PDA

View Full Version : Quick Wine Question

Jazza
04-28-2005, 07:33 AM
i'm pretty much a n00b at drinking wine

right now i'm drinking some cabernet shiraz merlot, i plan on drinking half tonight half tommorow night

my question is do i cork it or not for the next 24 hours?

ethan
04-28-2005, 07:34 AM
cork it, put it in the fridge, and take it out an hour or so before you plan on drinking it.

Jazza
04-28-2005, 07:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
cork it, put it in the fridge, and take it out an hour or so before you plan on drinking it.

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks bro

pshreck
04-28-2005, 07:47 AM
If you know you are gonna drink it in under 36 hours, I would just cork it and leave it at room temperature. In general I hate not finishin a bottle of red in a night because of the fact that its hard to store after opened.

Chilling red wine then warming it again to room temperature isn't all that favorable.

Jazza
04-28-2005, 07:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If you know you are gonna drink it in under 36 hours, I would just cork it and leave it at room temperature. In general I hate not finishin a bottle of red in a night because of the fact that its hard to store after opened.

Chilling red wine then warming it again to room temperature isn't all that favorable.

[/ QUOTE ]

what is the pro for refridgerating it?

pshreck
04-28-2005, 07:55 AM
Same as why you need to put salsa, apple sauce, and other things in the fridge once they are opened, even though you can reseal them.

Oxygen now has made its way in, and putting it in the fridge basically keeps most of the oxygen out. Sticking the cork back in though should be good enough as I said for about 36 hours. Anymore than that and oxygen will have its way with the wine.

Rhone
04-28-2005, 07:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

what is the pro for refridgerating it?

[/ QUOTE ]

it slows down the process that makes wine that's been opened and exposed to air turn into vinegar, basically.

Rhone
04-28-2005, 07:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Same as why you need to put salsa, apple sauce, and other things in the fridge once they are opened, even though you can reseal them.

Oxygen now has made its way in, and putting it in the fridge basically keeps most of the oxygen out. Sticking the cork back in though should be good enough as I said for about 36 hours. Anymore than that and oxygen will have its way with the wine.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's more about the temperature slowing down the chemical reaction. There's plenty of oxygen in your refrigerator...

oljumpstart
04-28-2005, 08:06 AM
I always keep a clean 375ml. bottle on hand. If I know I won't be finishing a bottle, then as soon as I open it I pour half the contents into the smaller bottle and recork. That way it is exposed to oxygen for only a few seconds and there is very little head space in the bottle. It keeps quite nicely this way. Keep some of those plastic corks around to close the 1/2 bottle.

HDPM
04-28-2005, 10:56 AM
If you keep drinking wine get one of the Vacu-Vin deals. It is a white pump and comes w/ some plastic/rubber corks. You can pump the air out and seal up the bottle. You still want to drink the wine soon, but IME it works better than just sticking the cork back in. They cost 10-15 so it isn't very expensive and you can get extra cork things.

AdamK
04-28-2005, 01:03 PM
I wish i could plan on drinking only half a bottle.
If it's really nasty, then i may leave some for the next day.
In this case it really doesn't matter what you do with it.

I'd have a hard time leaving half a bottle of half-decent claret.
Stick a cork in it ( i suspect you can buy 'plugs' for about $1).
Under no circumstances put red wine in the fridge.

rmarotti
04-28-2005, 01:06 PM
There is no reason to put it in the fridge.

nolanfan34
04-28-2005, 01:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I always keep a clean 375ml. bottle on hand. If I know I won't be finishing a bottle, then as soon as I open it I pour half the contents into the smaller bottle and recork. That way it is exposed to oxygen for only a few seconds and there is very little head space in the bottle. It keeps quite nicely this way. Keep some of those plastic corks around to close the 1/2 bottle.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is really a great idea, I'm going to remember this.

PhatTBoll
04-28-2005, 01:16 PM
Here is a nifty little article I found. link (http://www.ivillage.co.uk/print/0,9688,176570,00.html)

I use the "corkies" he describes and they work well for me.

People disagree on whether you should put red wine in the fridge. In all honesty, if you're going to drink the rest within a day or two, it doesn't much matter. I tend to keep red wine out of the fridge because it tastes gross cold and I don't want to wait for it to warm up.

Fratony
04-28-2005, 08:03 PM
cork it and leave it out.

Red wine can stay (after corked) for 3-5 days... although if its a nice bottle, I'd recommend finishing it in one night.

Its pretty easy to tell when a red has gone bad, there will be an overbearing alcohol taste masking all the flavors.