PDA

View Full Version : Basic Heads Up Question

elonkra
04-28-2005, 02:18 AM
First few hands after the field narrows to two. It's you and a seemingly respectable player. It's obvious to him that you are an aggressive player (you had to show down some garbage hands that held up on your way ITM when forced to push w/nothing). But you're no longer the shorstack (you have roughtly $9500 and he has roughly $4500, and you've shown that you know how to protect your chips as well in the last ten minutes or so of the tourney. In the first 10 hands or so of heads up play, no flops are seen. He pushed once, you pushed twice (once w/AK, once w/Ax when he tried to limp in from the small blind). Big blind is $800. I'm not sure how loose I should be here? Is it push or fold here, or do you attempt to limp in with some marginal hands here in hopes that you can see a few for cheap and outplay him postflop w/your position once or twice and them bully him out of the game?

On about the 11th hand, I pushed with Q8 off in an attempted steal, and I have no idea whether this was a good play or not. I had $9500 and he had $4500. I know this is probably an boring rookie question, but I'm adjusting to ten-handed play for the first time and I'm not used to getting heads up with the blinds so high. I'm used to getting to heads up play with $50/$100 blinds or less. Is it push or fold right off the bat in this situtation, or should I risk a little bit attempting to limp in from the SB in hopes of hitting or outplaying the guy postflop w/position? I'm not sure, because a couple of limps are gonna cost me $800 in chips if I get raised or bet into on the flop w/o a hand, or even more if I make a move at the pot w/nothing postflop and get raised. It seems I'm in a position here where I have two choices: (1) try to see some flops for cheap and hit or steal later in the hand w/position, at pain of losing my chiplead if I get played at; or (2) risk all my chips preflop w/marginal hands (can't wait for monsters all day w/these blinds)

Any input?

jzpiano14
04-28-2005, 02:22 AM
Sometimes i like to double the blind from the button this gives him a chance to fold, or if he comes over the top and you hand is iffy you can get out with minimal cost. But with the blinds being 400/800 and him only having a little less than 6BB he is going to push with any A, PP, or even a K.

Shanemex
04-28-2005, 02:30 AM
Step 1: Push
Step 2: <font color="white"> ? </font>
Step 3: Profit

The blinds are too high to take flops unless he is a really weak tight player and will check/fold most flops. Any raise other than all in pot commits you, so just push.

EMcWilliams
04-28-2005, 02:40 AM
Also too with heads up play, a lot of it is really your aggresiveness against your opponent. I find that on average, an aggressive player will do much better in heads up situations. If he hasnt shown much in terms of defending his blind, then go for it. Be aggressive. The key to heads up play is using your chip advantage by being aggressive. In the SnG, or for that fact any heads up, one cannot wait for his high PP, AJ-AK, you need to push your edge that you may have to its fullest extent, be aggressive.