PDA

View Full Version : Any Twilight Zone fans?

Non_Comformist
04-28-2005, 05:54 AM
I've set my DVR for this now on Sci FI, I had forgotten how much I liked it.

Favorite episode?

I think mine is "To Serve Man" in which Aliens land on earth spreading peace and prosperity. To Serve Man is the title of their guide book which is determined (too late) to be a cook book.

I wish I could find some Tales from the dark side, that show used to scare the crap out of me when I was a kid.

BiffMan
04-28-2005, 01:57 PM
Always liked Zone... I like it when Sci-fi does their periodic marathons of it. Always nice to catch one of those if I'm home sick from work or whatnot.

Hard to pick a favorite episode. Quite like To Serve Man also, but also really liked the "Terror at ?0,000 Feet" with Shatner, and (can't recall the name) the one with the play writer who's characters come to life.

As an aside, ever been to Disneyworld for the Tower of Terror ride? I'm meh on the drop part, but love the backstory and props and such... very nice job of capturing the feel of the show.

LALDAAS
04-28-2005, 02:00 PM
Even the episodes that sucked are better than 75% of all the crap that is on tv now a days.

offTopic
04-28-2005, 02:26 PM
- The song is mediocre. 5/10. Not even the best Golden Earring song.

- The original show was fantastic...so many good episodes. The first one that came to mind was Agnes Moorehead trying to fend off all the little aliens that turned out to be us.

- The newer tv show, eh.

- The pinball game was easy to get a replay on. (And why it referenced the original show, but played the GE song, I'll never know.)

Analyst
04-28-2005, 03:02 PM
There were a couple of episodes that just didn't quite work, a couple of plot lines revisted a few too many times, a few good 5-minute episodes stretched to 30 minutes, but overall Twilight Zone is probably the finest series ever on television. One of only two that I'd want to own on DVD.

To Serve Man is a candidate for favorite episode, but I'd have to give the nod to The Monsters Are Due On Maple Street. Or Time Enough At Last. Or The Howling Man (the story was better than the TZ episode, though). Or . . .

daryn
04-28-2005, 03:24 PM
yea i think the howling man is my favorite. i love this show, and not that new crap. also the one with the pool hustler is good too.. with that guy from the odd couple.

Gin 'n Tonic
04-28-2005, 03:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
...overall Twilight Zone is probably the finest series ever on television. One of only two that I'd want to own on DVD.

[/ QUOTE ]

What's the other one?

Eurotrash
04-28-2005, 03:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
also the one with the pool hustler is good too.. with that guy from the odd couple.

[/ QUOTE ]

do you mean Jack Klugman, also of Quincy, M.E.? /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

I like this episode too.. it's the one where he doesn't spend much time with his son as a kid and then later he dies in the war, but he's given the chance to die in his place? I think that's almost something like the plot...

Non_Comformist
04-28-2005, 03:31 PM
good episode.

Another one I thought of takes place in a hospital where a woman who is apparently horribly disfigured has to undergo an operation. In the end it is revieled that she is of course beautiful and everyone else is some type of pigman.

Eurotrash
04-28-2005, 03:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
good episode.

Another one I thought of takes place in a hospital where a woman who is apparently horribly disfigured has to undergo an operation. In the end it is revieled that she is of course beautiful and everyone else is some type of pigman.

[/ QUOTE ]

I love this one, the set up of the twist ending in this is brilliant, in my opinion.

Analyst
04-28-2005, 05:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
...overall Twilight Zone is probably the finest series ever on television. One of only two that I'd want to own on DVD.

[/ QUOTE ]

What's the other one?

[/ QUOTE ]

There were a couple of episodes that just didn't quite work, a couple of plot lines revisted a few too many times, a few good 5-minute episodes stretched to 30 minutes, but overall The Simpsons is probably the finest comedy series ever on television. One of only two that I'd want to own on DVD.

Sooga
04-28-2005, 09:24 PM
One vote for 'Time Enough At Last'.... there's reason it's considered a classic episode, and that's because it's one of the best. I show it to my students every so often, and they love it too.

slickpoppa
04-28-2005, 09:46 PM
I love the twilight zone. There were a lot of episodes that sucked, but there were also a lot of brilliant ones. Some of my favorites are:

Monster are Due on Maple Street
Time Enough at Last
Eye of the Beholder
Will the Real Martian Please Stand Up?
Five Characters in Search of an Exit
To Serve Man
The Odyssey of Flight 33
Nightmare at 20,000 Feet

Analyst
04-28-2005, 10:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I love the twilight zone. There were a lot of episodes that sucked, but there were also a lot of brilliant ones. Some of my favorites are:

Time Enough at Last
Eye of the Beholder
To Serve Man
The Odyssey of Flight 33
Nightmare at 20,000 Feet

[/ QUOTE ]

My other favorite show, The Simpsons, gets extra bonus points for parodying at least a couple of the above episodes!

slickpoppa
04-28-2005, 10:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Time Enough at Last
Eye of the Beholder
To Serve Man
The Odyssey of Flight 33
Nightmare at 20,000 Feet

[/ QUOTE ]

My other favorite show, The Simpsons, gets extra bonus points for parodying at least a couple of the above episodes!

[/ QUOTE ]

I've always wondered why they never did a parody on the Monster's are Due on Maple Street. It would be perfect for a Halloween Episode, and they ran out of ideas a long time ago.

Vince Young
04-28-2005, 10:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Eye of the Beholder

[/ QUOTE ]
Along with The Masks

Phoenix1010
04-28-2005, 10:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Time Enough at Last
Eye of the Beholder
To Serve Man
The Odyssey of Flight 33
Nightmare at 20,000 Feet

[/ QUOTE ]

I love the Twilight Zone, and this is a good list of my favorites. Time Enough At Last if I had to pick just one. I believe Family Guy had a nice parody of this episode.

Glenn
04-28-2005, 10:20 PM
Can I get some love for "Death Ship". It was from the 1hr season, so it was too long, but it's great.

Analyst
04-28-2005, 10:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I've always wondered why they never did a parody on the Monster's are Due on Maple Street. It would be perfect for a Halloween Episode, and they ran out of ideas a long time ago.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sadly, they do seem to be running out of steam, though it was still strong a few seasons ago and there's still an occasional gem; almost every episode has something to make it worth watching.

They actually did a something of a parody of "Monsters . . ." with the two aliens at the end of one of the Holloween shows. That, and "Time Enough At Last" and "Terror at 30,000 Feet" are the ones that come to mind. Any others?

slickpoppa
04-28-2005, 10:25 PM
They parodied Terror at 20,000 feet and To Serve Man, but not Time Enough at Last (but Family Guy did). And the part where the aliens are on the spaceship talking about the board with a nail in it was at best a loose reference to The Monsters are Due on Maple Street. They definitely could have made a good full sketch about it

Analyst
04-28-2005, 10:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
They parodied Terror at 20,000 feet and To Serve Man, but not Time Enough at Last (but Family Guy did). And the part where the aliens are on the spaceship talking about the board with a nail in it was not really a reference to Monster are Due on Maple Street

[/ QUOTE ]

There was definitely a "Time Enough At Last" parody, in the episode where Marge gets mugged. She's so afraid to leave the house that she can't help the mailman when he gets caught under the mailtruck - she just tells him he can read the magazines. Before he can do so, though, there go the glasses with a "It's not fair!" and (unnecessarily) the Twilight Zone theme plays in the backgroud.

slickpoppa
04-28-2005, 10:34 PM
dont remember that, but i'll take your word for it

elwoodblues
04-28-2005, 11:11 PM
The one with the bookworm who hides in the bank vault during his lunch break to read. Big explosion (nuclear holocaust) --- he's the only one left. Happily finds his way to the public library where he promptly accidentally sits on his reading glasses.

Blarg
04-28-2005, 11:39 PM
To serve man is great, but my favorite is one where an astroanut comes back from space wounded in the crash of his capsule, and notices his friends and the newspapers don't make any mention of one of the astronauts with him. His friends and everyone look at him like he's nuts when he mentions one extra astronaut. The next day, same thing when another one of the astronauts who was there in the hospital with him is no longer remembered by the others, or by anyone, nor is he in the papers. And so it goes...memories and reality itself changed day by day as he wonders what the hell is going on and when he's going to disappear, too.

And the Billy Mummy episode is great, where he's wishing people into the cornfield after he turns them into monsters, etc. Great stuff. Charles Beaumont wrote most of the good, really creative episodes and gave the series its trademark crazy themes along the lines of, what would happen if you wore the shoes or played the saxophone of a dead man. He had a book of his short stories still in print a while back; that was a really good read.

An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge, from an Ambrose Bierce short story, was also an episode, extremely well done too. It was actually a UCLA student film that was bought and shoved directly into the series.

I also liked the one where the neighbors each start suspecting each other of being alien invaders, and the whole neighborhood gets hysterical and starts choosing up sides against each other.

There were so many good, memorable episodes.

Blarg
04-28-2005, 11:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
good episode.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that was a Beaumont. Great show.

Blarg
04-28-2005, 11:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
They parodied Terror at 20,000 feet and To Serve Man, but not Time Enough at Last (but Family Guy did). And the part where the aliens are on the spaceship talking about the board with a nail in it was at best a loose reference to The Monsters are Due on Maple Street. They definitely could have made a good full sketch about it

[/ QUOTE ]

Loose reference? It was a direct reference and about as clear as possible.

A funny one, too.

Non_Comformist
04-28-2005, 11:48 PM
Agreed, I am not sure why the new one didn't work as well. I saw a few episodes and the only thing I could pin point was the moral or message was more obvious and blunt in the new TZ than in the original. This isn't to say the orignial did not have a message, rather in the new one it seemed like they creators put too much emphasis on that at the sacrifice of the scifi.

slickpoppa
04-28-2005, 11:49 PM
possibly, but the rest of the sketch (the monkey's paw) had nothing to do with the Monsters are Due on Maple Street. also, they did not use the board with the nail to kill each other. they definitely could have come up with a whole sketch parodying it