PDA

View Full Version : computer programmers (x-post)

schwza
04-28-2005, 03:52 PM
hi all,

i'd like to work on a project to estimate a function that converts chipstack -> expected cash payouts, as described in this 2+2 magazine article (http://www.twoplustwo.com/magazine/current/schwab0505.html) . however, i don't know how to do the programming.

if you are interested in working on this with me, that'd be awesome. i'm in touch with an econ professor who may be interested in working on the math side. there is some nonzero chance we could get this published in a legitimate economics journal. pm me if you're interested.

RedManPlus
04-28-2005, 04:49 PM
Sklansky: chips in a tournament have decreasing marginal value

Negreanu: risk chips even with negative EV... to significantly improve strategic position

These 2 ideas are compatible...
And say more or less say the same thing.

Towards the end of a tournament...
Both chips and strategic position are very valuable.
But from the start of the tournament...
The value of chips has declined...
While the value of strategic position...
Has increased dramatically...
And overtaken the value of chips.

Top players understand this intuitively.

Whether this can be modeled..
Using a mathematical formula or matrix...
Is unclear to me.

Maybe I'll think about this for a few days.

Best of luck.

rm+

/images/graemlins/cool.gif /images/graemlins/cool.gif /images/graemlins/cool.gif

schwza
04-28-2005, 05:15 PM
i may not have been clear enough about this in my article, but "decreasing marginal value" refers to how the value of chips changes as you have more or fewer chips, not if you're earlier or later in the tourney.

kross
04-28-2005, 06:38 PM
That article has a link to a web page that does the calculations for you, just type in the numbers. Is this not what you want?

kross
04-28-2005, 08:33 PM
Never mind, I read the rest of the article, so I see what you're referring to now.