PDA

View Full Version : Bubble hand, heads up in the blinds against big stack

Phoenix1010
04-28-2005, 06:10 PM
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (4 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

BB (t3135)
UTG (t485)
Button (t3695)
Hero (t685)

Preflop: Hero is SB with K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
2 folds, Hero?

BB has been playing pretty tightly, so I feel like I have some fold equity, but he'll still call me with a fairly wide range of hands. Still, this is probably an easy fold with this hand, but it's a situation that seems to come up frequently, so my question is this: what is the worst hand you would need to push in this spot?

Phoenix1010
04-28-2005, 06:33 PM
I will start the bidding at AJs.

The Yugoslavian
04-28-2005, 06:40 PM
Completely off the cuff:

A8+
KJ+
66+

Btw, this is for a BB that is capable of folding here....meaning they look at their hand and if they don't really like it, they'll fold.

Yugoslav
PS I was thinking about this very situation (more or less) last night for a bit before I decided to give up poker forever and make use of the noose I keep up in the middle of my room.
PPS Obviously the noose broke....bah! It's rigged!!!

Phoenix1010
04-28-2005, 06:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Completely off the cuff:

A8+
KJ+
66+

Btw, this is for a BB that is capable of folding here....meaning they look at their hand and if they don't really like it, they'll fold.

Yugoslav
PS I was thinking about this very situation (more or less) last night for a bit before I decided to give up poker forever and make use of the noose I keep up in the middle of my room.
PPS Obviously the noose broke....bah! It's rigged!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Glad to hear it broke. what would the forum do without your mad haiku skillz?

ewing55
04-28-2005, 07:09 PM
I must be missing something. You start with t685 and post t100 for SB. If you fold you have t585 and the BB hits you in another 3 hands for another t200, that's assuming they don't go up before then.
I say you need the t300 in the blinds and it is a clear push. You only have 1 potential caller behind you. Do you really think you are going to get a better hand before you hit the BB again when you have little FE left. Especially when the next hand(s) will have additional potential callers.

Are you playing for 3rd or 1st? (Interesting question)

I'm just a rookie, please tell my if & why I'm wrong.

Unless you think you should just wait around for the the short-stack to be blinded out. If he doubles up, you're in trouble. He should push one of the next two hands.

I'm pushing A7s+, A9o+, KTo+, K9s, 22+, (QJs & JTs if I'm feeling lucky!)
BB should call with any 2, but I'd hope he didn't.

----------Jeff

liucipher
04-28-2005, 08:31 PM
I'm bumping this because I really don't understand bubble play.

Is the only reason people are recommending folding because of how short the small stack is? That is, if it were 4 handed and Hero is the short-stack w/ anywhere between 3X BB and 6X BB, it's time to push, no?

The Yugoslavian
04-28-2005, 09:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm bumping this because I really don't understand bubble play.

Is the only reason people are recommending folding because of how short the small stack is?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes...if you can just sneak into third without risking a showdown for all of your chips it's *very* +$EV.

However, your stack is short enough that I just want those chips....they're worth a certain amount of risk.

Yugoslav