PDA

View Full Version : FYI, Jesus doesnt like poker!

jnalpak
04-28-2005, 01:18 PM
I'm not sure if this is an april fools day joke way passed its due date but this just popped up on my RSS FEED. God forbid the religous right gets momentum on these topics or our glory days crushing SSH will be over.

AMERICA SHOULD CRIMINALIZE ONLINE POKER (http://www.onlinepokercenter.com/articles/online_poker/america_should_criminalize_online_poker.php)

rmarotti
04-28-2005, 01:27 PM
You are retarded for posting this here. Do you see why? I'll let others elaborate.

AnnieCruz86
04-29-2005, 11:27 AM
The Bible never specifically says anything about gambling.

Quotron
04-29-2005, 11:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The Bible never specifically says anything about gambling.

[/ QUOTE ]

ChoicestHops
04-29-2005, 12:00 PM
This article is drawing dead.

Yobz
04-29-2005, 12:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Online poker is a game of deception which promotes greed, envy, pride, and sloth.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm too lazy to respond to this and have to go make more money playing poker anyway...can't let other people make more money than me, even though I make a lot!

Martin
04-29-2005, 01:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]

The Bible condemns obtaining money by cheating, stealing or lying, and the Tenth Commandment specifically condemns the desire of obtaining what belongs to others.

Playing poker for money also violates the Bible’s instructions to love your neighbor and take care of the poor. Poker creates winners and losers and cultivates a desire to win at your neighbor’s expense.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh well that puts an end to trading the stock market as well then.

vulturesrow
04-29-2005, 01:13 PM
FWIW, the Catholic Church does not prohibit gambling, with certain exceptions of course.

From the Catechism:

2413 Games of chance (card games, etc.) or wagers are not in themselves contrary to justice. They become morally unacceptable when they deprive someone of what is necessary to provide for his needs and those of others. The passion for gambling risks becoming an enslavement. Unfair wagers and cheating at games constitute grave matter, unless the damage inflicted is so slight that the one who suffers it cannot reasonably consider it significant

KowCiller
04-29-2005, 01:21 PM
Anyone figure out where this article was originally written/published before being put on that site?

KoW

Eihli
04-29-2005, 02:45 PM
I don't see why. Please tell me why.

EliteNinja
04-29-2005, 07:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Online poker is a game of deception which promotes greed, envy, pride, and sloth.

[/ QUOTE ]

Marketing is a game of deception. Deception is used by lawyers and used car salesmen.

Poker does not promote greed, envy, pride, and sloth. Those are 4 of the 7 sins, but it is only people themselves who act on them to commit those sins. People who cannot control their own greed, envy, pride and sloth cannot win at poker. Poker is only a means which one can act out these sins, just like EVERYTHING else in life.

[ QUOTE ]
The Bible condemns obtaining money by cheating, stealing or lying, and the Tenth Commandment specifically condemns the desire of obtaining what belongs to others.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't cheat, steal or lie when I play poker. How can you do so online anyways?

People are willing to give away their money to seek entertainment. They understand that they are risking their money in the game. Nobody really owns money. They just rent it.

[ QUOTE ]
Playing poker for money also violates the Bible’s instructions to love your neighbor and take care of the poor. Poker creates winners and losers and cultivates a desire to win at your neighbor’s expense.

[/ QUOTE ]

My neighbours don't play poker. In fact, most of the ppl I play against don't even live in the same city.

People who play poker online aren't that poor. Compare them to people in 3rd world nations without food, shelter or water, online poker players are rich in comparison.

Poker is a game. There are winners and losers in EVERY game. Are you saying that we shouldn't play games? Winners always win at the loser's expense. And again, they ain't my neighbours!

[ QUOTE ]
Of course, values such as hard work, thriftiness, and personal responsibility are not exclusively Christian teachings. These are values we can all agree on. Let us protect these values and criminalize online poker today.

[/ QUOTE ]

How is poker not hard work? It takes dedication, time and patience just like everything else to get good at.

How does thriftiness, and personal responsibility come into play here? It doesn't.

Summary:
This article uses the name of Jesus Christ out of context. Just like how everyone uses twists religion to their own agenda. That is a prime example of exactly what all religions are against. This is how wars are started.

BOTW
04-29-2005, 07:56 PM
He's a calling station. Plus, the dude keeps changing pocket aces to deuces on the turn when I'm not looking. He's a nice enough guy though, and good to have in your game.

SpearsBritney
04-29-2005, 08:12 PM
Poker = risk = stocks = buisness = advertising = relationships = getting out of bed in the mornig = anything worth while = life.

Poker is entertainment that is essentially no different from golf or any other recreational activity, in that the vast majority of people pay to play, and only a very small percentage get paid to play. (Although in golf, or any other sport for that matter, the percentage of profesionals is MUCH smaller)
The interesting thing about this is that the professional golfer's income is also generated from the weaker players, channeled up through products and equiptment, television advertising and corporate sponsorship. And in the case of the club pro, the money is directly transfered.

Blarg
04-29-2005, 09:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So does capitalism. Did Castro write this column to soften us up in preparation for an invasion?