PDA

View Full Version : Avoiding trouble hands in live 1/2 NL

betgo
04-28-2005, 11:52 AM
For example, 5 limpers and I complete in the SB with A9o. The flop comes 952r. I bet 10. Someone raises to 30 and there is a cold call. I think I am probably ahead but I fold. The turn is a Q. A bet of 30 and a call. Check, check on the river. The flop raiser wins the hand with K9 for a pair of nines. He probably thought I had a worse kicker in the blinds and he was protecting his hand.

The way the table was playing, I would probably have done better to check/call, but then I have to worry about overcards hitting.

Obviously, I have to play a hand like that in the SB and it would be tempting to play this in late position after several limpers. However, I find what Brunson calls trouble hands (unsuited high cards) difficult to play in these games. I tend to get betted off the best hand. I am too weak/tight to go to the felt with TPTK. I find top poar hard to play in these games.

I prefer to play big hands, or pair suited connectors and the like with which I can make big hands, since I will get payed off well if I hit. I want a hand I can go to the felt with.

I suppose I am taking a weak/tight nut peddling approach. I will occcasionally make bluffs or loose raises or reraises, partly to make my play less predictable. However, I am not crazy about trying to show down medium strength hands in these loose games.

mishafp
04-28-2005, 11:56 AM
No, you made the right play. With two people acting already, you gotta think one of them might have you beat, and in any case, its going to be too expensive for you to find out. TPTK is a good way to lose a lot of money, and not a great way to make lots of money (esp. against two people in an unraised 6-way pot).

KKrAAAzy88s
04-28-2005, 12:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
(esp. against two people in an unraised 6-way pot).

[/ QUOTE ]

as doyle said, "don't go broke in an unraised pot."

not that you'd go broke here, but like mishafp said it may be expensive to find out.

mythrilfox
04-28-2005, 12:22 PM
Ok.

xorbie
04-29-2005, 05:00 AM
Look at it this way. If the flop is 9 high, you bet, get raised and fold. If the flop is A high, you bet, get raised, and fold.

Solution: don't play A9 in the small blind. Alternatively, check/call the flop (like if you're in the big blind).