* check-raising cannot be good. Adding that play to your arsenal will definitely be an improvement if you don't overuse it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well said Che,

Thanks

--
tjh