View Full Version : 77 UTG

Cleveland Guy
04-28-2005, 10:17 AM
How do you play this.

4 handed - semi tight table

Hero is UTG with 7 /images/graemlins/club.gif 7 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

Cleveland Guy
04-28-2005, 10:20 AM
Sorry- I'm having trouble posting, it looks like the poll is out of order - I apoligize.

RunDownHouse
04-28-2005, 10:40 AM
Given that I raised pf, pretty easy lead on the flop. If for some reason I had limped pf, I think I like check/call, bet any blank line, checking to an A or K.

___1___
04-28-2005, 10:40 AM
Cleveland Guy,

Easy raise to open and I cap a button 3bet everytime 4-handed. The preflop cap precipitates that you lead the flop regardless of what comes (quads included). From there you should get an idea of how much the button likes his hand and can play accordingly.

___1___

Cleveland Guy
04-28-2005, 10:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Cleveland Guy,

Easy raise to open and I cap a button 3bet everytime 4-handed. The preflop cap precipitates that you lead the flop regardless of what comes (quads included). From there you should get an idea of how much the button likes his hand and can play accordingly.

___1___

[/ QUOTE ]

I was pretty sure the raise is the correct play pre-flop. I just posted to see if anyone does differently.

I'm more interested in the answers to the other 2 questions - between calling the 3-bet and capping, and how to lead out.

MAxx
04-28-2005, 10:48 AM
blast away

Cleveland Guy
04-28-2005, 11:22 AM
Why here are so many people voting for calling the 3-Bet here?

Are you planning on check/folding this if you don't flop your set? or if any A, or K flops?

I capped it when I played, and it worked out well for me, but I'm curious as to why 17 votes in, the overwhelming majority vote for the call.

If this was 3-way, I would call this 100 times, but heads up, where the button can have any pair (higher or lower), AK, AQ, KQ, etc, I'm curious as to why most of you just call.

Thanks for the help and advice.

ETA- I was kinda torn between calling and capping - so I'm really curious to hear reasons.

tac252
04-28-2005, 11:24 AM
I lead and bet here about 100% of the time, seeing the I most likely put in last raise PF. If it is 3-bet PF (I usually don't cap with 77 PF, is this a mistake?) I call the the 3 bet then c/r the PF 3better on the flop then continue my aggression on later streets. Your likely to get action on a flop like this from a wide range of hands.

Tom

wuarhg
04-28-2005, 11:27 AM
I cap and lead the flop.

tac252
04-28-2005, 11:29 AM
This could be flawed logic, but I think PF after you are 3-bet you are either in a coinflip with a slight edge or you are squashed by a larger pair ( i guess your right, he could have 22-66 or even be isolation raising with something like A5s...but I still think most likely you have a small edge or you are getting crapped on, and its impossible to tell which at this point).

Grisgra
04-28-2005, 11:31 AM
The answer to #1 is ridiculously dependent on how many callers you have and your reads on them.

Cleveland Guy
04-28-2005, 11:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
This could be flawed logic, but I think PF after you are 3-bet you are either in a coinflip with a slight edge or you are squashed by a larger pair ( i guess your right, he could have 22-66 or even be isolation raising with something like A5s...but I still think most likely you have a small edge or you are getting crapped on, and its impossible to tell which at this point).

[/ QUOTE ]

You make fair points - I'm not thinking I'm against A5s here very often - not with this button (he was normal), but since I get to act first after the flop, and put in the last raise, I can represent a monster, and lead out any raggy flop - trying to see if my pair is good, or any A or K high flop - seeing if he will fold his hand to my "monster".

Cleveland Guy
04-28-2005, 11:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The answer to #1 is ridiculously dependent on how many callers you have and your reads on them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gris - sorry the questions somehow got out of order. #1 - should have been #3 - not sure how it got reversed.

in #3 I state it's just you against the Button, who has 3 bet you pre-flop.

Grisgra
04-28-2005, 11:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Gris - sorry the questions somehow got out of order. #1 - should have been #3 - not sure how it got reversed.

in #3 I state it's just you against the Button, who has 3 bet you pre-flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gotcha. Because I didn't cap this pf (though I can see the arguments for doing so -- I just think I'm behind after his 3-bet if he's tight, and 4-handed I don't see a lot of opponents laying down a medium pocket even if the flop has an overcard or two) I'd probably check/call the flop and think about donkbetting the turn, hoping I can threebet if he's got a real hand, thinking that I get an extra bet if he's just got A-high bcs he might just check behind on the turn with A-high.

Not an option you give, though /images/graemlins/smile.gif.

tac252
04-28-2005, 11:43 AM
You also make good points. The only situation I can think of where you are going to get a better hand to fold to your 77 is if an A flops and he has a pocket pair also (KK-88) and oftentimes your going to have to earn it by making a 3-bet on the flop when he raises your flop bet with his PP. In most other situations you are ahead anyways, so you don't really want him to fold to your monster.

Your point is very valid and i'm still not sure which way is correct. I would like to hear some other people on why they would cap it preflop.

Tom

IlliniRyRy
04-28-2005, 12:03 PM
On the question 'how do you open', I voted for a fold here. I thought it was funny that you actually put that as an option so I had to vote for it.

Cleveland Guy
04-28-2005, 12:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'd probably check/call the flop and think about donkbetting the turn, hoping I can threebet if he's got a real hand, thinking that I get an extra bet if he's just got A-high bcs he might just check behind on the turn with A-high.

Not an option you give, though /images/graemlins/smile.gif.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not an option i thought about during the hand while it played out. But this is also a very strong option IMO.

sy_or_bust
04-28-2005, 12:47 PM
My standard flop line would be an auto-bet on the flop, and a check on the turn against non-passive players.

Cleveland Guy
04-28-2005, 03:33 PM
Okay so hero has 77 UTG

Hero Raises, Button 3-Bets, SB Folds, BB Folds, Hero Caps, Button Calls.

Flop - 775

Hero Checks, Button Bets, Hero Calls

Turn - 5

Hero Checks, Button Bets, Hero Raies, Button Calls

River -4

Hero Bets, Button Raises, Hero 3-Bets, Button Calls

Hero has Quad 7s
Button has 2 Pair - Jacks and 7s