PDA

View Full Version : when internet dies

Meatmaw
04-28-2005, 03:31 PM
Just curious what you all (especially the 4-6 tablers) do when your internet dies on you. I have comcast and figure I need to think of a backup plan in case. Do you have friends that you call up when this happens, or people you run over to within the 20 minutes it takes to get destroyed sitting out?

jzpiano14
04-28-2005, 03:33 PM
Get good internet and you won't have to worry about it.

jacks321
04-28-2005, 03:34 PM
My response is usually to curse violently. But seriously, I've never had my internet go out for more than a few minutes but if it does, there's an Internet cafe a few doors down I can run to and attempt to salvage my tourneys. A lot of companies offer backup dialup, maybe see if you could get hooked up to that real quick if your cable dies?

eastbay
04-28-2005, 03:35 PM
Use the dialup they provide.

eastbay

Apathy
04-28-2005, 03:38 PM
I live in the top floor of a house and I get several different wireless signals, so when mine goes, i just switch to next doors. /images/graemlins/grin.gif In fact I may be using it right now /images/graemlins/shocked.gif.

J-Lo
04-28-2005, 03:39 PM
i use my wirless carrier, just plug my phone into my pc and i'm all set at 240kps.

Newt_Buggs
04-28-2005, 03:41 PM
I have several friends on speed dial that I can call up. I live on campus so I don't have any control of my internet. Looking back on the year, it would have been worth it to get a phone line installed in my room and an ISP, the monthly fee would have been less than what i lost when the internet went unstable on campus

GtrHtr
04-28-2005, 03:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I live in the top floor of a house and I get several different wireless signals, so when mine goes, i just switch to next doors. /images/graemlins/grin.gif In fact I may be using it right now /images/graemlins/shocked.gif.

[/ QUOTE ]

I had to laugh! Me too /images/graemlins/blush.gif

Freudian
04-28-2005, 03:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Just curious what you all (especially the 4-6 tablers) do when your internet dies on you. I have comcast and figure I need to think of a backup plan in case. Do you have friends that you call up when this happens, or people you run over to within the 20 minutes it takes to get destroyed sitting out?

[/ QUOTE ]

Lost my connection today for 20 minutes, just after starting three $22 tourneys. When it returned I had 200 chips on two tables and went out in 4th-5th.

Second time it happened to me, last time I had two tables open.

dfscott
04-28-2005, 03:57 PM
Mine has been really flakey lately. I switched from Comcast to Bellsouth DSL because Comcast sucked so badly. Now, my DSL is starting to flake out too. I don't see any other decent options, so I guess I'll just have to live with it. By the time I could get dialed in, I'm toast anyway.

It usually just gets "hiccupy" -- I'll lose my signal on a table here and a table there for about 5-10 seconds at a time, but occasionally long enough to time me out for a hand. Mostly more annoying to my opponents than it is to me, but sometimes this happens:

***** Hand History for Game 1964336990 *****
15/30 TOURNEYTEXASHTGAMETABLE (NL) (TOURNAMENT 11706702) - WED APR 27 23:44:36 EDT 2005
Table Table 12181 (Real Money) -- Seat 4 is the button
Total number of players : 9
Seat 1: j_money22 (905)
Seat 2: JRSwoop (1515)
Seat 3: dfscott1 (775)
Seat 4: WhoIzYurDadd (800)
Seat 5: FlthySanch (1090)
Seat 6: belzbub (665)
Seat 8: rjb922 (655)
Seat 9: TripSevs (795)
Seat 10: crzychinamen (800)
FlthySanch posts small blind (10)
belzbub posts big blind (15)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to dfscott1 [ As, Ac ]
rjb922 folds.
TripSevs folds.
crzychinamen folds.
j_money22 folds.
JRSwoop folds.
dfscott1 did not respond in time.
dfscott1 folds.
WhoIzYurDadd calls (15)
dfscott1: AHHHHH!!!!
FlthySanch calls (5)
belzbub checks.

bluesbassman
04-28-2005, 04:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have comcast, and about a week ago, my internet connection went down for a few hours. I was in the middle of a $22 SnG on Stars, and I had a healthy second place stack with 6 players remaining when I became disconnected. When I reconnected hours later (I had no back-up plan), I was surprised to discover I had placed 3rd in the tourney, which is frankly better than I might have done if I had played.

Since I'm at best a mediocre player, makes me wonder whether internet outages are a +EV event for me! /images/graemlins/blush.gif

minwoo
04-28-2005, 04:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i use my wirless carrier, just plug my phone into my pc and i'm all set at 240kps.

[/ QUOTE ]

What wireless carrier do you use? Anyone know if Sprint PCS provide something like this?

raptor517
04-28-2005, 04:42 PM
this happens to me all too often. i get really mad, punch a wall, and immediately get on the phone and start calling everoyone i know to finish off my 10-12 sngs for me. i hate my internet setup, and im moving soon, so i wont ever have to deal with it again. im going to have cable, dsl, and dial up, so it never goes down. bwahahahahaha

Scuba Chuck
04-28-2005, 04:46 PM
Noob question. Do these problems exist for cable internet connections? Never had a problem in the last 6 months. And I'm pounding the SNGs out, so it's not luck IMO.

Meatmaw
04-28-2005, 04:48 PM
Since I don't have a land line (only use cells) and am not in "making-mucho-$$$" mode such that I can justify a barrage of backup services, I think my best option may be to run to the coffee shops 5 minutes away. Anyone know if these places usually have their wifi active after closing hours or from a parked car so I don't have to run in, setup the laptop, and look guilty not buying anything b/c i'm too busy finishing my sngs? /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Meatmaw
04-28-2005, 04:49 PM
Yes, I use Comcast and sometimes connection just cuts out, sometimes in groups over a few days for minutes at a time. Sometimes, if you're lucky, you get it cut off for a few hours. There is no service that is immune, basically, from a home, it seems to me. I had dsl way back and it was downright horrid. I wish my workplace didn't have a firewall.

Tilt
04-28-2005, 04:57 PM
Its not just internet connections that sometimes interrupt.

We ought to have a 2+2 emergency "please finish my sng's" system.

dfscott
04-28-2005, 04:58 PM
I had Cable Internet for years and it worked like a champ. Then, my neiborhood got saturated and it started going down every night between 9pm and 2am. I called and bitched and moaned and all they'd ever do is send out a technician during normal biz hours when of course everything was fine.

After a 3-day outage, I finally switched to DSL, which has worked like a champ until I started 4-tabling lately. (Who knows if it's related, but I think not.)

FWIW, my neighbor now says the the cable internet is working great since I switched, so maybe it was me chewing up all the bandwidth. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

dfscott
04-28-2005, 05:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point -- I have 2 kids and wifey. I dumped 4 33s last night when she found out her dad was in the hospital. I got back to them just before the bubble, but it could've been a lot worse.

The trick is finding someone you trust enough to give you password to, since that's the only way you can let someone finish it for you, right?

Misfire
04-28-2005, 05:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
this happens to me all too often. i get really mad, punch a wall, and immediately get on the phone and start calling everoyone i know to finish off my 10-12 sngs for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

*RING* Hello, Irie? Hey, it's Misfire. Listen, my internet just went down AGAIN, and wouldn't ya know I just bought into 8 $215's. Yeah, crazy fluke eh? Anyway, would you mind finishing these up for me? I'd really appreciate it. Thanks, man.

skipperbob
04-28-2005, 05:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
*RING* Hello, Irie? Hey, it's Misfire. Listen, my internet just went down AGAIN, and wouldn't ya know I just bought into 8 $215's. Yeah, crazy fluke eh? Anyway, would you mind finishing these up for me? I'd really appreciate it. Thanks, man

[/ QUOTE ]

Good Idea, but doesn't work for me....Irie's a much better player than I, but then he would check my "history" and see how fast I am pissing away his inheritance /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

The Yugoslavian
04-28-2005, 05:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
this happens to me all too often. i get really mad, punch a wall, and immediately get on the phone and start calling everoyone i know to finish off my 10-12 sngs for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

*RING* Hello, Irie? Hey, it's Misfire. Listen, my internet just went down AGAIN, and wouldn't ya know I just bought into 8 $215's. Yeah, crazy fluke eh? Anyway, would you mind finishing these up for me? I'd really appreciate it. Thanks, man.

[/ QUOTE ]

Raptor's messages are much more like this:

[ QUOTE ]

MOTHERF*CKER MY F*CKING INTERNET JUST WENT [incoherent babbling and screaming]. YOU HAVE EUROBET RIGHT? NO?!?!?!?! WTF?!?!?! BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. IT'S ALL RIGGED! [more incoherent babbling]...

[/ QUOTE ]

After going through this with enough of his friends he usually finds one who is available to help him out, /images/graemlins/grin.gif.

Yugoslav

J-Lo
04-28-2005, 05:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What wireless carrier do you use? Anyone know if Sprint PCS provide something like this?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have verizon, it uses my minutes. So if it's past 9pm or weekend, i get unlimited. Otherwise, during the day it uses my regular minute for which i have payed.

KingDan
04-28-2005, 05:59 PM
A friend of mine will cover for me... I trust him with my neteller ID so giving him my pw is not a problem.

raptor517
04-28-2005, 06:11 PM
lol, yea, yer right, it is kinda more like that /images/graemlins/wink.gif holla

Tilt
04-28-2005, 07:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point -- I have 2 kids and wifey. I dumped 4 33s last night when she found out her dad was in the hospital. I got back to them just before the bubble, but it could've been a lot worse.

The trick is finding someone you trust enough to give you password to, since that's the only way you can let someone finish it for you, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have 2 kids and wife too. I never know whether its cheating to exclude the sngs that get dumped cause of a kid crisis from my ROI. Its my own personal ethical dilemma.

Oh, yeah, and sometimes work interrupts. /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

ilya
04-28-2005, 08:29 PM
I keep a Comcast VP down in my basement, so my service has been pretty good.

Blarg
04-28-2005, 10:01 PM
I have DSL with SBC/Yahoo and when I got it, I kept my dial-up MSN account.

Occasionally I'll have the dial-up sign-on window pop up. This will happen when Party suddenly gets really slow and is lagging everyone, or once in a rare while when my DSL just gets exceptionally slow. That's pretty cool that it comes up automatically; I guess my internet programs are thinking my connection dropped and are automatically trying to correct it the way they did before I got DSL. If I sign out of my dial-up connection in a few minutes, my DSL will have reestablished itself quietly in the background, making for a smooth transition. Perhaps the DSL even reestablishes itself in the background during the dial-up procedure. Either way, I'm covered by two different systems at once. Very nice, especially in SNG's.

I was going to drop my dial-up once I got DSL, but if having a redundant connection keeps me from losing even a single SNG, the dial-up will have paid for itself for the entire month-- maybe the next month too, and more.

Blarg
04-28-2005, 10:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Mine has been really flakey lately. I switched from Comcast to Bellsouth DSL because Comcast sucked so badly. Now, my DSL is starting to flake out too. I don't see any other decent options, so I guess I'll just have to live with it. By the time I could get dialed in, I'm toast anyway.

It usually just gets "hiccupy" -- I'll lose my signal on a table here and a table there for about 5-10 seconds at a time, but occasionally long enough to time me out for a hand. Mostly more annoying to my opponents than it is to me, but sometimes this happens:

***** Hand History for Game 1964336990 *****
15/30 TOURNEYTEXASHTGAMETABLE (NL) (TOURNAMENT 11706702) - WED APR 27 23:44:36 EDT 2005
Table Table 12181 (Real Money) -- Seat 4 is the button
Total number of players : 9
Seat 1: j_money22 (905)
Seat 2: JRSwoop (1515)
Seat 3: dfscott1 (775)
Seat 4: WhoIzYurDadd (800)
Seat 5: FlthySanch (1090)
Seat 6: belzbub (665)
Seat 8: rjb922 (655)
Seat 9: TripSevs (795)
Seat 10: crzychinamen (800)
FlthySanch posts small blind (10)
belzbub posts big blind (15)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to dfscott1 [ As, Ac ]
rjb922 folds.
TripSevs folds.
crzychinamen folds.
j_money22 folds.
JRSwoop folds.
dfscott1 did not respond in time.
dfscott1 folds.
WhoIzYurDadd calls (15)
dfscott1: AHHHHH!!!!
FlthySanch calls (5)
belzbub checks.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL. Poor fella. I've had the exact same thing happen, and worse.

Blarg
04-28-2005, 10:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
this happens to me all too often. i get really mad, punch a wall, and immediately get on the phone and start calling everoyone i know to finish off my 10-12 sngs for me. i hate my internet setup, and im moving soon, so i wont ever have to deal with it again. im going to have cable, dsl, and dial up, so it never goes down. bwahahahahaha

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously dude, you'd be an idiot not to. At the stakes you're playing.

By the way, you'd also be an idiot not to get a battery back-up. I finally broke down and spent like $300 for one, and it already came in very handy during a short power outtage. Not to mention, the good battery back-up units also have real surge protectors in them, not the joke ones that sell for five bucks at the drugstore. Power surges can bounce you right out of tourneys too.

Hell at your stakes, you could be bounced out of more than a grand at a time because of power or connection problems. You'd have to be an idiot not to protect your money properly by having redundant net connections, excellent battery back-up, and outstanding surge protection.

Blarg
04-28-2005, 10:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

MOTHERF*CKER MY F*CKING INTERNET JUST WENT [incoherent babbling and screaming]. YOU HAVE EUROBET RIGHT? NO?!?!?!?! WTF?!?!?! BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. IT'S ALL RIGGED! [more incoherent babbling]...

[/ QUOTE ]

After going through this with enough of his friends he usually finds one who is available to help him out, /images/graemlins/grin.gif.

Yugoslav

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL

TheUsher
04-28-2005, 10:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yugoslav

[/ QUOTE ]

!!! Now you know who the idiot is that got on Eurobet for him. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

raptor517
04-29-2005, 08:37 AM
so what are you getting at.. that im an idiot? yea yer right. im MOVING SOON. gonna have battery backup and 3 internet connections. SHEESH. /images/graemlins/wink.gif holla

dfscott
04-29-2005, 08:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
so what are you getting at.. that im an idiot? yea yer right. im MOVING SOON. gonna have battery backup and 3 internet connections. SHEESH. /images/graemlins/wink.gif holla

[/ QUOTE ]

About battery backup...

If your house/apt power goes, does DSL continue to work? I know POTS works without power, but assuming you have power for your modem, will the DSL line continue to work?

d1sterbd
04-30-2005, 08:30 AM
Check to see if you can get on to someone else's wireless connection if you happen to need it. If you live in an apartment or condo, you should be able to. If you can't, get cable and DSL.

Blarg
04-30-2005, 08:38 AM
I don't know for sure about all the time, like a major power diaster or something, but when my power goes out, my phone works. When it went out last time, it worked.

Also, DSL does come in through a phone line, and you can plug your phone line in to the better battery back-up. I'm thinking the answer is probably yes. I'll see if I can find my manual tomorrow.