PDA

View Full Version : MCU came to PSU last night

cocked&locked
04-28-2005, 09:35 AM
Mike Caro came to Penn State last night to give a free seminar as part of a college promotional tour for Doyle Brunson's poker site. The seminar wasn't very well publicized, but I did catch an add in the school paper and decided to go. There were probably about 150 or so in attendance. He said that they have done 6 or 7 other universities, but I'm not sure if they plan to do more or not.

Overall, the seminar was pretty good, but primarily meant for a beginning player. Most, if not all of the topics he discussed were contained within his books (which is to be expected, I guess). He discussed tells, choosing a seat, etc. He took a few questions at the end. The whole thing lasted about 2 hours. Afterwards, he gave autographs and took pictures (I did neither - I'm just not a big fan of getting autographs from anyone). He's a very likeable person and was interested in meeting everyone.

The seminar was mostly interesting and included some antecdotes. He did, however say that its never too much of a mistake to limp with hands in limit holdem (instead of raising). I don't believe he was implying that the reason was to make people make bad decisions post flop (as in HFAP loose games section). He was implying that its ok to see a cheap flop and make a decision from there. It seems to me that I've read that in his books before as well (something to the effect that AK is a drawing hand or something - I could be wrong there and don't want to put words in his mouth - or on his pages). I didn't get a chance to question him about the money lost from not raising for value, isolation, hand protection, and/or stealing preflop.

He also had his book of tells and poker secret books for $10 and the tells DVD for $20. Eveyone there got a free hat, card protector, and cd with a match between Doyle and him with commentary.

I thought I'd pass the info along in case he comes to your university at some point.

TStokes
04-28-2005, 12:49 PM
sounds like a good time do you happen to know what other universities he plans on visiting?

cocked&locked
04-28-2005, 04:42 PM
No, but I think I remember him saying that he already went to Ohio State, San Diego State and Arizona State, among others.

I'm not sure if this was the last stop or not, or if they plan on doing it next semester, but I will tell you to keep your eyes peeled if you are interested in going. Apparently their advertisement plan sucks. He said they were supposed to have posters, etc. throughout campus, but no one saw any.