PDA

View Full Version : Abandonware

RunDownHouse
04-28-2005, 06:56 PM
I was just introduced to this today, and I'm blown away. I know what I'm going to be doing with my spare time for the next, oh, five years.

underdogs (http://www.the-underdogs.org)
Abandonia (http://www.abandonia.com)

Piz0wn0reD!!!!!!
04-28-2005, 07:17 PM
get XCOM 1 and 2.

Underdogs has freeware, abandon ware and "amature made" games as well as some you have to buy.

Freakin
04-28-2005, 07:21 PM
And look for Star Control II: Urquan Masters

Freakin

Jeff W
04-28-2005, 07:40 PM
You're trying to break me. I quit playing video games last year to make time for poker. I've been visiting underdogs for years and it is a great site.

Anyway, everyone should download Master of Orion. (http://www.abandonia.com/games/101/download/Master_of_Orion.htm)

vulturesrow
04-28-2005, 07:56 PM
do these games all work on Windows XP now? I have all the original discs for a lot of these games but I have not had much success with some of them.

Jeff W
04-28-2005, 08:01 PM
In the past, I have played MOO and other abandonware games on an XP box, but you may have to look up methods to get them running. There is a web page floating around that tells how to do this for MOO.

vulturesrow
04-28-2005, 08:17 PM
And yes you are all evil for posting these sites. I will probably download all the Infocom games...I never did beat Suspended on my Commodore, that game was wicked hard. Revenge is mine...

vulturesrow
04-29-2005, 11:10 AM
I think I downloaded over 50% of the games on this site last night. I also have 2 consecutive posts in this thread which makes me hella lame(which we all knew already).

astroglide
04-29-2005, 11:41 AM
princess maker 2 is an amazing game. it runs under dosbox.

RunDownHouse
04-29-2005, 11:55 AM
Don't feel bad. I got less than five hours of sleep because I wanted to beat Centurion "real quick" before I went to bed.

Bob Moss
04-30-2005, 04:17 AM
Anyone here play Faery Tale Adventure? I used to play it on an Amiga when I was a kid, and I downloaded it from this link above, but I can't get it to work too well. It ends up moving too fast and is unplayable. Any ideas?

Bob

Blarg
04-30-2005, 06:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
get XCOM 1 and 2.

Underdogs has freeware, abandon ware and "amature made" games as well as some you have to buy.

[/ QUOTE ]

XCOM 1 is one of the best PC games ever made.

I liked XCOM 2 okay, but 1 was definitely better.

gvibes
04-30-2005, 07:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
get XCOM 1 and 2.

[/ QUOTE ]

XCOM 1 is one of the best PC games ever made.

I liked XCOM 2 okay, but 1 was definitely better.

[/ QUOTE ]

Those fscking lobsterman pissed me off to no end.

Blarg
04-30-2005, 08:03 AM
Yeah me too! They were very aggravating.

But I really loved those guys in X-COM 1 who moved superfast and turned people into infected zombies. Even one of those guys was an utter disaster. And overall I thought the alien monsters and technology were much more interesting in XCOM 1.

It's so weird since that's a turn-based game, but the game actually made me jump in my seat countless times. The settings, things hiding in the dark, the transition from tension to monsters exploding out at you...heheh... really, really great stuff.

I wish they would redo that game with today's graphics. All these years later, and people still remember that game with huge affection.

gvibes
04-30-2005, 12:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah me too! They were very aggravating.

But I really loved those guys in X-COM 1 who moved superfast and turned people into infected zombies. Even one of those guys was an utter disaster. And overall I thought the alien monsters and technology were much more interesting in XCOM 1.

It's so weird since that's a turn-based game, but the game actually made me jump in my seat countless times. The settings, things hiding in the dark, the transition from tension to monsters exploding out at you...heheh... really, really great stuff.

I wish they would redo that game with today's graphics. All these years later, and people still remember that game with huge affection.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's ridiculous how that game can still be so good, even playing it at freaking 320x200 resolution.

Freakin
04-30-2005, 12:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
princess maker 2 is an amazing game. it runs under dosbox.

[/ QUOTE ]

omfg, I love that game. Downloading now. I like to make 'em beefy.

Freakin

vulturesrow
04-30-2005, 06:32 PM
Other must haves (IMO):

Wasteland
Neuromancer
Damn near any Infocom game
Master of Orion

Blarg
04-30-2005, 08:43 PM
I heard Master of Orion was great. That thing has always had a cult following.

whiskeytown
04-30-2005, 08:49 PM
Panzer General was an awesome game - but it's hard to get that stuff to run on a WINXP box - I keep a win98 around just for that stuff.

RB

astroglide
04-30-2005, 11:20 PM
i recall remakes of either sc2 or xcom, i think it was sc2