PDA

View Full Version : i suck at poker, please flame me

liucipher
04-28-2005, 12:46 AM
I just started playing $11s and have played 11 with one 3rd place finish, on average placing 5th and losing in level 5 of blinds. I have officially kissed goodbye to 1/4 of the bankroll I built on the $6s.

Tiny sample size my ass, I take this as proof that I suck at poker and should never again be allowed near a deck of cards (virtual or real) or anything involving a random number generator.

Somebody please explain to me the concept of push w/ any two and/or stealing and/or how to not suck at poker. No matter how many posts I read, I CANNOT for the life of me get past the bubble. I get pickpocketed and blinded out of existence and then am forced to push for 3X BB w/ Kxo. I wish I was a monkey because I think a monkey would have a better ITM% than me.

dfscott
04-28-2005, 01:06 AM
I understand your frustration. I struggled for a long time before it finally clicked. All I can suggest is to post a few bubble hands. Include ones you pushed as well as ones you folded that you thought were marginal.

You are in the right place to learn -- you just need to do your homework. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Edit: I'm not expert, but if you want to send me a couple of complete tourneys, I'll be happy to give you my take on 'em. A couple of posters here did the same for me and it really helped me out, so the least I can do is return the favor for someone else.

tjh
04-28-2005, 02:38 AM
I am playing the 11's at Ultimate Bet and mixing in the 20's as my bankroll allows (note that UB is a different game than party). So far it looks like I may move up to the 20's. I learned by reading these folks posts. You can do the same.

It isn't push with any two all the time any time. Take advantage of opportunity is how I put it. If it is folded to you and you have enough chips to chase someone off the blinds then chase em.

I became a believer by keeping score. Mostly in cash games but also in tourneys. For each blind steal I would put a check on a piece of paper, if it failed I put an X. If it failed and I followed up on the flop and they folded then I put PF on the paper. The ROI was amazing!

Folks who watch me play early in a tourney have no idea that I turn into a maniac later on.

First to act = steal the blinds.

Sometimes I wait to see when the first few hands that are folded preflop occur. Then I know that the time is ripe. 3XBB and I see what happens. If that is more than 40% of my chips then I wait for an Ace if I can and I push. If I have chips I steal with any two since I am not risking all of my chips.

Some standards...
3 times in a row and you almost have to take a short break. Sometimes I steal with rags twice and find myself UTG with a better hand than the previous two and I fold it /images/graemlins/shocked.gif .
I have already bought the price of my next orbit so I can relax and UTG s*cks and the peasants are likely to fight back after being pushed around.

Take notes !!
Some players will pay to see the flop. If you see the flop and have some stack depth to play around with you might find that they will fold postflop. Note that you have very little fold equity post flop if you did not raise preflop.

By the Bubble I have notes on players like
Will Yield
Buys Orphans
Yields Post FLop
Aggro

You must take action. The blinds are random hands with money in front of them. Make them pay to play.

As for learning from the posts here.

Read the posted hand. Note position number of players and stack sizes. Note the hand in question. Note any reads that are included in the post. Decide what you would do with that hand. Understand why you would do what you would do. Then read the replies and try to figure out why they would do what they would do. Sure sometimes 1/2 say push 1/2 say fold but not always /images/graemlins/shocked.gif .

There was a post on the 17 steps of a SNG player. That post was good. I do not have it bookmarked, anyone ?

Oh...
your sample size is ridiculous and I doubt if youwill get much trafic on this thread because of it. You could have asked the same question without exposing the weakness of your data. Showing statistical ignorance is no way to get help around here. Posting hands works. If we ignore the post then it was not interesting or else you made the right play just got the wrong results. We love to compare thoughts on real hands. Take advantage of that. I did and I feel like I should send a check of thanks to some of these guys.. well come to think of it they probably got my money at the table already /images/graemlins/mad.gif

Take notes on each game at the 11's. What mistakes did you make ? Before you start make a game plan.

Something like, " Short stack on the bubble is my weakness, I will work to build a stack pre bubble. I will do this by preserving chips early on so when I double up it will be substantial. In addition to tight agg early on at about level 3 or 4 I will begin to look for opportunties such as position raises, orphan pots, etc. I will relentlessy steal blinds because I need the chips at the bubble. "

Also take responsibility for your performance. Folks who blame the cards or luck never strive to improve. You must strive to improve.

Freudian
04-28-2005, 02:42 AM
I started yesterday with 7 straight losses. Ended up the day +10 buy-ins. The swings within a small number of SnGs can be extreme.

Benholio
04-28-2005, 03:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Tiny sample size my ass,

[/ QUOTE ]

It really is, though!

You should be pushing more than your opponents unless they are nuts. Also don't limp or call any hands when the blinds are big unless you are trapping. This includes completing the SB too much, or calling min-raises. Don't put any chips in the pot unless you are willing to shove them all.

Blarg
04-28-2005, 03:17 AM
You can never underestimate the power of a small sample size, bro. 11 SNG's is like an hour or two of playing for many if not most of the serious players. How could you possibly think what happens in an hour or two, or whatever, in a night, is really telling you anything you need to know about how good you are? In other words, cheer up, shut up, whatever just choose your up, and don't be so down.

I will say that if you're even asking the question, you probably lack confidence and I'll bet it shows in your play, making you too passive or too aggressive, either way. You've either got to get your head straight or step down to the 5's again for a while. I'd recommend the head-straightening option. The 10's aren't really notably harder than the 5's. If you can beat the 5's, you'll find yourself beating the 10's.

mike28
04-28-2005, 03:34 AM
Once it gets down to bubble play you don't call, you push. Don't bleed off chips by calling, you're going to need them to jack blinds.