PDA

View Full Version : Let's re-raise an all-in with 55 on the bubble!

ilya
04-28-2005, 04:11 AM
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t300 (5 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Hero (t1585)
SB (t2026)
BB (t1660)
UTG (t605)
MP (t2124)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 5/images/graemlins/club.gif, 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to t605 (All-In)</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold

Apathy
04-28-2005, 04:24 AM
Not a terrible idea to push, but it looks like you can get into the money without a showdown probably so I would fold this and steal like crazy from the dudes on my left.

syka16
04-28-2005, 04:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Not a terrible idea to push, but it looks like you can get into the money without a showdown probably so I would fold this and steal like crazy from the dudes on my left.

[/ QUOTE ]

How can you fold this?

elonkra
04-28-2005, 04:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How can you fold this?

[/ QUOTE ]

I tend to think folding is the right move too, since he's likely facing a coinflip at best, and it's very likely that both blinds will defend, and almost certain that at least one will. Of course, this means your opposition might double up and put you in danger if he has a hand and the blinds are calling w/any two, and of course you'll probably have a good shot at winning a big pot if the blinds fold their $450 investment to your push, so I dunno.

Blarg
04-28-2005, 04:48 AM
Looks like the short stack's impending demise could get him in the money by the skin of his teeth, but ... my thought is he's probably not going to get a better hand to push with than this for a while.

What you advise is definitely the safer course. But it's hard for me to reconcile passing up a relatively good situation while crossing your fingers that you'll both bump into a better situation later and that the short stack will actually go out. Some times those guys find a way to stay alive. Those chips would be pretty nice to pick up, and hero is about to lose roughly a third of his stack as the blinds pass him, too.

syka16
04-28-2005, 04:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

the blinds are going to tighten up here. He's got close to anytwo here and you're getting great pot odds. Stealing from CO is overvalued. Co+1 requires a decent hand. So you'll just blind down.

How can you fold this?

[/ QUOTE ]

I tend to think folding is the right move too, since he's likely facing a coinflip at best, and it's very likely that both blinds will defend, and almost certain that at least one will. Of course, this means your opposition might double up and put you in danger if he has a hand and the blinds are calling w/any two, so I dunno.

[/ QUOTE ]

AA suited
04-28-2005, 05:07 AM
you're at 5BB. you're at a coin flip, at best.

if you call and lose, you're down to 3BB. you then will have 2 hands left before you're the blind and lose folding equity.

i would fold, and steal blinds over losing folding equity.

Now the question is what would you do if you had 77/88/99??

ilya
04-28-2005, 01:15 PM
First of all, please note that it's not literally *the bubble.* There are 5 players left.

I think a key consideration in this hand is that if I fold, one of the blinds is bound to call UTG's all-in, and I'll be getting a free chance at seeing another player eliminated.
OTOH! The pot is laying me 1.75:1 and I've gotta say I think my 55 is a favorite against UTG's range. Those are some pretty sweet odds.
OTOH! One way to get an intuition about this hand is to imagine that I was actually in the BB, closing the action after UTG pushes and everyone else folds. Then, ask how many BB UTG would have to have for me to have the same pot odds in that situation as I do here. The answer in this case is about 4.25BB (i.e. 3.25 for me to call in the BB). I'm not sure this gives me a better intuition though!

Phil Van Sexton
04-28-2005, 01:28 PM
Push.

Sam T.
04-28-2005, 01:54 PM
With 1055 in the pot and just 605 to call, you are getting the odds you need - push to isolate.

You may be dominated, probably a coinflip, but there is the outside chance he's on A2-A5, which would be great.

Sam

zambonidrivr
04-28-2005, 01:57 PM
it's the button on the far left. it says fold. click it

Phil Van Sexton
04-28-2005, 02:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
it's the button on the far left. it says fold. click it if you enjoy getting blinded off in 4th place

[/ QUOTE ]

swarm
04-28-2005, 02:27 PM
This is definitely a play for 1st move. Any decent player UTG is pushing any two, even if it is 72off. There is no doubt you are ahead.

I don't no why everyone is so certain the blinds will defend. If you push, most likely the will sit back.

As long as SB and BB don't have loose calling standards i'm pushing.

rollingdirty
04-28-2005, 02:40 PM

Phil Van Sexton
04-28-2005, 02:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This is definitely a play for 1st move. Any decent player UTG is pushing any two, even if it is 72off. There is no doubt you are ahead.

[/ QUOTE ]

edit: Ilya said the same thing I was going to say.

ilya
04-28-2005, 02:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I don't no why everyone is so certain the blinds will defend. If you push, most likely the will sit back.

[/ QUOTE ]

The blinds may not defend, you're right. But they probably will, as UTG only has 2xBB. The big blind will be getting better than 3:1 on his call, so he *should* call with basically any two....sure, lots of times players don't do what they should, but by and large people do call in that situation.

Also, no decent player UTG is pushing any two. Why would he do that knowing he has virtually 0 folding equity?

pooh74
04-28-2005, 02:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Please explain your pot odds here for me...

[/ QUOTE ]

UTG pushed his last 605. BB=300. SB=150. 450+605=1055. It costs you 605 to call. ~1.7:1 odds...which become more likely/guaranteed by reraising all in...In basic terms, pushing is insurance to get those odds locked up.

For those who say fold, what's your plan?...

pooh74
04-28-2005, 02:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The blinds may not defend, you're right. But they probably will, as UTG only has 2xBB. The big blind will be getting better than 3:1 on his call, so he *should* call with basically any two....sure, lots of times players don't do what they should, but by and large people do call in that situation.

Also, no decent player UTG is pushing any two. Why would he do that knowing he has virtually 0 folding equity?

[/ QUOTE ]

My general read on UTG (at least how i would play it) is that he has an above average hand...say Q7o or better. He knows he basically has 1 or 2 hands left after this one so anything above average he is pushing...27 he would fold and wait for the blind...

I dont think any 2 is likely...but a huge range is very likely (at least top 50%)

rollingdirty
04-28-2005, 02:53 PM

pooh74
04-28-2005, 03:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I see what your saying but your assumption is that his pair is good and he is racing a coin flip with a few points to his favor. If UTG has 66 or above which he quite easily could have he would be dominated 8 to 1 or whatever the exact odds are. So you want him to rish 40 percent of his stack to get 1.7 to 1 on the chance that he is ahead? I am not being smart here i really want to see what reasoning you are using.

[/ QUOTE ]

We dont know what UTG has...you dont, I dont...(hence "we" i guess). But, we can put him on a range of possible hands based on the situation. What do we know? He is UTG which means half of his stack is about to be blinded on the next hand...this means, he may not want to leave to fate any possibility that his next hand will be total trash and he will have to play it anyway.

Now, 55 is a favorite over any two over cards and has 22-44 crushed. against A2-A4 you're a big favorite. Villain's range of pushing hands is so wide here that overall u stand to be a &gt;50% favorite against villain's pushing RANGE. Again, his RANGE...no, we dont know what he has...and yes, u may be severly dominated...but u cant let so much dead money sit in that pot with 55 here.

This is the point in the game where u have to decide whther U will leave your ITM prospects to others at the table, or make them for yourself...this is a +EV opportunity that will not ALWAYS work out but you must make it to be successful player IMO.

Your point is moot...of course you can lose this hand...we are on the poker forums, right?

rollingdirty
04-28-2005, 03:36 PM

pooh74
04-28-2005, 03:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hate to bring up a mistake here for you but any two over cards except for a suited conncector which leaves you behind..

[/ QUOTE ]

? I dont undertand what you are saying at all...not to be rude.

ilya
04-28-2005, 03:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hate to bring up a mistake here for you but any two over cards except for a suited conncector which leaves you behind..

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe he's trying to allude to the fact that 55 is marginally behind QJs-89s and QTs-T8s.

pooh74
04-28-2005, 03:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe he's trying to allude to the fact that 55 is marginally behind QJs-89s and QTs-T8s.

[/ QUOTE ]

"allude" being the operative word.

In any regard...that's what the 1.7:1 pot odds are for.