PDA

View Full Version : Best Album of 2005 So Far

Macdaddy Warsaw
04-28-2005, 06:16 AM
Hey, I'm bored and listening to music and April is ending so with the year 1/3 finished, what's the best album released this year?

I'm going to say Out Hud's Let Us Never Speak of It Again.

Go.

Senor Cardgage
04-28-2005, 06:24 AM
Illinois, by Sufjan Stevens. Doesn't technically come out until July, though.

Not sure what I'd put in second place.

Catch of the Day
04-28-2005, 06:37 AM
The best one that I have purchased, which isn't saying much, is Arad'hna: Sat Sang. Citars are the bomb.

Catch-

Macdaddy Warsaw
04-28-2005, 09:58 AM
Selfish bump for the awake crowd. I want to hear about more albums.

lucas9000
04-28-2005, 10:14 AM
i have heard very little of 2005 stuff. from what i have heard:

m.i.a. "arular"
the perceptionists "black dialogue"

xadrez
04-28-2005, 10:22 AM
Nostalgia 77 - "The Garden"

uw_madtown
04-28-2005, 10:31 AM
Okkervil River - "Black Sheep Boy"
Bright Eyes - "I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning"

Probably the top 2 for me so far.

Brock Landers
04-28-2005, 10:39 AM
Misspelled Marquee by "TIM" (up and coming band out of Philadelphia)

MarkSummers
04-28-2005, 10:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Bright Eyes - "I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning"

[/ QUOTE ]

Jack of Arcades
04-28-2005, 10:54 AM
Spoon - Gimme Fiction
Nine Inch Nails - With Teeth (Review coming)

wonderwes
04-28-2005, 11:07 AM
Listen to this new single out.

Interpol - Evil.mp3

daryn
04-28-2005, 11:09 AM
these threads always degererate into a contest of who can name the most obscure bands that suck and nobody has ever heard of.

congratulations all!

Shajen
04-28-2005, 11:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
these threads always degererate into a contest of who can name the most obscure bands that suck and nobody has ever heard of.

congratulations all!

[/ QUOTE ]

Daryn is right.

lucas9000
04-28-2005, 11:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]

congratulations all!

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks for injecting that helpful and novel insight into the discussion.

AdamK
04-28-2005, 12:22 PM
Decemberists - Picaresque
Fischerspooner - Odyssey

ClaytonN
04-28-2005, 12:26 PM
Nine Inch Nail's new album
Bright Eyes (Conor Obherst) - I'm wide awak, it's morning
Beck - Guero

These will all soundly be trumped when Coldplay releases "X and Y" in a couple of months.

rmarotti
04-28-2005, 01:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

congratulations all!

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks for injecting that true insight into the discussion.

[/ QUOTE ]

fyp

rmarotti
04-28-2005, 01:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]

These will all soundly be trumped when Coldplay releases "X and Y" in a couple of months.

[/ QUOTE ]

Word.

Soul Daddy
04-28-2005, 01:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Listen to this new single out.

Interpol - Evil.mp3

[/ QUOTE ]
Great song, great album. One of the best of 2004.

Soul Daddy
04-28-2005, 01:51 PM
Beck - Guero
The Kills - No Wow
M. Ward - Transistor Radio

Macdaddy Warsaw
04-28-2005, 02:44 PM
After long consideration, I decided that C'Mere is the best song on the album.

Also, is No Wow really that good? I'm in love with Keep On Your Mean Side even though it took forever to get into, but the previews on iTunes (yes, I pay for a lot of my music) didn't intrigue me enough to get me to buy it, so I've been looking for it for free, although i may have to buy it if you give it strong enough hype. Also, Picaresque is great, even though I wasn't a fan of the Decemberists before.

Soul Daddy
04-28-2005, 03:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
After long consideration, I decided that C'Mere is the best song on the album.

Also, is No Wow really that good? I'm in love with Keep On Your Mean Side even though it took forever to get into, but the previews on iTunes (yes, I pay for a lot of my music) didn't intrigue me enough to get me to buy it, so I've been looking for it for free, although i may have to buy it if you give it strong enough hype. Also, Picaresque is great, even though I wasn't a fan of the Decemberists before.

[/ QUOTE ]
I waffle between Evil, Not Even Jail, & Slow Hands. But this thread is about 2005, so I'll stop talking about Interpol.

I think No Wow is fantastic, though I have not listened to Keep On Your Mean Side for comparison's sake. I find it distinctive, intense, and dark. I wouldn't consider it accessible, however, so your itunes samples are likely not going to sway your opinion.

btw, torrents are your friend.

uw_madtown
04-28-2005, 03:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]

congratulations all!

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny that you can also always count on someone coming into these threads to make stupid comments about the obscurity of all the albums. It's the new hip thing to be above indie music -- "only pretentious hipsters talk about that sh[/i]it". Or, alternatively, for indie enthusiasts to vigorously defend a single mainstream artist so that they're not seen as too indie. It's ri-goddamn-diculous. Like what you like, dislike what you dislike. Priding yourself on obscurity or ripping into others for liking obscure music is stupid.

daryn
04-28-2005, 03:18 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />
It's the new hip thing to be above indie music -- "only pretentious hipsters talk about that [censored]".

[/ QUOTE ]

not it's not. it's still the hip thing to talk about indie music. just look at this thread.

uw_madtown
04-28-2005, 03:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It's the new hip thing to be above indie music -- "only pretentious hipsters talk about that [censored]".

[/ QUOTE ]

not it's not. it's still the hip thing to talk about indie music. just look at this thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

A) You're using 2+2ers to prove what's hip. Big mistake.

B) Even still. You came in and made the comment, and two people instantly agreed. It's the "I'm better than you" thing to do when surrounded by indie kids. It's no better than the "I listen to obscure music so I have better taste than you" mentality.

lucas9000
04-28-2005, 03:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

do you have any clue what you're talking about? coldplay has been discussed, and is most certainly not "indie."

edit: nine inch nails and beck, also not "indie." seriously, get a clue.

uw_madtown
04-28-2005, 03:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
do you have any clue what you're talking about? coldplay has been discussed, and is most certainly not "indie."

[/ QUOTE ]

Besides, I'm struggling to come up with a mainstream release that I've liked this year. There just haven't been many big releases worth talking about. 50 Cent's The Massacre was okay but a bit of a disappointment. The Game's Documentary was pretty good. Beanie Sigel's The B.Coming was also pretty good but hasn't gotten any major play that I know of.

I'd find Daryn's comments less stupid if he listed some of his faves so far this year, but he didn't. FWIW, I usually like Daryn's posts, so I'm not trying to pick a fight with him... I just hear that attitude roughly as often as I hear the I'm-better-than-you-because-I'm-indie attitude, and they both are ultra stupid.

thatpfunk
04-28-2005, 03:41 PM
i /images/graemlins/heart.gif hipsters. they make me laugh.

daryn
04-28-2005, 05:09 PM

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

edit: nine inch nails and beck, also not "indie." seriously, get a clue.

[/ QUOTE ]

when i posted, nin was the only real non-obscure group.

sorry for being right all the time.

daryn
04-28-2005, 05:10 PM
some of my favs this year? hm.. i really can't think of anything good that came out this year, honestly.

ThaSaltCracka
04-28-2005, 05:16 PM
The Game- Documentary
The Black Market Militia- LP

thats all that I can think of so far, I like the new Chemical Bros, but I haven't heard any cool new rock, just mostly the same indie stuff that is starting to sound sorta generic.

tpir90036
04-28-2005, 05:22 PM
I really like Beck's new album. I have had it in my car since it came out and have not grown tired of it yet.

I have no idea who the bands other people listed are. I guess I am too old (27) to have cool musical taste anymore. Not that I ever did. Oh well.

lucas9000
04-28-2005, 06:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
sorry for being right all the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

wow you are super-awesome. did you forget to post this under your other account, "daryn is right?" nice try dummy.

daryn
04-28-2005, 06:11 PM
wow you are super-awesome.

[/ QUOTE ]

obvious

did you forget to post this under your other account, "daryn is right?"

[/ QUOTE ]

i wish that was mine /images/graemlins/frown.gif

nice try dummy.

[/ QUOTE ]

not sure what i tried, or if you're even addressing me. oh well!

contentless
04-28-2005, 06:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Eurotrash
04-28-2005, 06:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]

congratulations all!

[/ QUOTE ]

hahahah, I love this response. so effing true.

Jack of Arcades
04-28-2005, 06:56 PM
while NIN, Beck, and Coldplay certainly aren't indie artists in the traditional since, they're generally "hip" to listen to. I know this because I listen to them, and I'm apparently hip, even though I'm the farthest thing from a hipster.

uw_madtown
04-28-2005, 08:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
some of my favs this year? hm.. i really can't think of anything good that came out this year, honestly.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you gave some obscure stuff a chance, maybe you would. At worst, you wasted some time downloading it. At best, you found a new album and band that you enjoy.

mason55
04-28-2005, 08:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm going to say Out Hud's Let Us Never Speak of It Again.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very good album

ThaSaltCracka
04-28-2005, 10:35 PM
if "Daryn was right" was my gimmick account, I would post in this thread asap.

daryn
04-28-2005, 11:07 PM

[/ QUOTE ]

If you gave some obscure stuff a chance, maybe you would. At worst, you wasted some time downloading it. At best, you found a new album and band that you enjoy.

[/ QUOTE ]

ok i like the phunk junkeez

Patrick del Poker Grande
04-29-2005, 12:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]

congratulations all!

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm going to have to agree on this one. I very rarely even read the best music threads any more because it just makes me ill.

Anway, I'll nominate Interpol's Antics (and Evil as among the best songs) and Lullabies To Paralyze by QotSA (yes, QotSA - you know who they are, so suck it) as best in a so far lackluster year. I was a bit disappointed in QotSA's new album, but Little Sister is my favorite song of the year so far. The album's good, just not quite as good as I was hoping it was going to be. I'm not sure how excited I should be about Coldplay's new album. I like Coldplay, but I'm worried it's going to suck.

Jack of Arcades
04-29-2005, 12:21 AM
Antics came out in 2004.

other ones to add..

Iron and Wine - Woman King (that obscure? Beemer's all over In Good Company)
LCD Soundsystem - LCD Soundsystem
M.I.A. - Arular
Bright Eyes - I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning
Bright Eyes - Digital Ash in a Digital Urn
Skygreen Leopards - Life and Love in the Sparrow's Meadow
Tori Amos - The Beekeeper
Of Montreal - The Sundlandic Twins
Bonnie Prince Billy and Matt Sweeney - Superwolf
The Doves - Some Cities
The Evens - The Evens
The Kills - No Wow
Lou Barlow - EMOH

Seriously, I'm NOT trying to be obscure...

daryn
04-29-2005, 12:21 AM
Little Sister is my favorite song of the year so far.

[/ QUOTE ]

i heard this coming up on the radio for the first time yesterday and i remembered people talking about it on 2+2 so i figured i'd give it a listen. i thought it sounded like.. just a regular rock type song. anything special about it?

MarkSummers
04-29-2005, 12:23 AM
Antics came out last year but was still a solid album and I agree, C'mere is a fantastic song. Coldplay may or may not be good, I think they are boring anyway.

Mr biggums
04-29-2005, 12:28 AM
Tonedeff- Archetype

marsvolta619
04-29-2005, 01:13 AM
In no order...

Perceptionists - Black Dialogue
Quasimoto - Further Adventures of...
Mars Volta - Frances The Mute
Edan - Beauty and The Beat
The Futureheads - Self Titled

MarkSummers
04-29-2005, 01:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
In no order...

[/ QUOTE ]

I didnt like frances the mute at all. deloused was much much better. just my opinion though.

-Skeme-
04-29-2005, 01:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
In no order...

[/ QUOTE ]

Hold the nerd rap. Ty.

Robnaldo
04-29-2005, 02:49 AM
Nice to see some Bright Eyes fans here =)

For me:
1. Comeback Kid - Wake the Dead
2. Circa Survive - Juturna
3. Final Fantasy - has a good home
4. Gatbsy's American Dream - Volcano
5. The Mars Volta - Frances The Mute or Bright Eyes - I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning

MEbenhoe
04-29-2005, 02:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Lullabies To Paralyze by QotSA

[/ QUOTE ]

Beat me to it. They're quickly turning into my favorite rock band.

tinga81
04-29-2005, 03:06 AM
I was happy to see so many people with the Beck posts, not many of my friends enjoy it .. but it's good [censored] nonetheless.

Worth listening to ..

Beck - Guero
Quarashi - Guerilla Disco (Japan Import)
Weezer - Make Believe (May 10 release date)
NIN - With Teeth (I saw a few others say it too)
Daft Punk - Human After All (If you like this stuff)

Jack of Arcades
05-05-2005, 08:55 AM
Others...

Architecture in Helsinki - In Case We Die
British Sea Power - Open Season
Fischerspooner - Odyssey
Sufjan Stevens - Illinois
Out Hud - Let Us Never Speak of It Again
Vitalic - OK Cowboy

IndieMatty
05-05-2005, 10:47 AM
I read the whole thread. Guess what it's not obscure anymore to be talking about these bands nor cool any moron with a radio or mtv knows about almost any one of these bands mentioned. It's the new pop...that being said..

Bloc Party - Silent Alarm is easily the best album (or at least the most fun that I have heard in a long time)

The new Bright Eyes albums, Beck's Guero, new QUOTSA and the new Mars Volta rock all sorts of hard too.

mmbt0ne
05-05-2005, 11:39 AM
Circa Survive - Juturna

And I know daryn, I'm a total tool for listing a band you haven't heard of.

daryn
05-05-2005, 11:41 AM
no of course not, you can listen to anything you want, clearly. the thing is.. BEST ALBUM OF 2005 and everyone wants to nominate their local garage band or some eastern european techno group.

mmbt0ne
05-05-2005, 11:44 AM
Well, it's their first full length album, and the only reason I know about them is because their lead singer is from a band I like a lot. That said, old band is fairly obscure too.

daryn
05-05-2005, 11:46 AM
ok but do you seriously believe it's the BEST ALBUM OF 2005, or were you just name dropping. that's the thing i think.

mmbt0ne
05-05-2005, 11:47 AM
Right now it's my favorite, but mostly because it's only 3 weeks old. I'm sure whenever the next good cd come out it'll be my favorite instead.

IndieMatty
05-05-2005, 11:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
no of course not, you can listen to anything you want, clearly. the thing is.. BEST ALBUM OF 2005 and everyone wants to nominate their local garage band or some eastern european techno group.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are clearly overly bitter about this subject. Seems like you excel in a lot of stuff, but may be envious of those who enjoy and seek out good music. As an aspiring drummer too...it must be even more hard to be so ordinairy and bitter towards those who know more about whats out there.. I feel sorry for you.

I'm just playing..but seriously why so bitter? Take this example: TSC, I remember he said he dug Pinback, who have been around for about 6 years. He just started hearing them. If he was like mmbtone, jack, macdaddy warsaw, sfer, etc. and seeked out obscure music he liked, rather then waiting for it to be thrown in his face by the sucky mainstream...think of how much more enjoyment he would have gotten over the last few years?

daryn
05-05-2005, 11:59 AM
i LOVE music man. i think you are reading me totally wrong. if you can honestly tell me that these types of threads are not conducive to name dropping obscure bands, i don't know what to tell you.

i have NO PROBLEM WITH obscure music!

IndieMatty
05-05-2005, 12:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i LOVE music man. i think you are reading me totally wrong. if you can honestly tell me that these types of threads are not conducive to name dropping obscure bands, i don't know what to tell you.

i have NO PROBLEM WITH obscure music!

[/ QUOTE ]

Well hopefully you have read enough of my music posts and know that that's not my style, and I honestly don't think its most of the other guys in here too. I don't question the integrity of SFer, bdk, Jack of Arcades, Lucas, MacDaddy or MMBtone. And the only people im leaving out may just be because I don't know them as well as I know these other guys.

I think you are projecting a stereotype on people and although it occurs and it is annoying, I'd like to think our ootia regulars are above that and are pretty good real dudes.

Whatever, buy the Bloc Party album, its not obscure its on the radio, its better then anything mentioned in this thread.

contentless
05-05-2005, 01:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Weezer - Make Believe (May 10 release date)
NIN - With Teeth (I saw a few others say it too)
Daft Punk - Human After All (If you like this stuff)

[/ QUOTE ]

None of these have even approached the point where they can possibly be considered best album of 2005. All 3 are awfully mediocre, and in fact, all 3 are in contention to be the worst album for that band, ESPECIALLY Make Believe. One of the greater disappointments of the year.

Sporky
05-05-2005, 01:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Well, it's their first full length album, and the only reason I know about them is because their lead singer is from a band I like a lot. That said, old band is fairly obscure too.

[/ QUOTE ]

saosin isn't that obscure. i think i like circa survive quite a bit better at this point, but i've heard saosin's new stuff is going to be really good. only time will tell.

juturna is probably my nomination for best so far.

the receiving end of sirens put out a pretty good cd a couple weeks ago...and of course mars volta.