PDA

View Full Version : HS softball coach suspended for winning 55-0

DukeSucks
04-28-2005, 09:00 PM
...and only played two innings.

LINK (http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/sports/11489573.htm)

Central Cabarrus coach suspended for 2 games

School punishes Sherrill after latest lopsided win: 55-0 vs. W. Charlotte

LANGSTON WERTZ JR.

Staff Writer

Central Cabarrus softball coach Monte Sherrill will miss two games this week, serving a suspension imposed by the school resulting from a 55-0 win against West Charlotte on April 15.

Cabarrus County athletics director Scott Barringer confirmed Sherrill's suspension Monday when contacted by the Observer. Asked why Sherrill was being suspended, Barringer said the issue was a personnel matter.

"That's all I am going to tell you sir," Barringer said. Central Cabarrus Principal Chris Lowder said he could not comment because it was a personnel matter.

Sources close to the situation told the Observer that Sherrill had been warned by school officials about lopsided scores last year and that he will miss a home game today with West Mecklenburg and one Friday at Independence.

Sherrill, who is 441-43 with five state titles in 15 years, did not return phone calls made by the Observer on Monday. In two years at Central Cabarrus, he is 49-1.

In the West Charlotte game, Central Cabarrus scored 30 in the first inning and 25 in the second, getting 43 hits.

West Charlotte athletics director Tony Guylitto said Sherrill's team was still playing aggressively despite the wide lead. N.C. High School Athletic Association rules call for a game to be stopped if a team is leading by 10 or more runs after five complete innings.

After West Charlotte batted in the second inning, Guylitto said he told game officials to end the game.

"It's one of the worst shows of sportsmanship I've seen in my 20 years of coaching and being an athletics director," Guylitto said. "This is the best softball team we've had since I've been here in nine years and we're trying to teach them the fundamentals of the game and keep their heads up and keep smiles on their faces. I looked at them on the field with their heads down and I told the officials to stop it. A game like that can kill a team."

Eurotrash
04-28-2005, 09:05 PM
this sucks.

I can understand if the coach were encouraging aggressive baserunning by his team. However, if he just let them go to the plate and they kept getting hits (i.e. after the score was like 20-0, he stops his runners after advancing one base, regardless of how deep the ball is), there should be nothing wrong with it.

Do they expect him to instruct his team to go to the plate and strike out? That's ridiculous. That would make me feel even more embarrassed if I were the opposition.

Asufiji2004
04-28-2005, 09:05 PM
I can see what the other coach was saying, I mean 55-0 after 2 innings. There is absolutely no chance of them coming back I say just bunt it out and get it over with. BUT....i'm sure the suspended coach would like to play as much as possible for the sake of practice and in game AB's. Suspension is overkill IMO.

The Yugoslavian
04-28-2005, 09:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
That would make me feel even more embarrassed if I were the opposition.

[/ QUOTE ]

*nod*

I wish we had a bit more context to go on here. If the league doesn't like this, change the rule to 10 runs after 5 innings or 20 runs @ any time...(or whatever)

Yugoslav

Eurotrash
04-28-2005, 09:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I wish we had a bit more context to go on here. If the league doesn't like this, change the rule to 10 runs after 5 innings or 20 runs @ any time...(or whatever)

Yugoslav

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, I like this idea. They need to add an additional mercy rule like you're saying about 20 or more runs earlier in the ball game..

the opposing coach, unless I'm misinterpreting, said it was *his* best team in a long time and they still got blown out, so he doesn't want them getting discouraged - that's ridiculous

It's competition; if they get blown out, oh well, it happens. suck it up, there's no crying in softball, and try to catch the ball a bit better next time. or stop serving up meatballs for the other girls to jack out of the park.

slickpoppa
Yeah, what are they supposed to do, strike out on purpose? If the other team sucked that much they shouldn't be playing.

skoal2k4
what kind of message does that send to the players? Play good and you'll get in trouble? Quite possibly the dumbest thing I've ever seen. Would they rather have a coach that sucks and they have a losing record?

holeplug
04-28-2005, 09:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"This is the best softball team we've had since I've been here in nine years and we're trying to teach them the fundamentals of the game and keep their heads up and keep smiles on their faces."

[/ QUOTE ]

Anyone else chuckle at this? If thats their best team in 9 years well...

Sponger15SB
04-28-2005, 09:15 PM
Yeah, you can't really ask the girls to just start bunting and stuff.

This is much different than the idiot coach who had the girls do a full court press in basketball for most of the game, and they went on to win like 105-3 or something insane.

Eurotrash
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, what are they supposed to do, strike out on purpose? If the other team sucked that much they shouldn't be playing.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is the sentiment I was trying to explain in my posts above. This isn't tee-ball where the kids play and have a good time and at the end the score ends up "coincidentally!" tied in every ball game so no kid has to lose. It's varsity high school competition... you should be able to field a team that doesnt get torn up so badly.

of course, my comments are all on the assumption that the coach wasn't purposely being overly aggressive with his team once it got clearly out of reach.

Sponger15SB
[ QUOTE ]

Anyone else chuckle at this? If thats their best team in 9 years well...

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah if they had been up against last years team they would have lost like 63-0

Glenn
04-28-2005, 09:17 PM
How do you give up 55 runs in 2 innings? I think my little league team could play the yankees and not give up 55 runs in 2 innings. They should have to play out the whole game so they have to live with the embarassment of being the worst team at anything, ever.

Eurotrash
04-28-2005, 09:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
How do you give up 55 runs in 2 innings?

[/ QUOTE ]

I was totally wondering this myself. the opposing coach said he went to the umpire and said "just end it.."

after a team pushes FIFTY FIVE people across the plate, that seriously has to be pushing about 2+ hours for the two innings including all the other warmup time and whatnot, pitching changes, etc. if he didn't tell the umpire to end the game, it probably would have been called for darkness eventually (depending on what time of day it started, I suppose)

tech
04-28-2005, 09:24 PM
Seriously, how bad do you have to be to get behind 55-0 in the 2nd inning? Even in A or B level slow-pitch softball people don't score 55 after 2.

tech
04-28-2005, 09:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
How do you give up 55 runs in 2 innings? I think my little league team could play the yankees and not give up 55 runs in 2 innings. They should have to play out the whole game so they have to live with the embarassment of being the worst team at anything, ever.

[/ QUOTE ]

My thoughts exactly. BTW, your little league team might even beat the Yankess. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

JohnnyHumongous
04-28-2005, 09:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Yugoslav

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, I like this idea. They need to add an additional mercy rule like you're saying about 20 or more runs earlier in the ball game..

the opposing coach, unless I'm misinterpreting, said it was *his* best team in a long time and they still got blown out, so he doesn't want them getting discouraged - that's ridiculous

It's competition; if they get blown out, oh well, it happens. suck it up, there's no crying in softball, and try to catch the ball a bit better next time. or stop serving up meatballs for the other girls to jack out of the park.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you understand the motivation behind amateur sports??? This is an ignorant attitude.

Sponger15SB
04-28-2005, 09:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Seriously, how bad do you have to be to get behind 55-0 in the 2nd inning? Even in A or B level slow-pitch softball people don't score 55 after 2.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah you'd think after like 30 batters in one innning they're get at least like 1 strike out and 1 tag out and one just straight pop up.

If me and my friends were in the field against a MLB team and we had a somewhat decent pitcher we could hold them to 54 runs.

JohnnyHumongous
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was totally wondering this myself. the opposing coach said he went to the umpire and said "just end it.."

after a team pushes FIFTY FIVE people across the plate, that seriously has to be pushing about 2+ hours for the two innings including all the other warmup time and whatnot, pitching changes, etc. if he didn't tell the umpire to end the game, it probably would have been called for darkness eventually (depending on what time of day it started, I suppose)

[/ QUOTE ]

Look at you, you're all over this thread spouting this eurotrash.

bones
Wonder what Herm Edwards response would be to this?

Eurotrash
04-28-2005, 09:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Do you understand the motivation behind amateur sports??? This is an ignorant attitude.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would expect that you're going to run a big "sportsmanship" talk on me now.

I was hoping we could avoid an argument over that, but honestly man, what would you have the winning coach do?

granted, I exaggerated my opinion and it seems overly cold, but such is teh nature of OOT. I just think his suspension over this is uncalled for

Eurotrash
04-28-2005, 09:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Look at you, you're all over this thread spouting this eurotrash.

[/ QUOTE ]

har.

I am, because this entire situation is sad. I was never advocating that the coach SHOULD have run the score up to 55-0. I really wish it hadn't gotten there, because quite honestly, it must be moritfying and demoralizing for the team as you said. Why isn't it the job of the other coach to end the ball game at 25-0, when it was obvious where it was heading?

JohnnyHumongous
04-28-2005, 09:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was hoping we could avoid an argument over that, but honestly man, what would you have the winning coach do?

granted, I exaggerated my opinion and it seems overly cold, but such is teh nature of OOT. I just think his suspension over this is uncalled for

[/ QUOTE ]

It's high school girls, not professionals. These leagues are run at relatively high expense for the sake of friendly competition. There are no prizes at stake and the schools do not choose who they play, they just play the schools in their district.

"Sources close to the situation told the Observer that Sherrill had been warned by school officials about lopsided scores last year and that he will miss a home game today with West Mecklenburg and one Friday at Independence."

Sounds like it is possible to run up scores excessively, and that this coach has been guilty of this more than once in the past.

masse75
04-28-2005, 09:39 PM
Folks, let's keep some perspective. This is softball. Who gives a [censored]? The players are heifers.

MEbenhoe
04-28-2005, 09:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's high school girls, not professionals. These leagues are run at relatively high expense for the sake of friendly competition. There are no prizes at stake and the schools do not choose who they play, they just play the schools in their district.

[/ QUOTE ]

You never played competitive sports did you? Nothing at stake? Playing just for friendly competition? Riiiiiiight. That's laughable.

Eurotrash
04-28-2005, 09:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]

"Sources close to the situation told the Observer that Sherrill had been warned by school officials about lopsided scores last year and that he will miss a home game today with West Mecklenburg and one Friday at Independence."

Sounds like it is possible to run up scores excessively, and that this coach has been guilty of this more than once in the past.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, well then I'll just accept your amateur sportsmanship should be preserved argument so we don't have to belabor this. there seem to be others that argee with me though, perhaps you should question their morals too.

Duke
04-28-2005, 09:46 PM
This would be funnier if the 20 run second inning were due to 23 walks against non-swinging batters.

~D

youtalkfunny
04-29-2005, 12:30 AM
Food for thought, since we're talking about mercy rules:

My 8-year-old's LL team remained unbeaten tonight, improving to 5-0. They played the second-place team, who came into the game with only 1 loss.

It was the most exciting 8-year-old game you ever saw, if you realized what was at stake. It took an extra-inning to decide.

It never would've went to extra innings, and my daughter's team wouldn't have won--except the other team saw a 7-run rally ended by the "7 runs per inning" rule. They left what would've been the game-winning run on base, with less than three outs, and it cost them the game.

Discuss.

Jeff W
04-29-2005, 12:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Haven't you seen the Bad News Bears? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Shajen
04-29-2005, 09:09 AM
weak.

He should have went for the kill. I'm talking 60-0. 55 is just weak.