PDA

View Full Version : steal situation

jt1
04-28-2005, 08:31 PM
pp 3/6

This is a no read situation. Opponent is brand new and only bought in for like 6 bb.

Folded to Hero in SB. Hero has 89o and raises. BB calls

5 4 9 rainbow

Hero bets. BB calls

Q

Hero bets. BB raises. Hero calls

A

check, bet, call

I only need to be up here 1 out of 8 times, right? So I should be up that much, right?

Harv72b
04-28-2005, 10:11 PM
You're probably not up 1 in 8 times; you have to learn to respect the turn raise. About the best you can hope for when he raises the turn is that it's a delayed raise with something like AK or AJ; even then, the river screws you.

When he bets the river after the A falls, that makes it a very easy fold. The only thing that might tempt me to call is that he bought in with so few chips--I see a lot of players buy in with 5-10 BBs and LAG it up for an orbit or two, until they either bust out or force a bunch of folds.

toss
04-28-2005, 10:17 PM
Folding the turn seems kinda weak. Is it really best to fold and wait for a better hand to take villain with?

Harv72b
04-28-2005, 10:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Folding the turn seems kinda weak. Is it really best to fold and wait for a better hand to take villain with?

[/ QUOTE ]

What you have to ask yourself is, on a pretty much drawless board, what hands is villian raising the turn with which don't beat 2nd pair/8 kicker? I'm not saying it's impossible that Hero has the best hand, but it seems unlikely enough that with this small pot it's not worth continuing.

And even if you do call the turn raise, when he bets the A river it becomes a pretty simple fold.

toss
04-28-2005, 10:25 PM
I see, thanks for explaining it to me. The board texture on the flop doesn't leave us with much.

mr pink
04-28-2005, 10:27 PM
anyone think bet/folding is better on this river than check/calling? i mean if you're gonna put in a bet, you might as well give yourself a shot at winning it. it could get a Queen to fold, and an Ace is a very reasonable card for your hand.

i dunno, i kinda agree with harv about folding the turn. i'm a puss in these situations though.

rmarotti
04-29-2005, 03:56 AM
I agree with Harv and I'm a complete LAG. Fold the turn and wait for a better spot.