PDA

View Full Version : Tough Turn decision.

King_J
11-16-2002, 12:18 PM
Playing 3-6 fixed online. The had table had turned from a full ring down to 3 players on 5 mins. Both my opponents seemed to be big fishes. I had the button and raised with:
As10s

Both Sb and BB called (SB had only put in 1/3 of BB)
Flop came: 10d10c9d
Check, Check I bet...both call.
Turn: 9s

Check, Check, I bet... SB calls and BB raises. Should I just call here and try to get SB in too or reraise? I was 95% sure they both were fishes but BB just have to have a boat?!

I decided to call and as expected SB came in too.
River: Kc
Making board: 10d10c9d 9s Kc

SB checks BB bets this time I raised Sb called two cold and BB called...

Results and thoughts below.

King_J
11-16-2002, 12:20 PM
My hand scooped the pot and I really liked the way I played this hand (for the first time) =))

But, do you guys consider this play the very best?

All comments are appreciated!

Ikke
11-16-2002, 06:32 PM

Dynasty
11-16-2002, 07:14 PM
If you think you should let the small blind draw dead cheaply on the turn, then why aren't you letting him call for 1 bet on the river? The whole point of just calling on the turn was to squeeze the extra bet out of the small blind. But, then you change your approach and don't try to squeeze another bet out of him on the river.

King_J
11-16-2002, 09:17 PM
The reason that I raised on the river was because I knew for 100% that the BB was atleast gonna call with a nine.

Dynasty
11-17-2002, 03:16 AM
Won't most opponents do that on the turn too?

2ndGoat
11-17-2002, 04:48 AM
Gotta agree with Dynasty*
If they're fish enough to coldcall the river raise, I think they're fish enough to call the reraise on the turn. But you never know.

2ndGoat

*who is most certainly not female

Ikke
11-17-2002, 06:56 AM
There are differences between turn and river here IMO.

On the turn a fishy SB can very well come along with a flushdraw, an ace or a nine, maybe even QJ (not realizing the chance he's drawing dead) for one bet, but probably even he can get away from that hands for two bets (except the nines maybe).

But on the river those draws will not call anymore, so chances have gone down that you can keep him in. Furthermore the BB kept showing aggression so you either have him tied or he has nines IMO. He will call anyway. I think the river raise is an excellent opportunity to squeeze extra bets out of the SB if he in fact holds nines or QJ for the straight (remember he's a big fish).

Regards

King_J
11-17-2002, 08:34 AM
Lets say That SB held JQ for str8draw not realizing he was drawing dead. But If I had raised the turn wouldnt he have folded then?
I think that even a big fish will fold for two additional bets.

Lets say SB folded and BB had a nine. Would he reraise?
You never know, but probably not. He would call and then check and call on river. So a raise on turn should mean 2 bets on turn +1 on river = 3 big bets (if hes got a nine)
Lets say he was on a bluff ´he might even fold on my turn raise instead of keep betting...

If he has got a nine and I just call his raise he will bet again on river and then I can raise. That should also mean 3 big bets from him. Afterall, its bigger chance that the BB is holding a nine than a ten.

Because of that I think its better to raise on river. SB could have anything. So I rather take a risk that SB will fold on river and that I would lose 1 bet from him. My reward if he calls will be 2 bets and 1 from the BB (if he doesnt have a 10)
If BB does have a 10 I will only lose 1/2 bet by only calling.