PDA

View Full Version : Harv's Pooh-Bah post (this thread will actually make you dumber)

Harv72b
04-27-2005, 11:08 PM
It is at 1600 posts, right? 'Cause otherwise I'm gonna feel like a total dumbass in a minute. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

There are a lot of things that I'd like to touch on right now. Pamela Anderson is one. And, yes, Mischa Barton is another. Luckily, I have two hands and so there's no need to make a difficult decision.

But, slightly more seriously, I wanted to use this thread to come out of the poker closet. Yes, that's right--I prefer pocket queens. Wait, no...pocket rockets. Damn, all the good hands are gay innuendos, aren't they? Big Slick? Better just get to the point...

I'm a noob. Really; I'd never played a single hand of Texas Hold'Em before last September, and only rarely played poker at all (even then, just in drunken penny-ante home games). I watched the 2003 WSOP on ESPN, kinda dug it, watched again in 2004, and one night decided to give it a shot on the internet. I opened up a play money account on Pacific, did all the standard donk things like cold-calling with any A and thinking "well, it's only got a 2 kicker, but a J is a pretty good card". Luckily, it was play money & so everyone else was in the same boat.

Then, I went out and bought two books on poker, deciding that I was going to learn how to play for real. One of them was Phil Hellmuth's "Play Poker Like the Pros". Despite that, I'm here today. /images/graemlins/wink.gif The other was Matthew Hilger's "Internet Texas Hold'Em", and that actually did teach me to play a decent game. But since the other dolts on the play money tables weren't, I couldn't gauge how I was doing. So I opened a real money account with $20.

Long story short, I eventually cashed out of Pacific up about $100, and deposited that $100 on Empire. There were a few hands on PokerStars that netted me $300 or so as well. But that's basically the real deal--I've been playing this game for less than a year. I don't have my Pacific or Stars hands in PT, but I'd guesstimate that overall I have somewhere around 50k hands. Total. From the first attempts at .01/.02 to my recent foray into 15/30 (kids, don't try this at home). There goes whatever cred I'd built up on this forum. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

However, there's another thing to announce tonight. In addition to achieving Pooh-Bah status, I have just cracked the $10,000 mark on the party skins. As in, profits. No tournaments, no bonuses, no rakeback, just what I've won playing ring games. Seven months into my poker "career", and I've not only never busted my bankroll, but I've made enough money to buy 3 Yugos. That's pretty sweet.

I couldn't have done it without this forum and you guys, so I thank all of you (even the newbies/lurkers who stumbled into this thread and have no idea about any of this). Of course I couldn't have done it without 2+2 Publishing's excellent books. But, mostly I couldn't have done it without a computer. And I guess I had a little to do with it, too. In fact, screw you guys, it's all me. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

In summary, the meaning of life can best be expressed as the square root of pi times the atomic weight of nondairy creamer; tpyos nevr hur tanyone; I still can't make screen captures work even though I've been told multiple times how to do it; if at first you don't succeed, go nuclear; and 1 out is more than enough to draw to, as long as you have good implied odds.

What, you're still reading this? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

jason_t
04-27-2005, 11:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
And, yes, Mischa Barton is another.

[/ QUOTE ]

I /images/graemlins/heart.gif Harv72b.

Okay, back to reading your post.

istewart
04-27-2005, 11:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
And, yes, Rachel Bilson is another.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP.

brettbrettr
04-27-2005, 11:11 PM
What, no q-tip style dead links?

Harv72b
04-27-2005, 11:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
And, yes, Rachel Bilson is another.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP.

[/ QUOTE ]

Much obliged. I've been working on my finger dexterity, so I think I could manage all 3, even with just two hands.

Harv72b
04-27-2005, 11:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What, no q-tip style dead links?

[/ QUOTE ]

Link (http://www.bustedlinksarefornits.com/)

Harv72b
04-27-2005, 11:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I /images/graemlins/heart.gif Harv72b.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought I clarified that I wasn't coming out of that closet?? /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Pokey
04-27-2005, 11:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I've made enough money to buy 3 Yugos.

[/ QUOTE ]

Keep saving your money -- they're cheaper by the dozen.

rmarotti
04-27-2005, 11:27 PM
Dude. Using the /images/graemlins/heart.gif isn't gay AT ALL. Trust me.

Nice post.

Yobz
04-27-2005, 11:46 PM
Gratz!