PDA

View Full Version : VEGAS

xxJEDIxx
04-28-2005, 11:36 PM
I should have put this thread on thist forum instaed of the Holdem forum but oh well, any help would be appreciated.
Well, In the fall I will moving to Las Vegas to play the game we all love. I am predominately a limit cash game player and have been grinding a simple menial wage and live within my means. I feel its time for the Big show! for 4 years now. I play $1-$2 to $15 - $30 Holdem, pot-lim Omaha high and NL(usually $500 buy-in). I will taking my car,clothes,poker literature and my bankroll of about $20,000. I have not played any major tournaments so Ill stick to the smaller sattelites etc when I get there until I hopefully can build up to the next level.

I know my craft well but I thought Id better get some good info and pointers to help me on my journey. So, Please answre the following questions the best you can & any pointers would be appreciated.

What are the best places to play in Vegas at the limits I play where I can avoid the pros and "rocks" and hit the tourists for there money?

What advice would you give(any of you who live in Vegas) to someone moving there?

Thanx

NLSoldier
04-28-2005, 11:43 PM
I assume you mean bankroll of 20k as well as a few yrs of living expenses?

SithLord69
04-29-2005, 12:11 AM
Please listen to me, Jedi, before this thread is filled up with 75 smart-ass replies aimed at psychologically deflating you. This forum is NOT the place to get that question answered. Honest to God, man, do not read one more reply after mine and check that blinking mail symbol next to your Welcome xxJedixx area.

NLSoldier
04-29-2005, 12:23 AM
Nice post, lol. I didn't even look at this guys post count. I figured he should have known better.

SithLord69
04-29-2005, 12:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Nice post, lol. I didn't even look at this guys post count. I figured he should have known better.

[/ QUOTE ]I hate to be Mr.DoGooder but we both know damn well were this is gonna go. People can rag on me all day and I could not care less but I hate to see a new guy get off to that kind of start.

I tried to do what he is setting out to do in Tunica a couple of years ago. I could have been saved a great deal of emotional pain if I knew about multi-tabling, rakeback, the real truth about downswings ect...

How about you PM him with some advice, Soldier? You know your stuff. I'm sure you could help him a helluva lot better than me.

NLSoldier
04-29-2005, 12:38 AM
Deal.

touchfaith
04-29-2005, 12:39 AM
may the farce be with you

SithLord69
04-29-2005, 12:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
may the farce be with you

[/ QUOTE ]You never did tell me your UFO story. You simply replied, "yes" and I must say-Those three letters had a very eerie ring to them.

NLSoldier
04-29-2005, 12:43 AM
I just noticed that he said hes been playing proffesionally for 4 years now. I would think by now he has learned everything he needs to know about bankroll management, and if he was going to go broke it probably would have happened by now.

SithLord69
04-29-2005, 12:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Deal.

[/ QUOTE ]You rock, man. Unfortunately, I am better at instucting people what NOT to do rather than what TO do. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Reef
04-29-2005, 12:48 AM
WRONG FORUM

xxJEDIxx
04-29-2005, 12:55 AM
wow, I have only been on the internet for a year now and have mainly participated on the pokerpages forum. It does not have near the number of people nor the element of the "trolling" to agravate someone...lol

I was just interested in some good advice. Sith, I appreciate your concern and I will email you back when I can put some more thought into my words. Maybe we could learn much from each other.

As far as everyone else, please feel free to share what you think, though I will tell you I am a determined person who has been playing for much longer than the 4 years Ive played for my light bill. This is the life for me. The ups the downs and the in betweens. I am fairly conservative and have a good bankroll system that has worked for years at a lower limits and rates of course.

This is the reason Im going to that big City in the dessert, To play at a higher level/rate$$$$$
If you have any good advice even things like "stay away from the hookers" then Shoooot......

SithLord69
04-29-2005, 01:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I just noticed that he said hes been playing proffesionally for 4 years now. I would think by now he has learned everything he needs to know about bankroll management, and if he was going to go broke it probably would have happened by now.

[/ QUOTE ]Yeah, normally I would have just blown it off and chalked him up as another probable skeleton in the desert but it does looks as though the foundation is in place. Nevertheless, it would be nice to see someone with potential take the path of least resistance. Plus, it would appear as though he is a Star Wars geek like me so why not help a brother out? /images/graemlins/cool.gif

SithLord69
04-29-2005, 01:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
wow, I have only been on the internet for a year now and have mainly participated on the pokerpages forum. It does not have near the number of people nor the element of the "trolling" to agravate someone...lol

I was just interested in some good advice. Sith, I appreciate your concern and I will email you back when I can put some more thought into my words. Maybe we could learn much from each other.

As far as everyone else, please feel free to share what you think, though I will tell you I am a determined person who has been playing for much longer than the 4 years Ive played for my light bill. This is the life for me. The ups the downs and the in betweens. I am fairly conservative and have a good bankroll system that has worked for years at a lower limits and rates of course.

This is the reason Im going to that big City in the dessert, To play at a higher level/rate$$$$$
If you have any good advice even things like "stay away from the hookers" then Shoooot......

[/ QUOTE ]Well. In that case make sure to check out the Pad Kee Mow at Lotus of Siam.

TStoneMBD
04-29-2005, 01:30 AM
i just had to share this with you guys. i messaged jedi telling him about my experienced this past year with poker, telling him that i started on a short bankroll and am doing well now. i have no idea where he got "tunica" from.

im sorry if ive offended jedi for posting this.

From JEDI:

hello Tstone,
Hey my friend, I appreciate your words of concern and advice.I am 35 and have been not only playing poker but gambling since I was 8 yrs old. I grew up at Northfeild racetrack where my uncle was a trainer and I knew all the bookies, numbers players, you name it. When my parents needed a baby sitter they dropped me off at the pool hall..(TRUE) So I know a lot about the gambling world and all of its issues. I mainly am a poker player now. I would like to get to know you better, then I could share my real testimony with you that would have you in tears...lol Those who know me say I should write a book, they say it would sell in Hollywood...lol I am now a converted christian who practices zazen form of Zen meditation with hobbies like Aikido,studying philosphy and of course playing poker. I own over 50+ poker books, have printed stacks of poker articles that reach the ceiling..lol I am not married, my main focus in all I do is sharing my faith with others. I am a "poor mans" christian Barry Greenstien..lol I want to be God's ambasador to the poker world. I realize that some would say I am a hypocrite by gambling and saying i'm a christian but I have come to peace with it and God and I know my mission. We could discuss many things, I am interested in hearing your stories and evaluation of your tunica play and why you failed..Please email me at xxjedixx@aol.com with your address, I would like to write you and share some thoughts on poker, philosophy,faith and other subjects. As you can see I am a deep thinker and I value friendship greatly. I sense in you a man with much to offer, you will discover your destiny and I know it will be a glorious one.
Thank you,
xxJEDIxx

SithLord69
04-29-2005, 02:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i just had to share this with you guys. i messaged jedi telling him about my experienced this past year with poker, telling him that i started on a short bankroll and am doing well now. i have no idea where he got "tunica" from.

im sorry if ive offended jedi for posting this.

From JEDI:

hello Tstone,
Hey my friend, I appreciate your words of concern and advice.I am 35 and have been not only playing poker but gambling since I was 8 yrs old. I grew up at Northfeild racetrack where my uncle was a trainer and I knew all the bookies, numbers players, you name it. When my parents needed a baby sitter they dropped me off at the pool hall..(TRUE) So I know a lot about the gambling world and all of its issues. I mainly am a poker player now. I would like to get to know you better, then I could share my real testimony with you that would have you in tears...lol Those who know me say I should write a book, they say it would sell in Hollywood...lol I am now a converted christian who practices zazen form of Zen meditation with hobbies like Aikido,studying philosphy and of course playing poker. I own over 50+ poker books, have printed stacks of poker articles that reach the ceiling..lol I am not married, my main focus in all I do is sharing my faith with others. I am a "poor mans" christian Barry Greenstien..lol I want to be God's ambasador to the poker world. I realize that some would say I am a hypocrite by gambling and saying i'm a christian but I have come to peace with it and God and I know my mission. We could discuss many things, I am interested in hearing your stories and evaluation of your tunica play and why you failed..Please email me at xxjedixx@aol.com with your address, I would like to write you and share some thoughts on poker, philosophy,faith and other subjects. As you can see I am a deep thinker and I value friendship greatly. I sense in you a man with much to offer, you will discover your destiny and I know it will be a glorious one.
Thank you,
xxJEDIxx

[/ QUOTE ]Actually, that was his PM to me (regarding Tunica). I am definately a total moran who needs all the help he can get, though, so if you have a minute to PM me I would really like to hear your story.

xxJEDIxx
04-29-2005, 06:26 AM
Hello gentlemen, I just received a tip on my other forum. The poster told me check out allvegaspoker.com , he said a lot of good info for any poker player going to Vegas. I appreciate all you advice , any more good tips will be pondered and thought through carefully.