PDA

View Full Version : apple monitors

pfkaok
04-28-2005, 08:17 PM
I'm planning on buying the dell 2405, but i've also been looking at the mac 23" and 30" monitors, and although more expensive i really like the way they look. do they ever offer coupons or online deals on these things, or are they pretty much just THAT expensive?

also, do they require any different connection, or special video card setup to run on a normal PC.. or just through a DVI output?

playersare
04-28-2005, 09:05 PM
Apple Computer is very strict on fixed prices for all its authorized retailers, so discounts and coupons are generally not available.

I haven't read a Mac magazine since college but they probably still have "grey market" dealers advertising in the back who carry older and used models which might be cheaper than what's in stores right now. But I've never tried buying from one of those companies.

dunno about the connector specs, check www.apple.com (http://www.apple.com) for their tech sheets.

pfkaok
04-28-2005, 09:12 PM
Well, i just found it for a little cheaper on the education store for students, but it says:

Requires ATI Radeon 9650 or NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Ultra DDL Card

They sell the NVIDIA one at apple, but i can't find the Radeon one anywhere. i wonder if its not out, or if the page has the wrong model number>?

KKrAAAzy88s
04-29-2005, 12:06 PM
I think those vid cards are required for the apple 30" display. I don't believe they are needed for the 23". apple just dropped their prices this week on their monitors too. but i think the dell is still cheaper. also there are a bunch of different inputs and memory card reader on there while the apple just has it's usb and dvi connection. they both use the same lcd panel as well from what i've read. check out hardforum.com for more info on the various types of lcds out there. i'm staring into an old apple 23" myself. this is at work, but i'm looking into getting one for home too.

MowrMowr
04-29-2005, 01:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think those vid cards are required for the apple 30" display. I don't believe they are needed for the 23".

[/ QUOTE ]

You are correct.

pfkaok
04-29-2005, 05:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think those vid cards are required for the apple 30" display.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, i just went into the Mac store today, and the guy said that he hadn't heard of the 9650 ATI that's listed on apple's website. he thought that it was the 9800 that worked with it, but is there any way to tell by the specs, or features of the video card if it will support the 30"? also, i have a PCIe slot in my mobo, so i don't know if these cards are for that, or AGP

When did they drop the price? I went to apple.com store just now, and it still has the 30" listed at $2999. thanks for the info though, i'm going to check out hardrorum.com and see what i can find.