PDA

View Full Version : Single table satellite stratagy?

The4Aces
04-28-2005, 08:21 PM
whats a good stratagy for single table satellites?

PokerFink
05-23-2005, 02:49 AM
Bumping this because I searched the topic and found a bunch of posts with no responses. Anyone have a good link?

Assume only first gets in.

Blarg
05-23-2005, 03:57 AM
Beats me really, but from what I remember, Ed Miller, in his new book, notes that a go for broke attitude can work really well -- play very hard for first, because nothing else is worth a penny. Second place might as well be tenth place, so if you have an edge, PUSH IT.

That's my memory, anyway.

Bigwig
05-23-2005, 04:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Beats me really, but from what I remember, Ed Miller, in his new book, notes that a go for broke attitude can work really well -- play very hard for first, because nothing else is worth a penny. Second place might as well be tenth place, so if you have an edge, PUSH IT.

That's my memory, anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, that's the correct strategy. Think of a one table satellite as much like a MTT. The payout schedule is top heavy, so chip accumulation is more important than survival.

Take the JJ thread on page 1 here all day. In a one table satellite, you'd be an idiot to limp with JJ UTG.

Another example would be AK facing a raise in the early levels. I'll often flat call in a STT. In a satellite, or multi, it's raising (hopefully pushing) time.

curtains
05-23-2005, 04:30 AM
I wouldn't thikn you are being an idiot for limping JJ just because its winner take all. Note I wouldn't normally limp it, but I don't think its outright bad just because of the prize structure.... actually I have to be honest I feel that intuitively I'd be more likely to limp (although still wouldnt most of the time), however hard to explain why..

Bigwig
05-23-2005, 04:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't thikn you are being an idiot for limping JJ just because its winner take all. Note I wouldn't normally limp it, but I don't think its outright bad just because of the prize structure.... actually I have to be honest I feel that intuitively I'd be more likely to limp (although still wouldnt most of the time), however hard to explain why..

[/ QUOTE ]

Now that I think about it, idiot is far too strong a word.

It's just that you certainly need to shift gears from survival mode to chip accumulation mode almost immediately. You can't be trying to win the tournament with 15% of the chips when 3 players remain. It's just too difficult.