PDA

View Full Version : Making a read

thatpfunk
04-28-2005, 05:28 AM
No reads before the hand:

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 6 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Hero ($26.5)
BB ($42.4)
UTG ($33.9)
MP ($88.45)
CO ($63.2)
Button ($47.81)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif. Hero posts a blind of $0.25.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, CO calls $0.50, Button calls $0.50, <font color="#CC3333">Hero (poster) raises to $0.75</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to $2.5</font>, CO folds, Button folds, Hero calls $2.

Flop: ($7) 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, J/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets $3</font>, Hero calls $3.

Turn: ($13) 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets $3</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $15</font>, BB calls $12.

River: ($43) 8/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero calls $5.50 (All-In), BB calls $5.50.

Final Pot: $54

theredpill5
04-28-2005, 05:36 AM
WTF is this ? That looks like you are on TILT. That is how I play when I'm on tilt.

Fold preflop. Quit playing any two suited. People who play any two suited are on my buddy list.

thatpfunk
04-28-2005, 05:38 AM
No tilt. Only playing one table and watching a little TV. I thought I was playing well.

boondockst
04-28-2005, 05:40 AM
small suited gappers aren't bad. But don't raise with them. And for god's sakes don't bluff with them as bottom pair. If you really need clarification, you'll find the winnings from them in the PokerTracker columns labeled "Straight" and "Flush" not "One Pair"

The_Bends
04-28-2005, 05:43 AM
Unless the BB is truely awful there is no way in hell the $3 bet on the turn is an attempt to get you to fold.

Fold PF, Fold Flop. If you want to be aggressive raise the flop to $10 and see what he does.

thatpfunk
04-28-2005, 05:44 AM
I min-raised, merely an experiment, but it is notable. I was doing it with a wide range of hands tongiht to build slightly bigger pots. I was playing very good postflop, imo. I normally don't min-raise, but anywho...

I was not bluffing.

vanHelsing
04-28-2005, 05:52 AM
Interesting hand.
I play it different on every street.
But as I respect you as a knowledgeable poster, I am sure, there is something you want to tell us about it...

Popinjay
04-28-2005, 05:56 AM
if you had no reads before the hand this is horrible

thatpfunk
04-28-2005, 05:57 AM
Severe underbets don't threaten me? /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

TheWorstPlayer
04-28-2005, 06:21 AM
Any reason you didn't push the turn? Also, I got called down all-in by AK unimproved on the river today, too. But I had AQ unimproved. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Edit: Mine was a pot-sized river bet though./images/graemlins/confused.gif

Jazza
04-28-2005, 06:22 AM
a case can be made for your postflop play, but i really don't like your call preflop, you don't even have position

thatpfunk
04-28-2005, 06:26 AM
Yes, PF, the call is marginal, at best.

I was making lots of marginal plays, etc, esp. regarding the size of my stackm but I felt at the table it would assist me doubling or tripling up.

JaBlue
04-28-2005, 06:35 AM
if you want to do this kind of stuff, don't buy in short.

Jazza
04-28-2005, 06:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah what's up with that?

unless this was a private 2+2 table in which case the whole hand makes a lot more sense

thatpfunk
04-28-2005, 06:48 AM
No 2+2 table.

Worst PLayer hit it on the head.

thatpfunk
04-28-2005, 06:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand your point and respectfully disagree.

The table context allowed me to steal lots because they were afraid of my ability to push a wide variety of hands post flop. Everything just felt right in context basically.

jhall23
04-28-2005, 07:10 AM
Seems like there was a decent chance you were ahead based on the raise pre-flop and weak betting.

Curious, if the betting had been pretty much the same but you had position on the guy would you still be putting the rest of your chips in on the river or would you check behind if checked to?

-Skeme-
04-28-2005, 09:53 AM
Your stack doesn't look big enough to get cute with these hands. Uh, if I were to raise with garbage I'd probably do it in position where I have a chance to take it down when they miss. On the flop I don't get why you're check-calling? If you think he missed, why not raise? Alright, did that on the turn. Sounds like he has JJ to me, but these low limit players are always harder to put on hands. He could have AK, too. Not sure why you jammed, either. I don't really like the hand. Curious to see results, though.

KowCiller
04-28-2005, 11:10 AM
If I wanted to get fancy with this, I'd raise more preflop and check-raise all-in on the turn.

At these stakes on Party 90% of the time WEAK BET == WEAK HAND.

Glad you got AK to pay off /images/graemlins/grin.gif

KoW

thatpfunk
04-28-2005, 03:29 PM
Villian calls with AKo and MHIG.

Drizztdj
04-28-2005, 03:37 PM
You could "play" your heart out, but that sort of play is only going to work vs. someone who's willing to laydown a hand.

thatpfunk
04-28-2005, 03:59 PM
kow,

I didn't want to CR the flop for 2 reasons:

I wanted a blank to fall on the turn.
I felt I had more fold equity if said blank falls.

thatpfunk
04-28-2005, 04:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Curious, if the betting had been pretty much the same but you had position on the guy would you still be putting the rest of your chips in on the river or would you check behind if checked to?

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting question. If I was last to act and the hand had played out similarly (I'm not sure it would have) I probably have pushed because I would have thought it was my only chance of winning the pot.

If the board didn't pair 8's on the river, I may have given up on the hand and checked, but it would depend on table context and the villian.

KowCiller
04-28-2005, 04:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
kow,

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm on the same page with you man. Did you misread my post? Check-raise all in on the turn. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

nh bro.

KoW

TrailofTears
04-28-2005, 05:20 PM
That's all fine and dandy, but why not push the turn instead of using the payment plan. More fequity, less awkwardness. Nice read, but I think there are lots of hands like this that end up with villain holding QQ and hero not posting about his great "read."

-Trail

thatpfunk
04-28-2005, 06:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
That's all fine and dandy, but why not push the turn instead of using the payment plan. More fequity, less awkwardness.

[/ QUOTE ]

See my response to Kow below, but the awkwardness of the play is put upon the villian in this hand, no?

[ QUOTE ]
Nice read, but I think there are lots of hands like this that end up with villain holding QQ and hero not posting about his great "read."

[/ QUOTE ]

I posted this hand to hopefully rile up some people because it is not normal for this board.

There are obviously many times when this hand will not play out as it did, but, as I think I have indicated, before the turn call I was ~95% confident in my bet.

Also, to be fair to myself, I generally post more hands in which I lose rather than win.

thatpfunk
04-28-2005, 07:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

kow,

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm on the same page with you man. Did you misread my post? Check-raise all in on the turn.

nh bro.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gotcha, I was referring to the comment in your OP "bet more on the flop." I don't think I had the option since I check-called. Any other flop options worth considering (aside from folding, which most people wanted, but not me /images/graemlins/tongue.gif)

As far as raising all in on the turn, I honestly am not sure why I did not. I considered it, but moved my bet back down to pot sized as either way I am pot committed.

Does anyone thing there is a large difference between all-in v. pot-sized? I was varying my bets a lot, so, I dunno...

hukilai
04-28-2005, 08:26 PM
Just fold preflop. If not, fold on the flop.

Edit: Ok, I know I am bad, but still do not like preflop raise/call.

-Skeme-
04-28-2005, 08:29 PM
He shows AKo and Skeme's second read is good.

fimbulwinter
04-28-2005, 11:13 PM
preflop is terrible. the other streets aren't so good either.

fim

thatpfunk
04-28-2005, 11:16 PM
thanks. postflop comments would be great.