PDA

View Full Version : Tubing: Does anyone else do this?

Dr. Strangelove
04-28-2005, 07:05 PM
During the summer, every few days a couple of my friends and I will grab some truck tire tubes and float down a river that I live near. The section we tube has minor white water, maybe some class 3. The section above where we tube has some world class water, so there are always kayakers around. I think tubing is pretty much my favorite summer activity, so I was wondering how widespread it is.

shant
04-28-2005, 07:06 PM
Since tubing in the LA river wouldn't be that great, I can't really say I've done it. But a friend who used to live here and moved to Austin sent me a pic of him and his friends tubing and it looked like fun. They even had coolers with beer tied to their tubes floating along with them.

Freakin
04-28-2005, 07:08 PM
I use inflatable rafts, usually... theres a great river in the seattle area for it. Bring a mesh bag to drag your beer in the water (or a floating cooler, which they make) and you're golden. About a 2 hour float.

Freakin

kerssens
04-28-2005, 07:11 PM
I did this a few times when I was growing up in the Cedar River in Renton, WA. One of my friends almost got stuck under a log. Another one drifted under a tree branch, he grabbed the branch and a bunch of leeches fell out.

maldini
04-28-2005, 07:21 PM
i live in austin. we do this a few times a year. its the best fun for the money possible. afterwards we stumble over to the all u can eat BBQ place which is BYOB. eat til we're in a coma, go home to change and go out and never make it out.

good times

Alobar
04-28-2005, 07:26 PM
Tubing is hella fun, basically you float down the river, stare at hot ass, and get shitfaced drunk. Its a good time. Its also a very very common activety in the summer here in Phoenix

Non_Comformist
04-28-2005, 07:27 PM
Oregonians love tubing.

Ray Zee
04-28-2005, 07:31 PM
take a mask and snorkle and float thru the holes. its amazing the life you see down there. i do it all summer long.

Asufiji2004
04-28-2005, 07:33 PM
Salt River in AZ is a blast. 4 hrs. of floating and drinking. Pissing yourself is awesome.

vulturesrow
04-28-2005, 08:00 PM
This is by far the best summer activity. Some of the most drunken moments of my life have been tubing. Its hard to beat. Ive done it in Florida, Virginia, and Tahoe. Good times.

girgy44
04-28-2005, 08:06 PM
Tubing is awesome, however you guys are forgetting the most important part, beer. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

jakethebake
04-28-2005, 10:29 PM
There's an awesome place for tubing in the Austin/San Marcos, TX area. It's called the Horseshoe. It's basically shaped like a horseshoe with the open end being about 100 yeards across. You float around the horseshoe and it takes around 3 hours. Then you just walk the 100 yards back to the beginning. Good times.

Dr. Strangelove
04-28-2005, 10:31 PM
This is funny, I've never done it with beer, because the river I tube makes for kind of an extreme sport. There are places you could die if you took the wrong line. Kayaker's have a name for tubers: hole bait. But I definitely think tubing is more fun than kayaking. I'll have to try tubing+beer.

Eurotrash
04-28-2005, 10:32 PM
this sounds like a lot of fun, but I've never actually done it.

edit: i do, however have a friend that is a fan of this. you might even consider her a veritable tube girl. (http://www.tubgirl.com)

jnalpak
04-28-2005, 11:25 PM
used to tube when i was like 14, it was tons of fun in upstate phonecia area in NY (esopus river i think) but now that im like 100 im sure beer would be a blast with good friends and some great rapids

NLSoldier
04-28-2005, 11:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Tubing is awesome, however you guys are forgetting the most important part, beer. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Beer is especially important when tubing behind a boat as opposed to down a river.